Drowned my Turbo

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pere, I have to apologize for making light of your painful and tragic loss. I know how it feels. I've lost two phone to a watery grave. The first splashed down because I had it in my shirt pocket and bent over to get the chlorine float out of the pool. Slid smoothly out of my pocket and in slow motion right into the deep end of the pool. It was also in January so I had little inclination to dive in after it. The second time, the phone was in my shorts pocket while I was cleaning the pool. A daring wasp decided to attack a much larger yet harmless prey (me). As I was flailing around doing my wasp dance, my phone again fell in the pool along with me. Now my phone knows never to even enter the pool area. Hope all goes well with the replacement. I'm sure it will be even better than the original.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes I can say cataflopic...catatonic...catasomething failure. It's my middle name! Look it up on wikidummia. My picture is there. I'm going to have to try the 120psi compressed air thing on an old phone....with proper safety equipment in place, it sounds like fun. I'll take a video and post it from the hospital. There is usually plenty of time while I'm waiting in the ER.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Agreed. We are not intending on making light of the loss. Like you @jkoad , I had my last Turbo 2 in my shirt pocket and was up on the top of a ladder. I bent over to reach something and watched as the phone, in slow motion slid effortlessly and silently out of my shirt pocket while I shouted "nooooooooooooo" (really it was something much less tame), cascaded in a summersault fashion down, decided to do an aerial acrobatics 2 1/2 twist in the pike position to an end bounce off one of the steps, multiplying it's speed of rotation, then transitioning into a double 2 1/2 reverse into a reverse pike and then in a ba-dump-bump bounced, flipped a double, bounced another single and a quarter again and landed face down.

Yes the screen survived, but the edges and face of the bezel took pretty good dents and scuffs. I almost would have preferred it simply die from water damage than look like it's been the victim of a building collapse. Fortunately for me it had other problems and qualified for a CLNR.

In the end I was happy with it. Let's hope it's the same for you @PereDroid.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mehr4x4

Reaction score
Oh man that sucks!
I dunked my original turbo for the first time the other day. I bent over and it fell out right into a 3"deep mud puddle. Totally submerged for like ten seconds while I had to climb down and get under the vehicle I was leaving over. I was sure it was a goner. Wiped it off and NO ill effects. I couldn't believe it, I still don't! Crazy, sorry man! :-(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know, I think that being totally submerged may actually work to your advantage. Since all openings are under water at the same time, the pressure internally actually helps to keep the water out. In Pere's case, it was the bottom 3", so the top was open to the air pressure and the bottom was under the added pressure of the chlorinated water. The result is water rising slowly inside from the bottom up. In your case, a tiny amount may have made it into the outermost edges of the phone but didn't penetrate deep enough to reach critical components.

I believe the mud may also have been a mixed blessing, since it kept the water in suspension with the dirt, to make it more like a paste and less viscous. Did you do anything else other than just wiping the phone off? Did you take care when wiping the mud off the screen face to not have it scratch the screen? You may know that mud is VERY abrasive and could actually be used as a polishing paste.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
That really sucks @PereDroid .. At least you had insurance.. Keep the replacement away from the pool..

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I wonder if getting it out of the water quickly and then using my sock trick would have worked to save it. Since it was only the bottom third of the phone that got wet if you put that end toward the sock's toe, and then spun it really hard for as long as you can like helicopter rotors it may have gotten the water out in time to prevent it from doing damage.
I have no doubt that would have worked. Wish I would have thought of it. But I didn't really have access to a sock at the time. My son and I were at a public pool 20 minutes from the house. We had overslept so had not eaten. Had to get him (and I) some food asap.
I stopped at a local convenience store and bought a box of rice on our way to lunch. I should have stopped at the target for a sock. Hehehe

There is even the chance that it could still be salvageable, although the odds are probably rapidly diminishing.
Zero chance. Something is definitely fried. There was no chance probably 20-30 minutes after the incident. More then anything else I blame the inability to actually power the device off and keep it off.

The good thing is that your insurance is going to provide you with the certified like-new replacement. That is no consolation if your phone was in good shape to begin with, but if it were scratched or nicked or dented you essentially wind up with a phone that looks brand new.
It was mint. :( And had a leather back. But I SHOULD still have a DESIGN REFRESH available. :D :D :D

Good luck with the new phone. Hopefully all your data was backed up and restoring it will be relatively painless.
Of Course. Kind of a professional here. I panicked a little about pics at first because I hadn't re-setup DropSynch on my phone (to properly synch to DropBox... the normal DB app sucks) but then I remembered "O yea... all that is SAFELY ON MY SD CARD!"
Never again will I own an SD-Less phone....

Agreed. We are not intending on making light of the loss.

Pffft. It's just a phone. The important things in my life are good (my family). Please make light. I insist!

Oh man that sucks!
I dunked my original turbo for the first time the other day. I bent over and it fell out right into a 3"deep mud puddle. Totally submerged for like ten seconds while I had to climb down and get under the vehicle I was leaving over. I was sure it was a goner. Wiped it off and NO ill effects. I couldn't believe it, I still don't! Crazy, sorry man! :-(

ikr? Like Fox said I bet it was because of the pool water. I mean it DOES have basic water resistance.

Here's the best part... I've been using an iPhone 4S since it happened with my Google Voice #.
MY GOD...this thing is TINY. LOL!

Replacement on the truck for delivery.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I tried Fox's trick once. It was working until suddenly (I must have had a strong sock) I attained lift-off and landed about 50 yds out in the lagoon where Me and my phone sunk to the bottom. Sad

Sorry to hear about your phone Pere, even more sorry the LNR is on its way. I am on #2 with #3 a certainty with my Turbo after I dropped my Good ol original.

Best phone I ever had. Dependable. These replacements are possessed.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree, Captain. I have no luck with replacements, generally.

So my new baby is here. Um... I hate to even hope this is true but....guys...
I THINK IT'S NEW! I've had more then my share of refurbs, and if this is one: it is pristine!
Came in the original packaging. Looks mint. I know people do get new some times. (And even if that just never happens, keep your mouth shut and let me dream).
I REALLY like this black color combo, too! Very sharp looking. Black with the grey accents. Bad ass.
And another Turbo charger because all they want back is the old phone. W00t.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'd love to know why this phone ships with GOOGLE KEOREAN INPUT and Japanese and INDIC....which you cannot remove, only disable.
Anyone?

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd love to know why this phone ships with GOOGLE KEOREAN INPUT and Japanese and INDIC....which you cannot remove, only disable.
Anyone?
Nexus does as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I spray this every few months.

eee5cb5b714d36fb7d82eaac1589fc03.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk