After root safe bloatware backup!

lilhill

Reaction score
Also, how do I set the permissions for the apps which I reinstalled?

lilhill

Reaction score
Would an app permissions need to be changed if it were a system app but then was reinstalled after being uninstalled?

Can someone verify the permissions for these apps:
Blockbuster
Booksphone
CityID
com.mobitv.client.nfl2010
Kindle
NewBayVault
slackerradio
VCAST_Tones
VCASTMusic
VCASTVideo
vzw_vnav_DROIDBIONIC_rel_PROD_signed
VzwDeviceSetup

Thanks!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Lil,

Not sure if you still need this, but everything in /system/app appears to be 644 for permissions. Read, checks under owner group and others. Write, check under owner. Execute no check marks. I gave it both ways, depending upon whether your explorer application uses numbers or check marks.

Craig

lilhill

Reaction score
I believe I still need it. Before I made changes, those apps were under applications, but not under the downloaded section, thus uninstallable. Now they're in the downloaded section.

I think they are this was because the permission are wrong.

Do you have any idea about the VzwSetup app and why I cannot uninstall it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Lil,

I am a little confused. The apps that you deleted should be in /system/app. The only download folder I see is in /data/app. The data partition (subdirectory) is where the applications that you download from the market should install. The applications in /system/app would be the ones that came installed on the phone, in this location. If the programs that you reinstalled are in /data/app, then they are not in the original location.

As to your adb "install", I think that it would attempt to install in data. Just a guess here. If I were trying this with adb, I would try and push to system and change permissions from adb, if that is possible. This should be similar to using Root Explorer to move it over, and change permissions. It is just that using Root Explorer on a program integrated into the running OS can be risky or not possible in some cases.

BUT, that file/application has an ominous soundiing name, I would perhaps check in the D3 hack subforum to see if messing with this file would be problematic. If you are trying to uninstall this application from the application menus, it will not uninstall becasue it is part of the Bloat. But I use bloat loosly, as I do not know if this file is more integrated into the OS (soft brick?).

It looks like a custom recovery may be getting pretty close. If this does happen, perhaps some generous soul will create a "stock" backup of the phone (less personal accounts etc.) and make this available for folks who are trying to recreate the stock system. I only mention this, if you are doing anything that you feel uncomfortable about. Having a custom recovery is one step closer to the dev's being able to snag any OTA, root it, and let it out for an install, bypassing a lot of this concern about phones not getting any OTA.

As I mentioned earlier, it might be best to sit tight for a few days, especially if your phone is running correctly. We will have plenty of notice before any OTA is released.

Craig

lilhill

Reaction score
To alleviate your confusion, I'm not talking about the /system/app or data/app in this case. The apks are DEFINITELY in the /system/app folder.

I'm referring to viewing the apps in home > settings > applications > manage applications...
Before removing the bloatware, only the apps which I downloaded from the market were in the first tab of that screen which is the "downloaded" tab. Those apps were in the next tab, "all" which includes preinstalled bloatware apps and downloaded apps.

Now, after reinstalling those apps (which are in the /system/app folder), they show up in the "downloaded" tab. This means the phone is still seeing them differently than it was originally. I think this is because of the permissions still being different than they were when I started. I won't have time to mess with that til tmrw morning, unfortunately.

As my phone is working just fine, I'm fine with hanging out til someone releases a stock backup or an SBF is released. I just like knowing how to fix stuff if I have to!

As for the app with the odex file associated, I believe it still needs to be installed in /system/app where it came from. You think it should go in the /data/app folder?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Lil,

Roger all of that. No, that vzw setup application and odex file are in /system on my phone, so I would absolutely suggest that it would need to be in system. As to the other things and being in data, I would think that any application that you put on the phone, be it from the market or going through any actual install process is going to wind up in data. This would be true for any third party aps as well, although I could see perhaps some being hardcoded to install to system. But these would not be anything we are discussing here. This situation is exactly the same as the D1 with custom roms, where some apps were left out of roms, and you were directed that if you wnated them, go to the market and install. These would then end up in /data. My concern here would be for any native apps that need to be in system to function correctly.

The sbfish file is now available. Check in the hacks subforum. It appears to have a little confusion surrounding it, as it it is not technically an sbf file, but appears to be the way VZW is going with these system repair files. Still needs RSD Lite, though. I downloaded all the stuff, just in case. Right now I am torn about whether I want to go down the custom path. No question with my D1, but the bionic is so solid right now, it is not pressing me enough to get excited. Right now I am content with root, but I am sure i will have to tip my hand one way or another, once the first OTA is released. Depending upon whether or not the existing root exploit is patched.

Craig

lilhill

Reaction score
Everything you've said makes sense to me!

I'm not so worried about it now as the SBFish file is out. Maybe I should flash that with RSD and reroot before turret first OTA. I want to see how that goes got other people before I try it tho...

DROID BIONIC

Retired OG DROID CM7 Supercharged 1GHZ

Reaction score
You must have rootexplorer for this to work.First root with one click root then open rootexplorer then go to system/app in there is all the system apk files
that came with your phone hit menu then select all. Copy and paste to a new folder on your sdcard done. You must do this so if an over the air update comes out and you deleted any of those apk files the update will not work.as for deleting bloat not sure what that does to the Bionic good or bad wont find out tell Thursday morning so delete at your own risk. :blackdroid:

Ever since I had my Droid X in July 2010 when I came over from Windows Mobile, and then the X2 and now Bionic, I have done this. What you are doing is making your own system dump. It's not a "backup" per se.

You can also do the same basic thing with your apps you download. But they can't be on your SD card, so move them back to your device first (when moved to the SD card, the apps disappear anyways until they fix it). I haven't figured out yet where the apk is stored when it is moved to the SD card. But go to /data/app. And you will find them there. Some apps are in /data/app-private. Like USAA Mobile, MLB At-Bat, and Firehouse Scheduler.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

Last edited: