ClockworkMod Recovery and 32GB Cards

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
Since updating to a new 32GB microSD card in my Droid, I have had nothing but problems with ClockworkMod Recovery. If I try to back up my Rom from Rom Manager, the Droid reboots into recovery and gives me mount errors and then reboots to recovery before freezing and then completely rebooting the phone. If I just boot into recovery, the phone usually freezes and then reboots as I am navigating through recovery. This usually requires a battery pull a couple of times and the several reboots of recovery before I can do what I need.

I have flashed alternate recovery and then back to Clockwork and this helped slightly (my backups now have the date in the file name instead of just 1970-01-01). I read that the card may need to be reformatted, so I formatted the card and put all my data back on the card. This has not fixed anything. I still get the same errors. I do not have any issues with the card and have scanned it for errors and all seems fine with the card. What else could be causing this?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are not the first to have issues after changing to a 32 GB SD card. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a reason why some have issues while others do not.

I suggest reinserting your original SD card restoring a good backup. Then reformat the new card preferably by using a micro SD card reader and not your phone.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know how your resolve.

Mike

jdhas

Reaction score
What a nightmare! I have a 32GB card in the mail for my DX. I had no idea there were so many known issues. Please let us know if you are able to find a way to get your card working like it should!

captdroid

Reaction score
Since updating to a new 32GB microSD card in my Droid, I have had nothing but problems with ClockworkMod Recovery. If I try to back up my Rom from Rom Manager, the Droid reboots into recovery and gives me mount errors and then reboots to recovery before freezing and then completely rebooting the phone. If I just boot into recovery, the phone usually freezes and then reboots as I am navigating through recovery. This usually requires a battery pull a couple of times and the several reboots of recovery before I can do what I need.

I have flashed alternate recovery and then back to Clockwork and this helped slightly (my backups now have the date in the file name instead of just 1970-01-01). I read that the card may need to be reformatted, so I formatted the card and put all my data back on the card. This has not fixed anything. I still get the same errors. I do not have any issues with the card and have scanned it for errors and all seems fine with the card. What else could be causing this?

I have seen these issues with ClockworkMod even with the Verizon installed 16gig SD card on a couple newer Droid1's. Seems the Droid1 and ClockworkMod are particular about the SD card installed. Never had these issues on my older Droid1.

OP
P

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score

I have seen these issues with ClockworkMod even with the Verizon installed 16gig SD card on a couple newer Droid1's. Seems the Droid1 and ClockworkMod are particular about the SD card installed. Never had these issues on my older Droid1.

I will report back tonight after I give this a try. I reformatted with the card in my phone (through Windows), but will try in a card reader. I got my Droid a little less than a year ago and have not experienced some of the other issues newer models have. I hope another format works.:icon_question:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had problems with CW and SPR with my 32GB - I ended up returning the card, it wasn't worth the trouble

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Yeah, I have those same issues with my 32GB card. It's 100% a problem with ClockworkMod Recovery. The larger card takes longer to check and mount, and it just doesn't wait long enough. Most of the time I am not able to command installs and backups from ROM Manager, but if I reboot into recovery manually (holding X) it works fine. Totally worth it for 2x the storage.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What class card? If it's over what the Droid is designed to handle it could be a compatibility issue, and if it's slower then it's not keeping up with the demands.

OP
P

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
Yeah, I have those same issues with my 32GB card. It's 100% a problem with ClockworkMod Recovery. The larger card takes longer to check and mount, and it just doesn't wait long enough. Most of the time I am not able to command installs and backups from ROM Manager, but if I reboot into recovery manually (holding X) it works fine. Totally worth it for 2x the storage.

I have issues in recovery where it will freeze and reboot the phone. It takes a few reboots or battery pulls before recovery works without issue, but never from RM.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
P

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
What class card? If it's over what the Droid is designed to handle it could be a compatibility issue, and if it's slower then it's not keeping up with the demands.

Its a class 2 just like the original card in the Droid.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BachinPhx

Reaction score
I just started having these issues. I have had the 32gB card for over a month. Now out of the blue, I can't back up through CWM, can't install themes, even get to recovery. This is SO frustrating. Any help here?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I just started having these issues. I have had the 32gB card for over a month. Now out of the blue, I can't back up through CWM, can't install themes, even get to recovery. This is SO frustrating. Any help here?

Hold X on boot to get into recovery. If recovery crashes and reboot, hold X again. Once you get into CWR and get /sdcard to mount, you're in good shape and should be able to backup or install anything you want.

bigbadboots

Reaction score

i had my old Droid 1 stolen, and i just got a replacement from verizon, which is said to be a "certified pre-owned", but to me it looks like its never been used before. this new one has a 16 gb card in it and i've had the exact same problems as described above.

I didn't reformat the card, but I did re-flash with the old 2.0 .sbf file, then rooted, then flashed cm6.1b3. I had been trying a couple other roms before settling with cm6. MIUI wouldn't even load with sprecovery or clockwork, sapphire kept rebooting at the boot screen, and project elite did the same thing.

markwebb

Reaction score

Likewise! Same issues. Eventually I get one or the other way to work. Sometimes it works flawlessly ... and sometimes not. It's a crapshoot.