Verizon Wireless text doesn't show up in Status bar or Unlock screen

thenowherekid

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of screen shots of peoples Droids and a while back I noticed that I didn't have the Verizon Wireless text on the status bar dropdown or the lock screen. I can't remember having it on there ever. Anyone else have this?
View attachment 5188

you install a ROM/theme - its gonna delete some unneeded things

do you really need it though? I dont have it either but im not too upset about it:icon_ banana:

o yea well w/e u have on ur phone deleted that - guess u cant put something there lol

Just using basic droidmod. I have some stuff themed. I'd like to be able to customize it if anyone had any ideas let me know.

Are you a former Alltell customer who still has an Alltell plan? I am and in my area there are a lot of us. The Verizon Wireless text does not show up on BB or Ultimate Droid, but on Cyanogen mod the text "Roaming Indicator Off" shows up in the notification panel. I tried to hex edit the eri.xml file and push it back, but it didn't work. Part of the problem is I really don't know that much about hex editing, but I figured it would at least change something in the notification bar.

Any experts out there that know how to edit that file.

btw - Pull Down Editor doesn't work, but if somebody knew how to edit that program that might work.

Yeah I'm on an Alltel plan since it was a lot cheaper than Verizon's. I just switched to Ultimate Droid. That is really dumb if thats the case. I really like getting my Droid the custom feeling.

I'm going to keep messing with it, and I'll post here if I figure it out. Maybe someone smarter than me will figure this out and let us know how to do it.

CEnnis over on Cyanogenmod forum found where the Roaming Indicator Off message is stored and provided a fix for me: CyanogenMod Forum

Please note - this works for former Alltel customers that kept their Alltel phone plans after the Verizon merger and instead of "Verizon Wireless" have "Roaming Indicator Off" displayed in their banner. The text is located in the resources.arsc file in the framework-res.apk. I take no credit for figuring this out, CEnnis got it to work and deserves all of the credit!!

Thanks for the info. I read over the thread. Opened up resources.arsc and found the text. Edited it but I still don't have any text there. Oh well. I guess having nothing looks better than Roaming Indicator off.

Did your notification panel ever say "Roaming Indicator Off"? I notice you are using Chevy's ROM, and in any non-cyanogen based ROM I've always had the same blank spot in the notification panel. I only get"Roaming Indicator Off" on Cyanogen based ROMs. My guess it is just a blank field in that resources.arsc file, but it would be pretty hard to narrow down which blank field it is and hex edit it so that it works. I would poke around and do some testing for you, but it would mean switching ROMs (again), and I am pretty happy with cyanogen at the moment. If I do wind up switching back to BB or some other non-cyanogen based ROM I'll definately take another look at it. I think it's doable, but it would take some trial and error.

No ive never had roaming indicator off. I appreciate the efforts. Finding a blank field in hex code would probably be quite a task so no worries.

Back