Why root your phone?

DLopezR

Reaction score
I've been having my Droid X for about 3 months now and I see people in the forums talking about rooting their phones. What is that?

Sent from my DROIDX

I've been having my Droid X for about 3 months now and I see people in the forums talking about rooting their phones. What is that?

Sent from my DROIDX

It is gaining (Superuser) rights on your phone thus, enabling you to customize every aspect of your phone. From custom versions of the android OS to themeing to fonts to making the processer faster, slower. If you like to customize things i would say do it ,if you could care less forget about it! 1 thing i will warn you of though is it is highly addictive and in some cases takes over your life!!

Sent from my DROIDX

It is gaining (Superuser) rights on your phone thus, enabling you to customize every aspect of your phone. From custom versions of the android OS to themeing to fonts to making the processer faster, slower. If you like to customize things i would say do it ,if you could care less forget about it! 1 thing i will warn you of though is it is highly addictive and in some cases takes over your life!!

See this is why it's important that you post in the right areas. This well meaning person has a Droid 1. The X is not as customizable as the original Droid due to the locked down bootloader.

Now I root because I like to run my phone over and under clocked. I also like having control over the bloatware that's put on the phone by Verizon. There are many apps you can't get unless you are rooted, such as Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Screenshot two, and one of my favorite Quick App Cleaner.

You don't have to become addicted, heck I don't even use a custom ROM, they all seem to have issues and oddly enough with my stock OS rooted, I have no issues. Also to install a custom ROM you need the bootstraps and on my side, the D2, I believe there is an issue with either them or clockwork.

I'm sure there are some nice themes you can install whether you are rooted or not. But you don't have to root. Most people who own a Droid X have no idea about rooting and think their phone is the next best thing to sliced bread. Heck my wife has a stock D1 and loves it.

Don't feel pressured, if you do decide you want to try it then do some more reading so if you do get in a jam you don't panic too much. Your decision.

Sent from my DROIDX

See this is why it's important that you post in the right areas. This well meaning person has a Droid 1. The X is not as customizable as the original Droid due to the locked down bootloader.

Now I root because I like to run my phone over and under clocked. I also like having control over the bloatware that's put on the phone by Verizon. There are many apps you can't get unless you are rooted, such as Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, Screenshot two, and one of my favorite Quick App Cleaner.

You don't have to become addicted, heck I don't even use a custom ROM, they all seem to have issues and oddly enough with my stock OS rooted, I have no issues. Also to install a custom ROM you need the bootstraps and on my side, the D2, I believe there is an issue with either them or clockwork.

I'm sure there are some nice themes you can install whether you are rooted or not. But you don't have to root. Most people who own a Droid X have no idea about rooting and think their phone is the next best thing to sliced bread. Heck my wife has a stock D1 and loves it.

Don't feel pressured, if you do decide you want to try it then do some more reading so if you do get in a jam you don't panic too much. Your decision.

Sorry Bill, your right the X is not the D1 as far as customabilty but i was just trying to do a quick explaination of root and what it is. I never applied any pressure he can do as he pleases with his phone. he should probley take a look at this thread before making any decisions

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/74980-droid-x-hacking-guide-s.html

you don't have to if its working fine, but if you want extra speed and customizationthen you would want to root.

Sent from my DROIDX

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

you don't have to if its working fine, but if you want extra speed and customizationthen you would want to root.

Sent from my DROIDX

I've had my Droid 1 since November of 2009. It's been rooted for well over a year. I can run it overclocked up to 1.25Ghz (550mhz is stock). I normally run it at 800mhz. I really don't see/feel much difference between 800 and 1250.

Now, if I had an X, I really do not believe I would root it. The gains that can be realized with overclocking are much less (percentage wise) and as I said, I really don't feel the difference. Also, I don't really think there's anything you can do to totally brick a Droid 1 (and trust me I've tried!!:)). But the X can be bricked. It is my understanding that it can be shockingly easy to brick one while trying to do an sbf by simply using the wrong file.

Seems to me to be little or no reward for the risk and this is coming from a "serial flasher" of roms.

I rooted my x because of tethering, other than that I wouldn't change a thing. On the subject of bricking your phone, I had mine stop working a few times but manage to get it back. Good luck

I rooted my DX for a couple reasons. First for the theming (hate the white notification bar). Next because I wanted some of the great build prop mods as well as the ability to dethrottle the data connection. Lastly, the wifi tether...

Sent from my "stock" DROIDX...

I rooted my x because of tethering, other than that I wouldn't change a thing. On the subject of bricking your phone, I had mine stop working a few times but manage to get it back. Good luck

you dont even need to root your X for tethering anymore.

What program allows you to tether via wifi without rooting. I looked a lot and didn't find one. I know that you can tether via cable/bluetooth, but not wifi.

To tether wireless for free, you do.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Back