What is your personal experience using a payment app?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have experience using a payment app such as Google Pay or Samsung Pay? I've been looking into it, because it would be nice, but in reality, how often is an electronic payment taken? Is it worth using?

It could be worth using. I use Android pay whenever available but... Then not everyone has it. I end up taking my cards anyways which I figure ruins the point. Maybe one day...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The problem I'm seeing is that my job is installing and repairing POS systems, and they're not being updated. If anyone, the smaller businesses are moving toward the future. Big business is at a stand-still right now.

What big business do you know takes it?

My grocery store takes it, the gas stations do as well. I have to keep my cards on me though when I go to Best Buy. Still have to swipe there. Pretty much all of the businesses around my house take Android Pay and Apple Pay.

From the Edge of the Galaxy

I had to use Google Wallet one time because I left my actual wallet at home one day. It worked pretty flawlessly, but I have no intention of using it again as long as I have my wallet on me.

Now that I think about it.....does Google Wallet even exist anymore....

Never used one and have no intention of using one. As a female, my purse and wallet are always on me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I had to use Google Wallet one time because I left my actual wallet at home one day. It worked pretty flawlessly, but I have no intention of using it again as long as I have my wallet on me.

Now that I think about it.....does Google Wallet even exist anymore....

It does, but it's format is different now. The "tap to pay" function was spun off to Android Pay and Google Wallet is still around to transfer funds from one person to another (a la PayPal) and for things like paying for apps. Why they split Wallet up like that is still beyond me.

I've used the tap-to-pay on a few occasions, mainly as a "just because" measure. Very few establishments have it...a convenience store chain here used to have the function but they no longer have that type of pay pad. I've noticed that Best Buy has the equipment but they don't have the software to back it up...kinda surprising given they're a technology store.

I'd probably continue to use it if it were more available. America is apparently rather behind on this tech compared to Japan and other countries...

Went from wallet to pay (Google) and love them both. Pay is a little more snappy. I mainly used it at subway.

I've used Wallet and/or Android Pay at Walgreens and McDonalds. Pretty much the only couple of places in my area that I've seen that have the hardware for it. There's a Subway across from my house, but the last time I ate there, they still weren't taking them.

Wal-Mart in my town has all of the new readers for the Chip & PIN cards, but I haven't seen anyone with one of those cards. Don't get me started on how we're going to an intermediate step of Chip & Signature that's less secure than the PIN method.

The times that I did use Tap & Pay, I found it very convenient. Pull phone out and unlock instead of pull wallet out, slide right card from wallet, swipe card, etc.

I'd use it more often if more locations near me accepted it.

What I like about Android Pay is that it actually issues a "fake" card number, instead of your actual card number. Seems to me that's a bit more secure than transmitting your card's info.

One drawback I found with Wallet and haven't tried yet now that I've got pay is that Wallet didn't allow me to get cash back and actually resulted in a failed transaction. Before I realized what the issue was, I had my card out and carried on. If Pay still doesn't allow cash back, that might limit how often I use it, because I don't often carry cash and would much rather get cash back during a transaction than pay a bank's ATM fee. My bank doesn't charge me anything, but there aren't many ATMs in my network up here.

EDIT: I just remembered that Staples takes it as well, but I haven't bought anything there in quite a long time that wasn't on the company's Staples card.

Last edited:
I've used Wallet and/or Android Pay at Walgreens and McDonalds. Pretty much the only couple of places in my area that I've seen that have the hardware for it. There's a Subway across from my house, but the last time I ate there, they still weren't taking them.

Wal-Mart in my town has all of the new readers for the Chip & PIN cards, but I haven't seen anyone with one of those cards. Don't get me started on how we're going to an intermediate step of Chip & Signature that's less secure than the PIN method.

The times that I did use Tap & Pay, I found it very convenient. Pull phone out and unlock instead of pull wallet out, slide right card from wallet, swipe card, etc.

I'd use it more often if more locations near me accepted it.

What I like about Android Pay is that it actually issues a "fake" card number, instead of your actual card number. Seems to me that's a bit more secure than transmitting your card's info.

One drawback I found with Wallet and haven't tried yet now that I've got pay is that Wallet didn't allow me to get cash back and actually resulted in a failed transaction. Before I realized what the issue was, I had my card out and carried on. If Pay still doesn't allow cash back, that might limit how often I use it, because I don't often carry cash and would much rather get cash back during a transaction than pay a bank's ATM fee. My bank doesn't charge me anything, but there aren't many ATMs in my network up here.
Many subway locations don't know they have pay but they do. It will say softcard still. Tell them to tap credit card then you will see the NFC, use your phone and you good.

I was using wallet/pay before most locations out the pay signs out.

Many subway locations don't know they have pay but they do. It will say softcard still. Tell them to tap credit card then you will see the NFC, use your phone and you good.

I was using wallet/pay before most locations out the pay signs out.

This particular Subway still has the standalone card scanner unit thing that you used to see back in the day. There's nowhere on that relic to tap your phone to. Trust me. This location doesn't have it.

Now, we've got 2 more Subways in this little town and I can't be sure if they've got more updated technology, since the one by my house is so convenient. I'm also not sure if the same people own all 3, or if there's a division of power here. As well, I have no idea why this tiny town needs 3 Subways along with some (way better) local sub shops and a recently opened Jimmy John's...

This particular Subway still has the standalone card scanner unit thing that you used to see back in the day. There's nowhere on that relic to tap your phone to. Trust me. This location doesn't have it.

Now, we've got 2 more Subways in this little town and I can't be sure if they've got more updated technology, since the one by my house is so convenient. I'm also not sure if the same people own all 3, or if there's a division of power here. As well, I have no idea why this tiny town needs 3 Subways along with some (way better) local sub shops and a recently opened Jimmy John's...
Because everybody wants to open their business and subway and to be one of the easiest franchise to start.

Because everybody wants to open their business and subway and to be one of the easiest franchise to start.

I've heard that. The one by my house is the newest one. Seems to do alright. It's crazy that we can support all of them in a town of around 12k.

I've heard that. The one by my house is the newest one. Seems to do alright. It's crazy that we can support all of them in a town of around 12k.
My hometown of 3k supports 1 subway so 3 for 12K seems about right.

As a runner who doesn't carry anything but his keys and phone, I'd love to have places get on board with this but the businesses here aren't budging. CVS used to but they removed it.

I use Google Wallet to pay friends money, instead of Paypal.

Unfortunately, after checking with my bank, Android pay is not even supported.

Back