Bad Headphone Jack - Droid X - Crackling plus Random Voice Command activation

KevinWP

Reaction score
I've had my Droid X 10 days now (Since release day).

I've already developed headphone jack issues due to a loose or faulty headphone jack. Random crackling, level loss and left or right side loss. Additionally, the static on the line is so bad at times, that is is randomly activating Voice Command, and Redial on the phone.

I've confirmed that is isn't my line equipment. 2 Headphone sets (1 New), 4 extension cables (2 new), and to top it all off... it has gotten so bad that today it activated voice command just from the jarring of going over a parking lot speed bump at the Verizon store.

Now I admit.. I use the headphones alot... I walk 2-3 miles a day, plus 4-6 hours at work with headphone on, so I'm probably just early to report this problem, but hopefully it's a one off issue. Also FYI, I carry the phone loose in a pocket and not in a belt case, so the headphone plug is exposed and potentially subject to some minor flex a lot of the time.

This problem was not evident when I reecived the phone, it took 4 days before I noticed it the first time, another 3 days to realize it wasn't the cables, and then another 3 days to get unbearable. (I've pocket dialed my last call 10 times today total, and had voice command activate 20+ times, all due to static on the headphone line)

The good news is that Verizon does have some warranty replacement phones ready for 2 day ship:icon_ banana:, even though new orders are now scheduled for 2 weeks out.

Another good thing is that it took all of 5 minutes in a busy store to get (seemingly) bumped to the front of the line when they heard it was a DX problem, and then less than 5 minutes to get the warranty replacement order placed and walking back out the door.

Just putting the problem report out there..., FYI.

bramos

Reaction score
I just did a search for this problem an found your post, KevinWP. I too use the headphone jack a lot... This problem is very annoying (constant redialing and voice command activation due to static from the jack). This very much may be major manufacturing defect. On my way to the Verizon store myself! I hope my experience is better with the next phone. Will advise.

jblanchet

Reaction score
Im having this problem after roughly a week. I don't want to take it to verizon if im just gunna get a replacement that will do the same thing in a week. Have they recognized this and offered a fix or warranty repair?

Droids

Reaction score
You'd think that Moto would have used a different jack for the X and the D2 vs. the problematic jack in the D1. Personally I've never used mine (maybe once). A bluetooth headset is the way to go, but come on Moto...

Jcrocker8

Reaction score
I am really disappointed. I spent all day trying to figure out how to get my itunes sync'd with my Dx. I got my playlists on my phone, plugged it into my aux jack in my car and all hell broke loose. my phone was making random phone calls, the music player stopped reading songs, voice command kept coming on. It was ridiculous.

I tried running with my phone and it kept turning off. I used to be able to run with my Storm as my mp3 player. I am going to be really disappointed if my Dx cannot be used for this.