Droid Incredible connects to WiFi, but doesn't allow internet access

slappy2040

Reaction score
I was having a problem with my Droid Incredible connecting to my WEP secured home network. I finally switched the network to WPA Personal security and the Incredible now connects and gets an IP address assigned. HOWEVER, although it connects to the network, the phone will not connect to the internet. Has anyone else been experiencing these WiFi problems with the incredible? Any solutions out there?

smcgst

Reaction score
internet fix

I just solved this issue. When you connect to WiFi in WiFi setting hit menu and uncheck static ip

OP
S

slappy2040

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried turning off static ip and although it still connected to the network, it still won't connect to the internet. Any other ideas?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the reply. I tried turning off static ip and although it still connected to the network, it still won't connect to the internet. Any other ideas?

do you happen to have your router set up so it only recognizes devices through a MAC address?

OP
S

slappy2040

Reaction score
I don't think I have my router setup only to recognize MAC addresses. Both of my laptops connect just fine. One uses Windows 7 and the other uses Windows Vista. Also my PS3 and Wii link up just fine as well. I had to change the security from WEP (the phone couldn't even connect to it) to WAP. Now, the phone finds the network and connects very quickly. I just can't use the internet once using the WiFi.

Any other ideas to try?

TheGlatMachine

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem as well. Don't know if any of my setup matches yours, but i have a WEP security, Comcast ISP, using a Linksys WRT54GX2 router (1.01.14 firmware) i've tried rebooting the router, tried changing the wireless to G only (from Mixed mode). There is MAC filtering, but i put my phones MAC addy in, and can connect to the network.
I was wondering if changing the security to WPA, would do anything, but I guess that didnt work for slappy. My phone is set for DHCP. I also tried to make the phone a static IP, but that didnt help either.

Dont know if my setup matches anyone elses, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

16valve

Reaction score
Try changing the wifi channel on the router. I live in a condo building with lots of wireless networks. Trying a different wifi channel fixed the problem for me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I had this problem when I first got my incredible. What I did was change the security key type from WPA2 to WEP, reset the router, turn off MAC filtering or whatever it was, then back to WPA2.

For some reason it worked, and I haven't had a problem with it ever since.

Rugger6422

Reaction score
I had the same issue...here's my fix

I was having a problem with my Droid Incredible connecting to my WEP secured home network. I finally switched the network to WPA Personal security and the Incredible now connects and gets an IP address assigned. HOWEVER, although it connects to the network, the phone will not connect to the internet. Has anyone else been experiencing these WiFi problems with the incredible? Any solutions out there?

Under advanced tab, advanced network, on your router (mine is a D-Link) enable multicast streams. I was having issues with having a full connection with my WiFi, but no access to web, market, etc. I messed with my router for about an hour before I tried this, and now it is working perfectly fine, with download speeds of 5.69 Mbps, and 3.13 upload speedsdancedroid(per the Speedtest app.) Hope this helps! P.S. I didn't have to change the security of the router either, left it on WPA2

Last edited:

TheGlatMachine

Reaction score
No luck for me. Changed the channel from auto (channel 6) to 1 and 11 before enabling multicast. Gonna try to change it back to channel 6 and see if that helps. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It is a Comcast network, with Linksys WRT54GX2 if that helps (or matters)

barkely

Reaction score
Possible Fix

I was having the same problem for about a week. I could connect and surf using 3G but not using a wireless network through Comcast. We ended up resetting the wireless router and now I am back working.
Not sure if it will help but it is worth a try.

wolfdragon

Reaction score
Along with that...

the previous mentioned methods are possible fixes, however if ur a linksys router owner it's probably not in ur best interest to uncheck the "multicast streaming" filter tab. for a quick 411 class, the multicast stream controls windows media, vlc, itunes, etc media streaming. it is possible to access ur network via this method and that is what the filter is for....layman terms explanation. u want the detailed version feel free to visit the sisco site i forget where to go but im sure it's there.
Back on topic, if you've reset ur router and still have connection but no internet access final problem may lie in ur rom. (though this applies primarily to modded/custom rom phones) the radio update may cause a conflict with ur access especially if ur not gettin a good signal/ good web speed. this i cannot explain, but it is the situation. had the problem myself and fried my brain for days till i decided to try changing the radio and rom in that order. problem solved^_^

link for better explanation.... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753242(v=ws.10).aspx

Last edited:
OP
S

slappy2040

Reaction score
Thanks all...but still not working

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. However, I think i tried everything that has been mentioned here and still no luck. I tried changing the router to "unsecured"....I tried changing from WPA to WPA2....I tried changing to "G-Only" mode....I tried updating the firmware for the router. Still nothing. I'm thinking it may be a compatibility issue with the router...i have a WRT54G from linksys. I couldn't find the "mixed stream" mode in the router settings. Maybe not available with this router?

Anyone else with any suggestions?