Where do the apps go and can they be transferred? (10.1)

PaulQ

Reaction score
I am still confused about one aspect of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 - it comes with 1GB memory which I assume is for apps (??) and then either 16 or 32GB of memory depending on which you buy.

Is it true that the apps go into that 1GB?
Can you transfer apps to the 16/32 like you can transfer phone apps to an SDcard?

I've picked up that 1GB is a lot for apps but i would still like to know if you can transfer.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, they do. Check out the app 2 SD app. On a side note, how do you like the tablet?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

I don't have it yet. I believe it won't be available for purchase until somewhere around June 16th. Well, with the exception of that special sale in New York and the Google I/O freebies.

I plan to get one though! Just stuck on this 16 vs 32gb choice!

And when I had my xoom they went onto the 16 gb memory and there was no option to transfer them. the 1 gb is ram(random access memory) for you apps to use. And everything else to run off of.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Apps are tied to the Primary Gmail address and when you sign in to the new device they download automatically, free ones can just be downloaded again.

Apps are tied to the Primary Gmail address and when you sign in to the new device they download automatically, free ones can just be downloaded again.
Ok, so if I upgrade my Moto Droid (not rooted) to a new X2, when I activate it and set up my GMail, it will download my free apps? What about paid ones?

Is there a sticky somewhere on what one should to to prepare for upgrading? Thanks! steve

Last edited:
DIngbat.... (your ID on this site, not a slight against you :) )...

When you get a new device and set up your Gmail account, it will offer to download your PAID applications again. YOU will have to go and download the free ones manually. It won't have a record of them.

I suggest you make a list of the free apps you have before you transition. It makes it a lot easier. There is some program that does that but I can't remember what it is? Anyone?

DIngbat.... (your ID on this site, not a slight against you :) )...

When you get a new device and set up your Gmail account, it will offer to download your PAID applications again. YOU will have to go and download the free ones manually. It won't have a record of them.

I suggest you make a list of the free apps you have before you transition. It makes it a lot easier. There is some program that does that but I can't remember what it is? Anyone?

Thanks Paul! Not to worry about the Dingbat handle...I'm a 69 yr ole retired Army officer. We retired to an remote place on the NC Outer Banks where, if you were not born here, you are a "Dingbat". If you act properly (as I try to do), it is a term of endearment.

Now, I am confused: an earlier post says that GMail will (only) do the free accounts and yours says they only do the paid.

This (transferring to a new phone) really seems like a subject that is "sticky" worthy. Steve

I can tell you this... I got a Galaxy Tab (android tablet) last week and was very curious how this all worked. When I set it up, it showed all of my purchased apps ready to download again. None of the free apps I had on my phone appeared. I had to go in and find/download the free apps I wanted on my tablet.

It wasn't anything to do with it being a tablet because it showed ALL of my purchased apps without regard to some being incompatible with a tablet. Therefore, I think it's pretty much standard operating procedure.

Another cool thing I learned... once you purchase an app, you can run it on all of the devices you own. No need to purchase again. I think that's fair and I'm glad that's the way it's designed.

Hope that helps further...

Back