Excitement vs disappointment

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Right now people are excited about the nexus prime just like we are every android device (hype beast) and at the same time iphone fans are not as stoked about the iphone 4s. So here is my question, when people go and buy the devices and actually use it will things flip and more nexus prime customers be disappointed compare to iphone 4s customers. See the iphone 4s has been already played down so people are not expecting it to be a game changer so the increase in speed and ios 5 tweaks may take them by surprise. The other side is we are all hyped up over the nexus prime its suppose to be the beast we finally been waiting for. In the past the beast we been waiting for (tbolt, bionic, charge) has had some issue that has driven some people to be sort of disappointed. See when you have a lot of hype you either will meet it or cause disappointment. Remember vanilla android does not have the "eye candy" as a sense, blur, or touchwiz. The people who are mainly excited about the nexus are a similar group which are mainly the people who care enough about android to follow it on forums. I had the D1 and I remember seeing sense and even blur (froyo blur) and thinking "wow that looks nice". The nexus should be smooth and fly because of not having a ui on top of it. In the end will Nexus users be proud of their purchase or disappointed.

THis is not meant to bash iphone or android, because they will alway be linked and as iphone improves it pushes android and vice verse. So keep it civil and do not bash someone with a different opinion.

*Puts on flame suit*

The general public in my mind always looked forward to and hype beasted the next Apple device, while being kind of *meh* over android launches (Apple markets itself so much better than Android devices). In my opinion, this is where android has the oppurtunity to become more of a general public interest.

If it is Vanilla, the average will be disappinted. But those that know what they are getting will most likely be fired up. Does the "average" user even know what's coming? Do they know what to be disappointed about? These things seem to drop out of the sky with little notice.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

The Nexus devices I believe are aimed more at the rooting audience then most phones. