Any way to support emoji outside of third party apps?

kookk

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I use emoji constantly. She has an iPhone I obviously have a gnexus.

Is there anyway I can use emoji with the stock messaging app? All the third party messaging apps feel so clunky. I'm using go SMS and I hate it.

For some reason I think I remember cm9 being able to receive emoji but not send. Are there any ROMs out there perhaps with emoji support for the native text app and keyboard?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I use emoji constantly. She has an iPhone I obviously have a gnexus.

Is there anyway I can use emoji with the stock messaging app? All the third party messaging apps feel so clunky. I'm using go SMS and I hate it.

For some reason I think I remember cm9 being able to receive emoji but not send. Are there any ROMs out there perhaps with emoji support for the native text app and keyboard?

I don't use emoji's in my texting life, but a quick search netted Gerrit Code Review <-- that is merged, and looks to have send support. That is CM10 btw.

AOKP has the same patch Gerrit Code Review <-- there which is also merged (same patch).

Since custom ROMs tend to use CM and/or AOKP for pieces of their ROM, quite a few ROMs should have emoji support. Something else to consider is that you may be able to pull the Mms.apk from a ROM with emoji support and push it in another. This doesn't work all the time, but sometimes it does.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
I just got the latest CM10 nightly and discovered it already supports emoji read and write and can be enabled in the stock SMS options.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it

edit: Actually I ran into a roadblock. I got the set of emoji's I wanted but I cant seem to get rid of the android ones. Is there a way to disable them?
View attachment 56080

Last edited: