Verizon's Fee Increase Allows You To Break Your Contract & No Early Termination Fee

samiusmc

Reaction score
New Fee Increase May Allow You To Break Your Verizon Contract With No Early Termination Fee

Chances are if you’re on Verizon, you’re there for a reason. Because time and time again they have proven to have some of the best coverage and fastest 4G in the country. But what if you’re still not a happy customer? Well, it has come to our attention that Verizon has increased the “regulatory fee” they currently charge customers. How much you ask? Only a poultry 3 cents but according to The Consumerist, whether it’s $50 or 3 cents, that is enough for you to get out of your Verizon contract early and not have to pay that nasty Early Termination Fee. If you want to get into some more legal talk this change to your contract is known as a “material adverse change of contract” and according to standard contract law, could render the contract void if you don’t agree with these changes.

Now, despite the name official sounding name, a “regulatory fee” is not something charged by our government and is just another fee Verizon assesses. When talking with a Verizon rep, they may try to talk you out of it, give you the runaround but don’t be afraid to escalate to a supervisor or hang up and try someone else.

Keep in mind you only have 60 days from July 1st to make the cancellation and after that it will be assumed you have accepted any changes to your contract. To quote Verizon’s customer agreement,

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we’ll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you’re accepting the change. If you’re a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.

So if for some reason you have been unhappy with Verizon (blazing fast 4G LTE speeds caused your phone to melt?) or perhaps you had your eyes set on the numerous new phone’s that have launched on rival carriers, now might be your time to try something new.

New Fee Increase May Allow You To Break Your Verizon Contract With No Early Termination Fee

Interesting. Thanks for this bit of information. My parents have been wanting to move to a cheaper carrier as well as cancel my ex's and sister's line. This might be the opportunity they've been looking for.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

what would happen if i did this just so i can be out of contract? would i be technically be forced to switch carriers or can i just sign another contract next month with vzw? i just desperately need a new phone thats all.

what would happen if i did this just so i can be out of contract? would i be technically be forced to switch carriers or can i just sign another contract next month with vzw? i just desperately need a new phone thats all.

If you sign back up after july 7th you'll have tiered data.

That's not a problem for many of us. Eventually, grandfathered people will lose unlimited data. Nothing that's grandfathered stays forever.

so signing back up wont be a problem? even though i terminated my contract?

That's not a problem for many of us. Eventually, grandfathered people will lose unlimited data. Nothing that's grandfathered stays forever.

And eventually you'll die too. That doesn't mean you're going to go buy a casket tomorrow.

so signing back up wont be a problem? even though i terminated my contract?

No. They'll gladly lock you back in. But check with a rep about any kind of exclusionary period.

I've heard the "90-day waiting period" floating around... So you'd be out of a phone for 90 days? Why don't you just purchase a used phone if you need something new so badly?

Seems like a way to get people locked into newer plans. But if this truely works then its a great way for people to switch carriers without paying teeminatin fees.

I'm going to try this - I already switched carriers so I'm paying a monthly fee for a Verizon phone I don't use only because it's cheaper than the cancellation fee. I'll post an update as to how it goes...

Yeah let me know how it goes cause I'm gonna change carriers

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Would I have to return my phones I have now?

Last edited:
Would I have to return my phones I have now?

I would figure that there is no way that they'd let you keep the device if you got it at a promotional price.... but then that should also open them up for legally being respoinsible for what you paid as a discounted price. For instance if they offered you the T-Bolt for $249 and you were required to return it, I'd think that you could make a case against them to recoupe that $249....

Return and Service Termination

You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within three days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.
If you cancel your service after the 14-day period, but prior to the expiration of your minimum term, you will be responsible for all of the above-mentioned charges, including an Early Termination Fee.
If you return your merchandise, even by mistake, after the return period, you will not receive a refund and the merchandise you returned will not be returned to you.
At our discretion, we may decline your return or charge you a fee for a missing item, or for items that we determine are damaged or require service. If you return and we accept your merchandise within the return period, we will refund your purchase price, subject to the restocking fee. If you return a wireless device without a UPC on the box, the amount of the refund will be reduced by the amount of any mail-in rebate that was available for the wireless device at the time of purchase. Purchases made by cash or check, credit card or gift card will be refunded by check, credit card or gift card, respectively.

Back