WebOS Like Task Switcher

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;8s92BLUj6r0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s92BLUj6r0]YouTube - webOS cards like multitasking on ANDROID[/video]

If you have ever looked at WebOS with an envious eye aimed at its great task switching ability, there is no need to anymore, Android can do it. In a recent development over at XDA, a member produced a freeware application that gives you WebOS like task switching abilities with the inclusion of a great gesture based app launcher, and more. The simply installed application allows you to set it as your home screen for those that have unrooted devices; otherwise you can set it as your default task switcher.

app is called itching thumb... its free. can be used as a task switcher or a home replacement launcher.
app will let you easily switch between apps using a like cards preview of all running apps, similar to palm pres and pixie. Great app and very stable. no FC on my evo....(knock on wood)...just select it as your home button, and your good to go!

Now if that interests you, look it up on the app store, or appbrain (if you use it).
Original XDA thread

Looks pretty cool. Didn't really work on my droid though. Double tapping home wouldn't bring it up.

Looks horrible on Fascinate. The Screens are blurry.

Nice "news" story. First time ever I've had to perform a physical battery pull. Not to mention the fact it used 20% battery and over 4 mins. of CPU usage in the 5 minutes I used it. Home double tap did not work as described. Previews were blurry at best even with root. Would not uninstall without a second (normal this time) reboot. Rooted Droid TUD 1.0.0 default slayher 1ghz kernel.

That being said, it is a cool concept. Will be keeping my eye on this one, but from a far distance at this point.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem to work with my launcherpro. It only opens sometimes, otherwise it kinda like zooms int he screen and takes me back to home everytime I hit the Home button.

took some tweaking but i got it to work nicely with my droid, i have it so that its my home launcher cause double tap wouldnt work and when it started to show signs it might work that way it would force close. but now as my home launcher it looks nice, gives room for more randomly used apps in the shaded dock, and if i hit home once in the card view it just takes my back to my adw home, i almost uninstalled it but im glad i had some patience with it cause its actually really slick with my cm6 d1 with slayher 1gz kernel, and if your rooted the cards will become high quality and then sometimes they wont, i think ive noticed that when u back out of an app they are blurry and when u hit the home button they are clear. not sure about that one yet tho.

Looks pretty cool. Didn't really work on my droid though. Double tapping home wouldn't bring it up.

works on my droid

also it asked for root permissions i wonder why

hmmm...i had the exact same problem that ryan mentioned (a couple posts up)..i tried it with launcherpro. I think it asks for root permission so it basically takes a screen shot of whatever other apps you're in so that when you're flipping through screens, the pics are clear. Otherwise, on a nonrooted phone, they're blurred. Thats what i think anyway.

Working just fine for me. Seems to be a slight memory hog, but nothing major. No homescreen redraws, just other apps having to load again.

Sent from my Droid

works on my droid

also it asked for root permissions i wonder why

hmmm...i had the exact same problem that ryan mentioned (a couple posts up)..i tried it with launcherpro. I think it asks for root permission so it basically takes a screen shot of whatever other apps you're in so that when you're flipping through screens, the pics are clear. Otherwise, on a nonrooted phone, they're blurred. Thats what i think anyway.

Ya that's the conclusion I came to, not that it worked

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

took some tweaking but i got it to work nicely with my droid, i have it so that its my home launcher cause double tap wouldnt work and when it started to show signs it might work that way it would force close. but now as my home launcher it looks nice, gives room for more randomly used apps in the shaded dock, and if i hit home once in the card view it just takes my back to my adw home, i almost uninstalled it but im glad i had some patience with it cause its actually really slick with my cm6 d1 with slayher 1gz kernel, and if your rooted the cards will become high quality and then sometimes they wont, i think ive noticed that when u back out of an app they are blurry and when u hit the home button they are clear. not sure about that one yet tho.

i was having the same problems as everyone else but i did this and it works so instead of going to normal home screen it goes to this and then if i hit home again it goes to the normal home screen. Works smooth for me on my D2 and rarely are the pics blurry. Hopefully will iron out the bugs in the next update

Back