App updates

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You've done loaded 123? My play store shows gmail, phone, contacts etc for a total of 54.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh, I've got gmail, phone, contacts, Now launcher, Photos, Messenger, all of those that came preloaded on the 6P included in that list.

I love the new ability to set up your phone based on it or another phone that you used previously. While most of those apps were downloaded to this phone before I reset it and sent it off for repair, I've downloaded several new ones since I got the phone back. 3 video editor apps to try, GoPro app and some others.

I like using my phone. ;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did a recent cleanup and am down to 139 apps and 4 aftermarket widgets. About a dozen of those are companions to ones for my watches.
I turned off all auto updates a few years back due to bad updates and now I check recent reviews before updating. If I see recent negative reviews, especially stating it's broken, cpu hog or buggy now I'll skip it. S Health comes to mind as my most loathed after a forced update embedded in the 5.1.1 update. That app is now useless to me.
I have a bunch of data left over at the end of each month so i don't really worry about what data is used for my updates but I don't update any without research first and sometimes will pass along findings, be they good or bad.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I couldn't imagine manually maintaining all the apps on my phone?!? Wow.
I guess even if 1 of my apps did break...NBD. There's no app on here I couldn't live without for a week.

TapaTurboII

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Problem is, developers don't "fix" or correct a problem with an app update in a week. It typically takes takes months. (Case in point, TapaTalk updates over the past few years) so unless you've got a backup in TiBu or similar app that you can reinstall, you're out of luck. The thing is, "most" app updates are insignificant and you're not likely to notice much of a difference after taking an update. But every once in awhile, an update will come along that completely changes the look and UX. For example last Spring when developers were on the whole "Material Design" bandwagon. The way i see it is, if an app is working fine and running smooth, there's no rush for me to update it.
I take the exact same approach with OS updates and it's saved me a lot of headache. Lollipop is still reeking havoc on devices, even after a couple updates....which took months to be pushed out.
The way I see it is, If it ain't broke don't fix it.
But that's just me...

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK, agree there. I guess there really is not one app I couldn't completely live without. Although I'd be pissed if Android Wear app was broken. There's nothing to take its place. But I trust Goog would fix that pronto.

TapaTurboII

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, agree there. I guess there really is not one app I couldn't completely live without. Although I'd be pissed if Android Wear app was broken. There's nothing to take its place. But I trust Goog would fix that pronto.

TapaTurboII
It's the ones that cause bugs in other things that bother me. Swype had an update that caused phones to freeze, no matter whether using it or not, that took almost 2 years and numerous updates to finally fix. Yes there are other keyboards out there and some of us are more studied at finding older apks in the wild for our favorites that went rogue but with Android fragmentation it's a crap shoot for every app update since developers are trying to make them play nice with a plethora of possible combinations of finished product the app is designed to work on.
As far as carrying a bunch of apps I use all that I didn't recently dump at least occasionally. I've got 37 apps on my Gear S that I use , not including watch faces. 7 of those I use multiple times per day.
Unlike my Apple product days, none of my apps are needed in order to use my devices to their fullest. I don't need an app to make my bloatware work with my aftermarket apps or as a work around the bloatware.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK, well I just got the big old screw over from doing updates.

Saw I had 14 updates. Glanced over them, checked a few. OK: *Update all*
Co-worker comes in, discussing a project. I look down at my phone.... and it's rebooting. huh?
ANDROID IS UPDATING....
Hmm. OK.
It finishes. Boots up. I press home: CHOOSE HOME: Nova or Launcher 3. Huh? Uh... where is my Zen UI?
HANGOUTS HAS CRASHED
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
wtf?
YOU NEED TO UPDATE GOOGLE SERVICES FOR ANDROID WEAR TO WORK.
Go to Play Store: ADD ACCOUNT?
W T F!
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Add my account, try to go into Gmail: GMAIL HAS CRASHED
Reboot. Get into Play Store...apps that I long ago disabled are there and wanting to update.
It's like it did a partial factory reset. All my apps are set back to defaults. Any apps I was logged into I am no longer logged into.
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Try to get into my Corporate mail account. I cannot.
Go to my Text app (the one I just installed is gone). "Would you like to use this instead of Message+?"
DAMNIT!
Connect to my computer, it acts like they've never met.
Oddly the very last app I installed is there, but the 3 prior are not. All photos are there, all texts. Call history.
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Wow...

I'd hold off on any Google Services updates for now people.
#LessonLearned

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
OK, well I just got the big old screw over from doing updates.

Saw I had 14 updates. Glanced over them, checked a few. OK: *Update all*
Co-worker comes in, discussing a project. I look down at my phone.... and it's rebooting. huh?
ANDROID IS UPDATING....
Hmm. OK.
It finishes. Boots up. I press home: CHOOSE HOME: Nova or Launcher 3. Huh? Uh... where is my Zen UI?
HANGOUTS HAS CRASHED
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
wtf?
YOU NEED TO UPDATE GOOGLE SERVICES FOR ANDROID WEAR TO WORK.
Go to Play Store: ADD ACCOUNT?
W T F!
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Add my account, try to go into Gmail: GMAIL HAS CRASHED
Reboot. Get into Play Store...apps that I long ago disabled are there and wanting to update.
It's like it did a partial factory reset. All my apps are set back to defaults. Any apps I was logged into I am no longer logged into.
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Try to get into my Corporate mail account. I cannot.
Go to my Text app (the one I just installed is gone). "Would you like to use this instead of Message+?"
DAMNIT!
Connect to my computer, it acts like they've never met.
Oddly the very last app I installed is there, but the 3 prior are not. All photos are there, all texts. Call history.
CLOCK HAS CRASHED
Wow...

I'd hold off on any Google Services updates for now people.
#LessonLearned
That sounds like more than an issue with an app update to me. Even if it was Google services. That's crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, Johnny, that's kind of the point I'm making. :p In the APP UPDATES thread!?!

And I'm guessing it was one of the Google ones.
So I advise any Turbo 2 owner to hold off on any of those Google apps for now.

And THANK YOU MOTO for putting the SD Card back, Factory Reset: NO BIG DEAL! Pics all safe on SD.
Hey, Verizon... thanks for Messages+! All my txt's are backed up now!
Never used that before but I knew it could do that...and it's done.
So heck...I'll give it a try. After my FDR.
*sigh....

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried Messages+ a while back. Was kinda neat to be able to text from my tablet at night while reading & not have to grab my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...So I advise any Turbo 2 owner to hold off on any of those Google apps for now...

That sucks Pere! Hope you can get it back up & running again quickly. I updated a bunch of Google apps Sunday morning and again yesterday. No issues with my phone. Then again....I did have the watch issues the next day. Google apps are about the only ones I do update regularly (G Mail, Google, Chrome, Drive, Play Music, etc.). Definitely sucks when app updates Bork up the whole phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Going well. Cloud restore worked really well this time. I like how it gave me a list of my apps to install and let me choose instead of just installing them all.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
31138b686dfe6ce70d9724efc9c14036.jpg

Hmmm. Did I miss a post? My favorite website didn't tell me about this?!?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nice, I have not received that offer.