Washed my DX

jen7724

Reaction score
Yes, I know, who does that? Well, I do apparently.

Long story short I was doing laundry and somehow threw my X in with it. I heard the clunk and instantly knew what it was so I grabbed it out, it was underwater for maybe 30 seconds. This was on Sunday and it's now Thursday and as you can imagine I now have a water damaged phone.

I was going to cut my losses and just get a new one but after it dried out it's attempting to turn back on (which gives me hope) but only shows the M logo and then goes to the Bootloader screen. It says Bootloader 30.03-Battery OK-Ok to program-Transfer Mode: USB. Phone had 2.1 when I bought it, I waited patiently and got 2.2 OTA, and then I rooted after the update. I am going to attempt to flash the sbf to see if it will get past bootloader but I don't know whether I should use the 2.1 version with RSD Lite or if I should try something else? I read in the "unbricking your droid x" forum that Motorola changed the bootloader so it bricks your phone if you try using RSD Lite with the OTA. So, try 2.1 w RSD or try a leaked 2.2? Another idea? Just trying to see if there's anything at all I might be able to do before I give up.

Like I said earlier, it goes to the Bootloader screen but then nothing else, I know water damaged = gone but it's tempting my curiosity to at least attempt to tinker with it at this point.

Thank you in advance for any responses or help!

Why don't you just file an insurance claim and pay the $90?

Because it's a challenge for me I guess. I just want to see if it "can" be fixed. Like I said in my OP, I know that it's done for the long run but I figure I'll learn something in the process if I can try to mess with it without the fear of bricking it. I was always scared to add a custom ROM after I rooted for fear of flashing this and doing that so this will give me practice so when the new one comes in maybe I'll be a little more bold.

Long story short I was doing laundry and somehow threw my X in with it. I heard the clunk and instantly knew what it was so I grabbed it out, it was underwater for maybe 30 seconds. This was on Sunday and it's now Thursday and as you can imagine I now have a water damaged phone.

I was going to cut my losses and just get a new one but after it dried out it's attempting to turn back on (which gives me hope) but only shows the M logo and then goes to the Bootloader screen. It says Bootloader 30.03-Battery OK-Ok to program-Transfer Mode: USB. Phone had 2.1 when I bought it, I waited patiently and got 2.2 OTA, and then I rooted after the update. I am going to attempt to flash the sbf to see if it will get past bootloader but I don't know whether I should use the 2.1 version with RSD Lite or if I should try something else? I read in the "unbricking your droid x" forum that Motorola changed the bootloader so it bricks your phone if you try using RSD Lite with the OTA. So, try 2.1 w RSD or try a leaked 2.2? Another idea? Just trying to see if there's anything at all I might be able to do before I give up.

Like I said earlier, it goes to the Bootloader screen but then nothing else, I know water damaged = gone but it's tempting my curiosity to at least attempt to tinker with it at this point.

I thought Bootloader 30.03 was OTA 2.2. Luckily the full sbf 2.2 is out today, and you could grab that and flash that with rsdlite 4.8

I thought Bootloader 30.03 was OTA 2.2. Luckily the full sbf 2.2 is out today, and you could grab that and flash that with rsdlite 4.8

Yea use the 2.2 SBF, do not attempt to use the 2.1 SBF or your phone will be doomed. As far as I know, there is currently no way to fix your phone if you try to flash 2.1 over 2.2 because of the bootloader differences. If something has changed in the past couple of weeks please somebody correct me, I haven't been on these forums in a while.

Thank you everybody! I plan on trying to fix it tomorrow, will let you know if anything happens.

My wife dropped her X in the tub 3 times before she was able to get it out. Had the same problems as you! I was able to get hers to work just fine.
Pull the battery out get in your car turn the heat on high and hold the back of the phone to a vent for 10 min. Then turn the ac on fullblast to cool the phone back down for 10 min. Put the battery back in let the phone charge for two hours then turn phone on and hopefully you will be good to go.
Do not attempt to turn the phone on until you have done everything above first. If this does not work for you then boot in recovery and do a factory reset. If you can get it to perform the reset then you are looking good. Give it some more time in the heat to dry out the remaining water cool again try booting again. Also make sure you hold the usb port/hdmi side of phone close to the vent as this is where the water has ability to cause issues. Good luck!

Last edited:
the BEST solution for water damaged devices:

1] get a cereal bowl or soup bowl or similar
2] fill the bowl up with rice <---YES RICE!!!
3] pull battery from phone
4] submerge phone and battery into rice bowl

leave them in the bowl for at least 3 days. the rice absorbs about 98% of the moisture from water-logged electronics. hopefully after the 3rd day your device works properly.

i have used this method on mp3 players, misc electronics, phones and a laptop (long story needed more than a bowl).

if your device is still screwed.....thats what insurance is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use Oat Meal! it absorbs moisture at a higher rate. I know that I have used both rice and Oat meal. Keep the 3 days for both.

Good luck!

I thought when a phone gets wet in the washer, that the appropriate fix was to immediately throw it in the dryer!

crazy2.gif

Good luck with it. Sounds like if you're getting the boot loader screen you should be able to restore it.

Use Oat Meal! it absorbs moisture at a higher rate. I know that I have used both rice and Oat meal. Keep the 3 days for both.

Good luck!

LOL in 3 Days it should dry out on its own. Oatmeal and Rice both must come in contact with the water to absorb it. Using a Hair drier or any other source of hot blowing air works much faster and is more effective.

LOL in 3 Days it should dry out on its own. Oatmeal and Rice both must come in contact with the water to absorb it. Using a Hair drier or any other source of hot blowing air works much faster and is more effective.[/QUOTE]

That's actually exactly what I did! I took it apart and used the hair dryer on it for about 30 minutes and then I let it sit out for 3 days. Ok, I'm about to give fixing it a go now that I have a little bit of time. Will report back!

Crap! Crap! Crap! Apparently I waited too long to download the 2.2 sbf and now it's been removed! I knew that was going to happen!

On to Google to search for a possible link...

Did anyone get it while it was up? Is it legit?

Crap! Crap! Crap! Apparently I waited too long to download the 2.2 sbf and now it's been removed! I knew that was going to happen!

On to Google to search for a possible link...

Did anyone get it while it was up? Is it legit?

You can still find it here:

Home

And if you end up filing a claim, just claim it as lost/stolen so you can keep it to tinker around with it.

Back