Why it makes sense for Xoom to be $800

patfactorx

Reaction score
Most tablet owners are upper-middle class. I think WSJ said that over 40% of Ipad owners make over $100k a year. Motorola is going to make a lot of money from its primary customer, Verizon. There's very little reason for tablet makers to make low end tablets because the tablet is still a toy for enthusiasts.

Smartphones are more portable
Laptops can get more work done on the go
Desktops are WAAAAYYY faster and cheaper

Motorola and the other manufacturers are trying to sell more high end tablets because that's where the money is at. Apple is only lowballing cuz they make money on tablet apps.

It makes sense because the people have the money? Look at it from the shopper's perspective. What additional benefits will the Xoom offer? You might go out and shop for the most expensive stuff you can afford but the majority of consumers tend to shop for lower prices.

I don't see how smartphones, laptops or desktops are even relevant. They're all products designed for different purposes.

No it doesn't make sense when you can buy a 17inch acer laptop at walmart for 398.

What I don't understand is if tablets are taking over the netbook market....then why are they twice the cost? Further, android tablets don't even have to pay licensing fees..so I'm totally lost.

This one is easy, think I learned it in the 6th grade- "Supply and Demand"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

No it doesn't make sense when you can buy a 17inch acer laptop at walmart for 398.

What I don't understand is if tablets are taking over the netbook market....then why are they twice the cost? Further, android tablets don't even have to pay licensing fees..so I'm totally lost.

Exactly, I can go buy an expensive netbook with a 4g connection and get 5x the functionality... Tablets have so far been a huge disappointment to me. I will not buy one.

This one is easy, think I learned it in the 6th grade- "Supply and Demand"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

It's exactly that... People want the tabs because all of the "upper-middle" class people have one, and Apple is making their money on them too.. and will continue to after the news report I heard yesterday about them buying up a lot of the resources so other manufacturers can't make their tablets at low prices.

Tablets have so far been a huge disappointment to me. I will not buy one.

agreed!

The fact that I still would need a computer to convert videos and music that's not in the proper format kills me. You can't plug an external disk or hard drive to it, so if it doesn't replace a computer or smartphone then what the hell does it do besides look cool?

Sent from my D1!

...You can't plug an external disk or hard drive to it...

I'm sure you might be able to, at least eventually, because my externals came with mini-USB cords. It'd just take someone to write a script to be able to read it. The files on it however, if they're like illustrator files or something, then yea no, that won't be happening any time soon, sadly.

Last edited:
"it's expensive, it's less functional, IT'S COOL AND I STILL WANT ONE!" is actually a model Apple perfected, other companies want their share now...

"it's expensive, it's less functional, IT'S COOL AND I STILL WANT ONE!" is actually a model Apple perfected, other companies want their share now...

Every sense in my body tells me that a tab @ $600-$800 is not a logical buy but like you, I STILL WANT ONE TOO......

Sent from my D1!

How do you figure??

An iPad starts @ $499 and goes to $800. A basic Macbook starts at $1000 and goes up. So the ipad is alot cheaper and in line price wise with their other products.

Yeah, Apple is more expensive for sure....but you know what, Ive owned a Macbook Pro for over 3 years now and it still runs LIKE NEW, never an issue. Ive never had a Winbox last like that, ever.

It's typically understood that Mac hardware is top of the line, so that's why it's expensive (plus the fact that they're "cool", and pretty, etc.), compared to PCs (for instance, PC laptops are typically made of plastic).

I'm evaluating different tablets to purchase soon. Right now I'm not really favoring one over the other. I use Android on my cell phone, but I also have an iPod Touch, and like that quite a bit. Has anyone jailbroken an iPad as of yet?

Yeah, depends on what your looking for.....I had a jailbroken ipad, bout the same as a jailbroken iphone or ipod touch.

Back