Anyone had hands on time with the lg spectrum?

x25064

Reaction score
Lg seemed kind of laughable to me so far in the android market til they released the nitro, and now the spectrum. The spectrum looks like one hell of a phone. I watched a video sample from it that I had found on Google.. I have to say in the video department I really don't think there is a phone that can match its quality. Even our nexuses look grainy in comparison.

Anyway not making this a compare thread, just wondering how it performs day to day if anyone has one or knows someone who does.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Lg just say NO!

LG has some of the best screens on a phone.

with that in mind do not buy an lg phone.

trust me you would regret it.

GreenAcid

Reaction score
Pre smart phones, all I would get is LG. They are hands down the worst phones ever. If you notice, every lg Droid phone that's came out has bombed completely after release.

I was kind of excited when I saw them jump into the game but when my friend brought home the first one that Verizon launched, I saw all the same factors as before. Cheapily made. Crappy battery life.

They do have some OK screens but nothing I would pick over the GNex or other flagship device. Just stay clear. Trust me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
I'm not looking to buy one, I was just wondering how this one is. They haven't made an actual flagship device like this phone yet, so it'll be interesting to see if its the same old variation or something actually worth its weight.

Also yeah before droids everything I had was LG. I remember before the envy line they had some of the most durable phones out there. I had the "V" for 5 years before the screen stopped working.

turdbogls

Reaction score
LG does have some of the better screens out there, but the build quality is not that great.
i played with one for a bit in the store, and was not impressed.
the screen was nice, but didn't look as nice (IMO) as the nexus/rezound
the materials used were hard shiny plastic and felt cheap
the software overlay is child-ish looking, very ugly colors and icons. it was snappy enough, but the overlay ruined GB for sure.
camera also looked pretty good, but hard to tell in a store.

overall, i think LG's skin ruined a pretty good phone. with stock ICS on it, it would be pretty amazing i think, but LG will most likely ruin it with their skin

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I'm not looking to buy one, I was just wondering how this one is. They haven't made an actual flagship device like this phone yet, so it'll be interesting to see if its the same old variation or something actually worth its weight.

Also yeah before droids everything I had was LG. I remember before the envy line they had some of the most durable phones out there. I had the "V" for 5 years before the screen stopped working.

actaully they did make a flagship phone the o2x and g2x(o2x first dual core (tegra). g2x was for tmobile and even though the phone was said to be straight android it isnt. and was so bad tmobile pulled it from sales for over 2 months. the g2x is a pure android (theme) all of their crappy overlay is in the framework and the phone still suffers from reboots and over heating. its just they already ruined their relationship with tmobile so now they are gonna try it with verizon. it does appear verizon is a little better at forcing manufacturers to get updates for major issues. But we know about how they are releasing new os's and lg is slower than verizon.

it is funny when i bought the g2x i couldnt believe all the problems (since i never had any major problems) with a phone before
now with the nexus i keep excpecting problems that dont come :)

Reaction score
Yep. The UI sux and it lagged more than any phone ive ever seen. The camera was the only thing that impressed me.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Haven't seen it yet, or even heard of it to be honest. I don't pay much attention to that company as I've purchased products from them in the past and let's just say I don't have them anymore. They don't make very good products imo and I will never purchase another item from them again

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I held one for a bit, the plastic on the back is very slick/shiny so it feels/looks cheap. The screen is very nice, but LG's always made nice screens so that's nothing new. Their UI is still blaeh and that's about it.

LG should be able to make a great phone, they've made some of the best PC monitor's I've ever used. Their IPS panel's are incredible and it boggles my mind that their smart phone department can't come up with something impressive.

flip_it_cricket

Reaction score
hm well i must say i definitely disagree with most of the comments left in this thread, and quite honestly i am disappointed. ok, shall we address the complaints about the phone one by one?
the ui is childish??? yeah, i didn't like it either when i first purchased it so i installed a launcher and a new theme. who doesn't do that anyway? is anyone really left with a stock ui on this forum??? REALLY!?
the back is cheap? that's weird, it sure feels solid as could be with my extended battery pack back, which verizon had a special on for 50% off ($25!) and my shell definitely helps it look better. ill take my 8mp hd camera and 1.5 ghz over the nexus anyday. oh yeah, but all of this is just IMO.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
hm well i must say i definitely disagree with most of the comments left in this thread, and quite honestly i am disappointed. ok, shall we address the complaints about the phone one by one?
the ui is childish??? yeah, i didn't like it either when i first purchased it so i installed a launcher and a new theme. who doesn't do that anyway? is anyone really left with a stock ui on this forum??? REALLY!?
the back is cheap? that's weird, it sure feels solid as could be with my extended battery pack back, which verizon had a special on for 50% off ($25!) and my shell definitely helps it look better. ill take my 8mp hd camera and 1.5 ghz over the nexus anyday. oh yeah, but all of this is just IMO.

