Where can I find what the notification symbols mean?

dmarie2020

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a thread or site that identifies what the notification symbols in the upper left corner mean? The user manual has a limited set and I am recieving others and not sure what they indciate. One is a little green droid, another is a little black droid in a suitcase. Thanks so much!

Can someone point me to a thread or site that identifies what the notification symbols in the upper left corner mean? The user manual has a limited set and I am recieving others and not sure what they indciate. One is a little green droid, another is a little black droid in a suitcase. Thanks so much!
Thanks DtBoos.

The suitcase one refers to updates available for some apps you have. If you pull and drag the notification bar down you should see further explanation. the little green android must be from an app I don't have. I can't recall seeing that one. Perhaps advanced task killer?

Yes, the green one, if it's like the one that I have is advanced task killer. It came already loaded on my droid and I haven't removed it.

dboots & Cookiemonster,

Thanks so much for teaching me something new on my Droid, I didn't realize you can pull down the notification bar! The green droid is the the Advanced Task Killer and the suitcase Droid the app updates. I really appreciate the information!

I've got a symbol showing up on the RIGHT side of the notification bar that is 2 circular arrows and my Droid seems to be moving very sluggish. In computer terms, that symbol is used for REFRESH, but I've rebooted my Droid several times and I still seem to be getting that symbol and it hasn't sped up.
Any ideas?

I'm seeing the same thing BradMajors is seeing. And now my phone has become unresponsive... :(

Does anyone know what is going on?

The Refresh symbol is used (and in this case placed on the right side of the notification bar) to signal that Android is syncing your phone with Google. This includes retrieving Gmails, syncing the calendar and contacts, etc. However, I'm not sure how this relates to your Droids being sluggish.

That is the sync icon. For some reason your phone is trying to sync constantly. I would go to settings : accounts & sync : your gmail account, then see if something is constantly syncing. Probably calender, but there's 3 that may be doing it.

Yes, the green one, if it's like the one that I have is advanced task killer. It came already loaded on my droid and I haven't removed it.
Task killer came loaded on your Droid? did you get a refurb? That shouldn't have been on there.

While we're on the subject of sybols, my wife's contact shows up sometimes with a green dot, other times with a little orange clock, sometimes with both.

Any ideas what those are about? I thought the green dot might relate to messages, but I can't find a corrilation. The clock could be for appointments, but again, I can't make a definate connection.

Viva La Droid!

Those would correspond to her current Google Talk status. Green for available and the orange clock for idle.

Thanks, that makes sense. Would that register if she's just online checking GMail too? I know that she's not actually using GTalk.

Is there a comprehensive list of this sort of stuff somewhere? I seem to find something new everyday paging thru the posts on the Android/Droid forums. I'd rather find the book and learn it all!

Most likely. (About the GTalk thing)

And due to all the apps on the Android Market, unless every developer contributes, there may never be one consolidated guide to them all.

Last edited:
I have a kite looking symbol that isn't on that list. It's like a diamond with a cross in it. Any ideas?

Back