What to do once 2.2 is officially released?

guyinlaca

Reaction score
For many of us with rooted phones and/or custom roms, the 2.2 update will not be something we want.

Given that the update is "mandatory" how will we deal with this? Will it try to update phones using 2.2 already or will it bypass them?

I'm running Bugless Beast V0.4, any insight?

Mandatory meaning it will prompt your phone to do the update every 30 minutes until it runs.

On the DroidMod ROM it would allow the update to run, but it ran a spoofed update.zip then the phone would return to normal. I've seen no mention of what the current roms have in place to prevent an official update from running, and unrooting ones' phone.

Experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're rooted and you have flashed an alternate recovery (SPRecovery or ClockworkRecovery) these will prevent the OTA updates from being installed.

Also, since you already have a Froyo ROM installed, I find it highly unlikely that you'd even be prompted by the OTA since your version is already 2.2. But even if you do get prompted, my understanding is that you would just accept the install, and that your alternate recovery would block it.

Experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're rooted and you have flashed an alternate recovery (SPRecovery or ClockworkRecovery) these will prevent the OTA updates from being installed.

Incorrect, Only if the ROM renamed the otacerts.zip file will the OTA be blocked.

in sprecovery you have to "allow" update zip installation. It will try to ruin and fail....thats it

in sprecovery you have to "allow" update zip installation. It will try to ruin and fail....thats it

I'm a bit confused still about this myself. If the update is FRG01B Like we think it is then I see no reason for it to even give me an update message. And if it does, how do I go about ignoring it. I don't want it flashing on my screen every 30 minutes, and I don't want to remove the root.

Here is my plan...

Back up my FRG01B in SPR.

Restore my 2.1 backup and then do the update, most likely using the manual update.zip we'll have by then.

Evaluate.

I can always go back to what I have.

Here is my plan...

Back up my FRG01B in SPR.

Restore my 2.1 backup and then do the update, most likely using the manual update.zip we'll have by then.

Evaluate.

I can always go back to what I have.

I don't like that plan. You lose to much from rooting. Even things like Cache Mate for Root users won't work if you go back to stock. Not to mention overclocking, Root Explorer. The list goes on and on.

No, going back to stock is not an option for me. I just want to know what to do about the messages (If I even get them) about the update.

I'm a bit confused still about this myself. If the update is FRG01B Like we think it is then I see no reason for it to even give me an update message. And if it does, how do I go about ignoring it. I don't want it flashing on my screen every 30 minutes, and I don't want to remove the root.

There looks like there could be a few tiny differences in the final release...such as remote device wipe/lock.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Based on your latest post, hook, that I didn't see before my last post, you can ignore my last post! :)

Guys relax. 99% of froyo roms have built in scripts to prevent an ota update from showing on your phone or even promting you about it.

Don't worry, you won't be asked every 30 min. It just comes down to whether you want to try it or not

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

There looks like there could be a few tiny differences in the final release...such as remote device wipe/lock.

I've already got that via an app. I've got Mobil Defense, that will work for me.

Well, I'll guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it but I'm not giving up all the rooted stuff I have now for a couple of minor tweeks. I'll just stay with what I have.

Based on your latest post, hook, that I didn't see before my last post, you can ignore my last post! :)

I posted too quickly :) You don't get to be the number 1 poster around here by being slow. :D

Guys relax. 99% of froyo roms have built in scripts to prevent an ota update from showing on your phone or even promting you about it.

Don't worry, you won't be asked every 30 min. It just comes down to whether you want to try it or not

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

That's great news!!!

Back