why havent verizon or htc fixed it yet?

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
so can anyone explain why Verizon or HTC or google for that matter hasnt fixed the poor GPS location yet. or was it that they had a device that they werent to concerned about putting out and they just released it to grab market share and make money? or is it that not enough people complained about it yet?
because it seems that verizon is billing the droid charge as their first 4g lte device when we all know that the htc droid thunderbolt was verizons first 4g lte device. it just seems odd to me that all these android based phones being pumped out one after another that they are getting deminished in quality and the droid thunderbolt was the first one of the bunchthat was dropped on comsumers with known issues. i undestand i didnt have to purchase the thunderbolt but i thought it was gonna be a lot better than than my og moto droid but honestly my og droid could tell me my location within a few feet and give me proper directions when i needed them.....

sorry to just rant and go off but i feel we were all taken with the corporate hype about the thunderbolt. because all i wanted was for it to work the way they said it would work.

in other words stop putting out updates that dont fix the fn problem with the device!

my two cents

bob

Not everyone is having gps issues, Mine locks almost instantly...And nothing happens overnight with VZW

IMO, I think VZW is taking their time because they want users to purchase VZ Navigator....

Actually the droid charge is there first "droid" 4g device. The thunderbolt don't have the droid label.

sent from droidforums app

Mine is fixed now since the update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

My gps and navigation work flawlessly now. I use it every day.

I didn't know there was a droid thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

recent update fixed GPS, but brought along random reboots in the process. VZW knows about it and pulled the update off the site and off the air.

You will have to wait for the next OTA update after HTC fixes the reboot issue. my GPS locks on pretty quickly. Faster than my OG droid ever did. Too bad its rebooted on me 2 times today.

The recent update was pushed not even 5-6 days ago. Give at least a little time. To my knowledge, HTC is in Taiwan...so from a business standpoint....it hasnt been that long. Im pretty sure it goes something like this.

OTA push (few days)....customer complaints of reboots, etc come pouring in...VZW corporate calls meetings....vzw corporate contacts HTC corporate (14 hour time zone difference), HTC corp calls meetings....priority level for this update set (depends on how much money vzw is paying htc).....htc devs develop a fix....test the fix...give fix to vzw....vzw tests fix....ota push is created.....ota starts pushing out.

All of this isnt going to happen in a work week.

meanwhile, customers complain, vzw/htc reputation takes a whack....everyone suffers.

Honestly all of this couldve been avoided using simple methodology....extensive R&D testing on htc/vzw part. Instead they release a phone likely fully aware of bugs, and make their customers deal with the anticipation of updates. This is what I call a company with poor quality assurance department...and a sales department with too much authority.

Its starting to get more and more difficult to justify my purchase. In fact, being the consumer i usually am, I wouldve returned the phone in my 14 day period, get my og droid back, wait for my plan to expire....and leave vzw altogether taking my business to a provider that doesnt do this. Instead...I will wait till day 13 of my 14 day period....THEN...ill return the phone if fixes have not surfaced.

Last edited:
I haven't seen much improvement indoors with my GPS. Yes I'm aware that I'm suppose to have open skies. However, my Droid can lock on to my signal anywhere inside my house as long as I'm not completely surrounded on all sides by a wall in close proximity, like the closet, bathroom, etc. It's always worked pretty well outdoors, but even then it still wasn't nearly as fast as my Droid for locking on to my signal. Nevertheless I'm not complaining about it because it offers so many other great features.

We get it, George Lucas doesn't get any $$ on the TB.
What is the deal with the random reboots. Are you guys seeing this a lot?

recent update fixed GPS, but brought along random reboots in the process. VZW knows about it and pulled the update off the site and off the air.

You will have to wait for the next OTA update after HTC fixes the reboot issue. my GPS locks on pretty quickly. Faster than my OG droid ever did. Too bad its rebooted on me 2 times today.

I cant even get a good judge of how long my battery is really lasting because it resets my battery use timer on reboot.

vzw is starting to get on my nerves. They have reliable service for me, but they need to work these bugs out....or at least offer people purchasing the TB and new 4g lte phones an "upgrade anytime" offer. That way if they still dont iron out their issues with 4g...im not locked into 2 years of crap (or early ternimation fees). I have a feeling they will come through though...but I also purchased the TB with the assumption I was going to be getting a great/reliable phone stock...but it seems to be more beta than anything.

I think there are several devices that are getting pushed to market too early and then taking on the attitude of "sell now, update later". Pretty crappy IMO. I want a phone that WOWS me...not a phone that reboots, has recently used apps in the notifcation bar (this is absolutely stupid, and should be replaced by power widgets), and unbearable battery life (I mean...not being able to make it through a normal day). IMO, they should have included a 1600 ma battery, power widgets in the notification bar (or nothing would even look better than recently used apps...I can do that by long pressing the home key).

Despite my gripes...there is a following and plenty of developers working their skills on the TB. Your option is Ride it out...or return to VZW with your phone in hand, reciept...and complain.

IMO, you will regret it if in a month or two GB hits the TB, more customized roms are available, netflix becomes available for the TB, and you look back saying you wish you had kept it since the only other 4g phone only has 512 mb of ram and limited internal storage, and quadrant scores of 900 (which my og d1 mustered with overclocking)

The only things the charge has going for it are its display, hdmi, and touchwiz (if you prefer that, I personally like Sense better). Besides after about 3 months it will likely look like you dragged it through a sandy beach with the materials its made out of.

Touchwiz is laughable, I wouldn't even mention that as a benefit, but I understand that you are just pointing out the things that it has that the Thunderbolt doesn't.

We get it, George Lucas doesn't get any $$ on the TB.
What is the deal with the random reboots. Are you guys seeing this a lot?

I think I may have seen one since the update, which I did on the latest release date, but I was too far from my phone to know what was going on other than seing the HTC green logo on a white background.

Install GPS Status from the market, then: Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

Enjoy GPS.

Back