WTF? Battery died and now I can't boot (not even into recovery?!) - help!

velocity92c

Reaction score
So I was playing on my phone about 20 minutes ago and the battery died. It died kind of suddenly, as a few minutes earlier it said it had 15% left. Out of curiousity I tried to turn it back on, and it actually came on. Normally when my battery dies my phone is done until it's plugged in but this time it came on for about 40 seconds, except that the battery indicator had a red 'x' through it instead of what it normally looks like. The phone died again before it finished preparing the SD card and now since then my phone just reboots constantly at the M logo, sometimes it will make it to the Sapphire logo (my ROM) but it always reboots. It's also NOT letting me boot into recovery!!! Beyond that, I have not made a Nandroid backup in over a week, and I really can't lose this data. Why in the hell would my battery dying cause this to happen? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
put it on the charger for an hour AND DONT TOUCH IT.

nothing should be tried in recovery with a low battery.

What the HELL is going on with my phone? I just did a nandroid backup until I could figure out what was wrong, and was going to go to a backup I made a week ago. So I did the backup and went to restore and the backup WASN'T THERE. The one that I JUST made was missing, even though there were no errors (I checked the log, it said Backup Complete!). So I pretty much just screwed myself out of all my data. What the hell happened? I am in a world of trouble for the data that I just lost that wasn't saved on my SD card, but in an app I had downloaded. I don't have enough room on my SD card to do a damn nandroid backup every day of the week. I don't even know what I did wrong to cause this to prevent it from happening in the future. All I know is that this is truly messed up.

i had the same problem with Sapphire. I charged my phone in the dock over night and it would not get past the M logo. I also tried a car charge for over an hour.

I ended up buying the charge for the battery only from verizon. after charging it would not boot, but I was able to get to recovery and went back to Bugless Beast V0.4. I had nothing but problems with sapphire.

Now I'm running Chevyno1 and I love it.

Good luck.

Other option is to try another battery that has a charge on it.

What the HELL is going on with my phone? I just did a nandroid backup until I could figure out what was wrong, and was going to go to a backup I made a week ago. So I did the backup and went to restore and the backup WASN'T THERE. The one that I JUST made was missing, even though there were no errors (I checked the log, it said Backup Complete!). So I pretty much just screwed myself out of all my data. What the hell happened? I am in a world of trouble for the data that I just lost that wasn't saved on my SD card, but in an app I had downloaded. I don't have enough room on my SD card to do a damn nandroid backup every day of the week. I don't even know what I did wrong to cause this to prevent it from happening in the future. All I know is that this is truly messed up.

did you do what i suggested? and you CAN move your backups to your pc or delete them as you go along.

Yeah I left it on the charger. I just restored to an older backup and my phone booted up to the main screen but about 30 seconds after I unlocked the screen it rebooted AGAIN and is stuck in a boot loop AGAIN. What the hell is wrong with my phone? I don't understand what could have possibly happened to break my phone. The only thing that happened was my battery died.

Now it is booting up to the unlock screen every time and immediately rebooting itself. This is very frustrating. Can someone tell me what to try?

WIPE and install the backup. actually, wipe a few times.

I just wiped my phone completely and it's not booting past the M now. Is my phone done for? This is a brand new replacement from Asurion. Ugh.

I did wipe before installing the backup. I wiped 3 times, as always. I just wiped it 3 times and rebooted to see if it would even load the stock OS and it's still in a bootloop. I guess I am screwed.

I've come to the conclusion that my phone is fried. I don't know how or why it fried but it is. I just wiped 5 times, installed Sapphire stock through clockwork, it booted up to the home screen and about 30 seconds later it reboots. On a fresh, brand new install. I don't know what the problem is, but there is definitely a problem. My battery light keeps coming on too, before the phone is even booted up, and even though my phone has been on the charger for over an hour it's acting like it can't hold a charge.

Now I think I see what's going on, the battery isn't charging for some reason. You can boot into recovery and such without a battery on as long as the phone is plugged in, but the OS HAS to have a charged battery to boot. Why the heck isn't my battery charging, and what can I do about this?

try loading another rom, Bugless Beast V0.4 always worked for me. or you can try SS4.7. Im currently using this one and like it.

I always had reboot issues with sapphire, i tried all sorts of kernels as well. It just would not run right on my phone. Maybe you are having the same problem.

Good luck, but for me Sapphire was a great rom, but not worth the headaches.

i have had no issues with SS4.7 or BBv0. 4, running chevyno1 250-1000ULV kernels on both.

Good luck.

Rescue squad knows there STUFF. listen to there advise... but i assume some roms just dont work on some phones.

I got it working, I guess.. but I still lost my data. I can't figure out why the nandroid backup didn't work.

ANYWAY, my phone was rebooting because the battery didn't have enough juice to power it on for some reason, even though it was plugged in for over 2 hours. What I finally did was, as SOON as the home screen came on I locked the phone, which turned the screen off. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and unlocked it and it had finally charged to 10%. It's been on ever since. I've never run into this problem before but that seems to have fixed it for now. Now if only I could figure out why the nandroid backup didn't work :(

YAY, I figured it out. The nandroid backup for some reason didn't save with the correct date. It saved with a date from 1970. I had 4 of those in my nandroid backup folder but I picked the correct one on the first try. Got very lucky but I have my phone back!

Back