why is maps always using battery?

bkcorwin

Reaction score
Can someone explain if this is normal, and if so how the battery management works on this phone?

I've noticed this for a few days no. Don't remember it happening when I initially got the phone. According to my battery usage, I just took the phone off the charger 18m 2s ago. In that time, I have not used google maps, yet my battery usage indicates that maps has represented 39% of my battery consumption. Why is maps using my battery when i have not used maps?

Additionally, when i click maps, it reports that the use details are CPU total 0s.

Can someone explain what is going on to me?

Thanks
B

It appears that if you run the MAPS app, even if you exit out it will be running in the background - you need to end the app in the task mgr. It then appears that even if you end the app in the task mgr, the battery app will still show the percentage of battery power that the app used when it was running.

I uninstalled updates and am back to maps 5.5 and I no longer have maps always taking battery life according to my battery manager. After 3.5 hours of being on my phone does not list maps whereas before it would immediately list maps as taking some 40% of the battery.

Latitude?

I'm not sure if Latitude runs in its own process but if you have that configured then it could conceivably be keeping maps running.

Also, Apps only drop off when memory is needed. As for a battery manager, I don't think there is all that much management--only what you see in the settings. One thing you could try is to use the Task Manager app that was pre-installed to cause it to auto end.

Funny you mention this, maps is always running for me whenever i check task manager, but doesn't show any battery use percentage. I'm at 16h, off the hook, and my battery is at 56%, but it shows 50% of my battery was used up by the OKcupid app, even though this app hasn't been used all day, is not running in the background, and is not on any autokill list or anything.

Back