7+
fdc201d8665ea9bfe69b69eecb6c65d2.png
6ffe1a68f02993734073195bd501318c.jpeg
7f8a6322e39d9393a5f51dddf5410213.jpeg

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe this is Andy rubin's modular phone that's been hyped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Its definitely Andy's rumor for sure ...$50 additional gets you the 360 camera attachment ...it kinda looks like the rumored v30 front I saw posted previously..front panel anyway ...

7+

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe this is Andy rubin's modular phone that's been hyped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That's exactly what it is.

More specs:
Snapdragon 835
4GB RAM
128GB storage

It interesting for sure. I still think, even though Rubin had a hand in Android's beginnings, they're not going to sell a lot of them if they can't get them in carrier stores. I've seen some articles this morning that he's claiming that they won't put ANY junk on the phone that you won't want, so that's gonna be a hard deal to make when you don't have the power of Apple or Samsung's name recognition behind you.

What's just as interesting is that they've also announced an Amazon Echo/Google Home competitor and 360 degree camera. Kudos to them for having more than one product for their first big announcement as a company.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nice looking phone, and seems pretty impressive after spending some time on their website. I like it. I like the magnetic connector idea, similar concept to the Moto Z. The docking / charging station looks interesting and kind of cool, and their version of a smart home speaker is an added bonus. I hope they do well and sell enough to stay in business. I do agree with @Jonny Kansas that selling a lot of these may be tough in the US if they can't get them into carrier stores. Tech enthusiasts may know about the phone and gobble them up, but the general population may never really know much about the phone if it's not in stores where they can see it. Good luck Essential!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I also wondered about their success if they aren't part of a carrier lineup. Advertising will be crucial and to get people on board they will need to be competitive in price and offer interest free payment plans.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Reached out to them for a few questions. It will release with 7.1.1 which for those of us who want the latest and greatest might frown at.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

markwebb

Reaction score
No wireless charging, no waterproofing,no updated audio, no OLED screen and that weird front camera at $699 sounds expensive compared to current flagships. Intrigued but...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No wireless charging, no waterproofing, no micro SD card, no updated audio, no OLED screen and that weird front camera at $699 sounds expensive compared to current flagships. Intrigued but...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was concerned about the camera being in the middle of the top of the screen as well, but one article I read on it mentioned that that's mostly be the status bar in portrait mode & icons don't really spread into the middle much.

As for the rest, that's where the beauty of the ability to add Moto mod like pieces comes in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

markwebb

Reaction score
I was concerned about the camera being in the middle of the top of the screen as well, but one article I read on it mentioned that that's mostly be the status bar in portrait mode & icons don't really spread into the middle much.

As for the rest, that's where the beauty of the ability to add Moto mod like pieces comes in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Not into the mod thing at all: tried Moto Z Play and really not into carrying around more accessories.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why not have black bar up top instead of bottom since camera up there ruining full screen anyways?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8