Not really sure what this post is regarding. that 1.5 processor isnt any better than the nexus 1.2 in fact its more outdated.(while still a decent procesor)
5 mp camera takes just as good of pics as an 8 unless you are zooming them in into oblivion. is the camera better i dont know it may be.,

now if you want to mention the screen is probably awesome that would make sense.
Lg makes great screens. or it has a sdcard those are actual advantages over the nexus.

manufactures overlays use resources when you change the launcher you are not taking away those used resources you are adding more overtop to hide that stuff.
I hope for you that lg has made a better quality phone than the g2x. the ox3(or whatever it will be called) has some awesome specs. you couldnt give me an lg phone i dont care what the specs are.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Not really sure what this post is regarding. that 1.5 processor isnt any better than the nexus 1.2 in fact its more outdated.(while still a decent procesor)
5 mp camera takes just as good of pics as an 8 unless you are zooming them in into oblivion. is the camera better i dont know it may be.,

now if you want to mention the screen is probably awesome that would make sense.
Lg makes great screens. or it has a sdcard those are actual advantages over the nexus.

manufactures overlays use resources when you change the launcher you are not taking away those used resources you are adding more overtop to hide that stuff.
I hope for you that lg has made a better quality phone than the g2x. the ox3(or whatever it will be called) has some awesome specs. you couldnt give me an lg phone i dont care what the specs are.

the nexus camera is horrid, my env touch camera was better than this.

t35rk

Reaction score
LG has some of the best screens on a phone.

with that in mind do not buy an lg phone.

trust me you would regret it.

Wondering how you and others would feel about these two phones if the Nexus didn't have ICS and a naked Android experience. My guess is the LG would stack up. The Samsung Android track record hasn't exactly been a bed of roses.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Wondering how you and others would feel about these two phones if the Nexus didn't have ICS and a naked Android experience. My guess is the LG would stack up. The Samsung Android track record hasn't exactly been a bed of roses.

no if it was between lg only phone with android and an iphone id have to go with an iphone.
that is how bad my experience with lg was. years ago i had a bad experience with kodak. and that was only 1 faulty product probably but their customer support of it was so horrid i have never bought another kodak product and even though i had enjoyed and still have 1 lg tv. i wont buy another. im not saying the specs for the spectrum arent good and the x3 is a killer. but the word LG on the product is more of a killer for me.
i dont believe me or the others came here to bash lg its just to warn people of the experience we had when we gave them shot.
It would be nice if they turn it around, more competition is good. but at this time they are not competiton as i wouldnt even consider buying another lg phone at this time. they would have to go through t least 1 cycle of phone that worked out of the box and that they updated when they said they would.

thius has nothing to do with the nexus there are a couple phones out that if had unencrypted bootloader would be big competitors and lg has had unencrypted bootloaders so i imagine the spectrum is the same. at least it uses a more open hardware. so cm should be able to get ics to it quickly. the specs on the spectrum are fine. and the sdcard gives a big advantage. all were saying is we have experience with LG and than researched and found that it wasnt only the g2x but others had similar expereinces with lg phones so we are just trying to help the community.
if you buy a spectrum good luck to you. hope you have a great experience with it.

t35rk

Reaction score
no if it was between lg only phone with android and an iphone id have to go with an iphone.
that is how bad my experience with lg was. years ago i had a bad experience with kodak. and that was only 1 faulty product probably but their customer support of it was so horrid i have never bought another kodak product and even though i had enjoyed and still have 1 lg tv. i wont buy another. im not saying the specs for the spectrum arent good and the x3 is a killer. but the word LG on the product is more of a killer for me.
i dont believe me or the others came here to bash lg its just to warn people of the experience we had when we gave them shot.
It would be nice if they turn it around, more competition is good. but at this time they are not competiton as i wouldnt even consider buying another lg phone at this time. they would have to go through t least 1 cycle of phone that worked out of the box and that they updated when they said they would.

thius has nothing to do with the nexus there are a couple phones out that if had unencrypted bootloader would be big competitors and lg has had unencrypted bootloaders so i imagine the spectrum is the same. at least it uses a more open hardware. so cm should be able to get ics to it quickly. the specs on the spectrum are fine. and the sdcard gives a big advantage. all were saying is we have experience with LG and than researched and found that it wasnt only the g2x but others had similar expereinces with lg phones so we are just trying to help the community.
if you buy a spectrum good luck to you. hope you have a great experience with it.

Thanks eagle. I'm looking for Costco to offer the Spectrum. They have the best (longest) return policy in the biz. Plus we buy these devices for 20 months, its not a lifetime. It is the LG screen that can make an otherwise dull device worth it.