Anyone still on OG VZW Unlimited Data?

Big Ry

Reaction score
I still have my LG G2 that i bought out right 3.5 years ago. Two years before that was my last upgrade, the Galaxy Nexus. I need to get a new phone again, but the deals all seem only geared towards new plans these days. I lucked out with the G2. The G6 was on sale at the same price on prime day, but i don't want that phone. I'm thinking either Pixel XL, Essential, wait for Pixel 2, or possibly S8+. The original pixels are on sale at BB now, but the terms and conditions are a little unclear on whether or not I'll need to (a) sign a contract, or (b) simply have a "newer" plan. Does anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Actually pretty sure you can still buy outright at Best buy and not have to change plans.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No, it's the discount I'm asking about. I know i can just buy one at full retail and activate it. But when they go on sale, the sale price is often tied to the plans somehow. I'm trying to figure out if that's still the case, because the fine print is a little confusing.

Last time I was in Verizon they said I could get a phone and finance it. Meh. As of an hour ago I just bought a new 64g droid turbo off of eBay for 175 shipped. Okay it's a 3 year old phone but it still has good specs, does everything the newer ones do, for 700 bucks less. And takes up less room in the pocket, needed real estate for the money I saved. I'm so over the gotta have the latest, greatest phone out there on release day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No, it's the discount I'm asking about. I know i can just buy one at full retail and activate it. But when they go on sale, the sale price is often tied to the plans somehow. I'm trying to figure out if that's still the case, because the fine print is a little confusing.

there is no way to answer without knowing what you were looking at. post the link here and someone will take a look.

in general the descriptions should say the price is with a plan.

As of an hour ago I just bought a new 64g droid turbo off of eBay for 175 shipped. Okay it's a 3 year old phone but it still has good specs, does everything the newer ones do, for 700 bucks less.

Still really like mine. But might be "forced" to buy a new one since it's not compatible with the bluetooth smartlock I bought for my smartwatch. Yes, you read that right - stupid developers still mostly don't know how to create apps for AW2.0.

I am still on the Original Unlimited Plan and purchased a phone recieving the half of deal from Best Buy. The "contract" was for the payment plan, we have to go all 24 months in order to recieve the bill credit for half the phone payment. Basically a contract while not being a contract technically. The line is still on the original plan but not eligible for an upgrade till 12/18.

The other 2 lines have not used an upgrade since 2011, this 1/2 off payment plan scam is just a way for them to keep you tied to them for 2 more years.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The other 2 lines have not used an upgrade since 2011, this 1/2 off payment plan scam is just a way for them to keep you tied to them for 2 more years.

Several hundred dollars? No thank you. Gotta keep my options open. Gotta be free to jump ship if VZW does something I don't like, or even if I think they might do something I don't like. But, mostly, I'm going to walk away from several hundred bucks in my pocket because I refuse to give VZW the satisfaction. I will most likely continue to be a VZW customer, but they aren't going to know that!

And it's thought processes like the above as to why some people never have the money to actually pay retail for a phone. Never understood this irrational fear and hatred of contracts.

I am still on the Original Unlimited Plan and purchased a phone recieving the half of deal from Best Buy. The "contract" was for the payment plan, we have to go all 24 months in order to recieve the bill credit for half the phone payment. Basically a contract while not being a contract technically. The line is still on the original plan but not eligible for an upgrade till 12/18.

You might want to give Verizon a call, cause it sounds like that best buy rep was just blowing smoke to make a sale. If you're "not eligible for an upgrade" until 2018, now, after getting a new phone on your original unlimited data plan, you no longer have that original unlimited data plan. He lied to you.

Nope, the original unlimited plan is no longer like that, we are just paying for it now. All 3 lines still on the unlimited with talk and text w 1400 minutes family share plan.

Still have the $20.00 per line discount too.

Back