Droid3 won't boot completely (plus encrypted data)

jessman1128

Reaction score
Since last night my Droid3 (Verizon Wireless) will not boot completely. It starts the boot process normally. After seeing the red animated boot screen for awhile, there's an audio notification that usually indicates that the boot process has finished at which time the home screen displays. Instead (since last night), the red animated screen continues to display for a little while, then it eventually goes black and there's no screen at all. Buttons are non-responsive. After a few minutes the phone reboots itself (indicated by the audio "droid" message) and the entire process repeats...and repeats...and repeats unless I pull the battery.

I've tried doing a safe mode boot but that had the same results.

I'd do a factory reset, except that I had encryption on (due to my corporate e-mail) and will have no way to access my files/photos if I do a hard reset.

Two questions:
-Any advice on fixing whatever is wrong with my phone?

-Has anyone ever figured out a way to decrypt Android3-encrypted data after doing a factory reset? Most of my files are on my external SD card, so I still can access the files, I just can't view them on my computer due to their encrypted status.

OP
J

jessman1128

Reaction score
I'm trying to get adb to work to see if I can figure out anything using that. Unfortunately, I don't have USB Debugging enabled on my phone, and can't enable it due to no use of the phone once it has finished booting.

Some other info in case it's relevant:
When booting either into regular or safe mode, once it is booted (albeit with no screen or still the red animated boot screen) if I call my phone via my landline, then my droid receives the call, shows it via the screen, and I can then answer or reject the call using the proper screen swipe. If I answer the call, I can speak/hear with the cell phone, I can also access the dialpad. I cannot, however, access the home screen or anything else. All 4 buttons at the bottom of the phone are disabled, as is the notification bar at the top of the phone. As soon as I end the call, the limited functionality (all in-call) all ceases.

Found some info online about wiping the phone's cache using the Recovery boot menu. I tried that, but it didn't change anything.

Some online threads talk about a "Early USB Enumeration" option that allows adb to work while the phone is booting. I can't find this option on my phone. Anyone know if it's accessible, and if so, how?

Once the phone is booted, if I connect it to my computer it generally connects but only displays two empty external drives in Device Manager.

Tried the FastBoot option, and when I connect the data cable as instructed it has no drivers for the device on my computer. In Device Manager it initially shows an unrecognized device labeled "FastBoot xyz". Now, after having installed the adb Google USB driver, when connecting via FastBoot it shows a device named "Android ADB Interface". However, when running "adb devices" there are still no devices detected.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

OP
J

jessman1128

Reaction score
Problem solved! I received some help over on another forum. Turns out the problem was the Launcher Pro home screen app I was using. It was crashing and thus preventing me from doing anything with my phone. The suggestion was to go to my Google account online on my computer and remove that app as well as install another home screen app. I did this and it cleared up the problem!