2.3.3 Gingerbread OTA update zip file download

Ok so when I download the file, it is called "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP"

Which of these steps do I use?,
1. Rename the downloaded file from "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" to "update.zip"?
2. Extract the downloaded file, "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" and get a folder called 2.3.3 and inside there's a update.zip file?
3. Extract the update.zip file from the 2.3.3 folder(from step above) and get another update.zip?

Copy the update.zip file out of the folder from number 2 and paste it in the root of your sd card.

There's nothing too complicated about the process - download the file in the thread, unzip it, open the unzipped folder, copy "update.zip" to your sd card. Then boot into recovery. There's nothing to rename and only one time you should extract anything from a zip file.

Last edited:

1. Rename the downloaded file from "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" to "update.zip"?
2. Extract the downloaded file, "Droid Pro 2.3.3 update.ZIP" and get a folder called 2.3.3 and inside there's a update.zip file?
3. Extract the update.zip file from the 2.3.3 folder(from step above) and get another update.zip?

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Let it work its magic, and reboot when it prompts you too at the end ;)

Hope that helps!

1. Open the file.
2. You will see a folder "2.3.3 ... " or something similar
3. Open that folder and you will find a file update.zip
4. This is the file you need!!
5. Extract the folder "2.3.3.." somewhere where you remember
6. Once you have done so, go into the folder and copy the "update.zip" file
7. Paste it on your SD card in the root directory (main folder of the card)
8. Power down phone
9. Turn on phone by pressing Power + R + M at the same time, let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Motorola logo
10. You will see the "!" logo, press @ to enter the Recovery mode
11. There, navigate with the volume keys to apply update
12. Let it work its magic, and reboot when it prompts you too at the end ;)

Hope that helps!

thank you so much for laying it out like this step by step!

I really can't wait for the GB love but im about to catch a flight and don't want to jack my phone up before leaving, although it is tempting. :)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

I did it...updated to gb. Yay

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

I'm running GB with this zip file but did not retain root it seems. I've tried running aRoot again to regain root but to no avail. I'm also seeing some strange Market behavior, updating a single app leads to creating multiple download threads in the notification bar.

Yes, I can confirm that. Just tried aRoot and while it says in the cmd window that it worked fine, it really didnt.

okay thanks for the confirm. Was this zip created from TBH's release? I've downloaded those files as well but it seems that stock recovery will not allow me to use those zip files. I haven't been able to install CWR on my phone for some reason and as such didn't get to use TBH's files. Its times like this that i wish my Droid Pro was as easy to work with as my Nook Color...

okay thanks for the confirm. Was this zip created from TBH's release? I've downloaded those files as well but it seems that stock recovery will not allow me to use those zip files. I haven't been able to install CWR on my phone for some reason and as such didn't get to use TBH's files. Its times like this that i wish my Droid Pro was as easy to work with as my Nook Color...

You have to be rooted with the Droid 2 Bootstrapper and Clockwork in order to install the rooted Team Black Hat files. If you've already installed the zip from this thread, which as the title of the thread indicates is the OTA update (and not taken from Team Black Hat), you won't be able to install the rooted version at this point.

There are other rooting methods such as Gingerbreak and SuperOneClick. I haven't received the update (and haven't been in a place to install the pulled version), so I haven't been able to try out any of them. I don't know that they'll work though. I've heard there's a new version of Gingerbreak on the way for 2.3.3.

You have to be rooted with the Droid 2 Bootstrapper and Clockwork in order to install the rooted Team Black Hat files.....

I was rooted previously using the method above. This update file did not retain root.

There are other rooting methods such as Gingerbreak and SuperOneClick. I haven't received the update (and haven't been in a place to install the pulled version), so I haven't been able to try out any of them. I don't know that they'll work though. I've heard there's a new version of Gingerbreak on the way for 2.3.3.

I'll keep an eyeout for the new GingerBreak. SuperOneClick has been hit or miss for me in the past.

I was rooted previously using the method above. This update file did not retain root.

Yeah, I read that. Virtually no updates retain root. I was just saying that there's no way at present to install the Team Black Hat files if the OTA update has already been installed since there's no root. As you said, they don't work with the stock recovery.

Gave it a shot with 1.20 and looks like it doesn't work, for me at least. Device has been sitting with the "Rooting..." dialog window for a couple minutes now...

Back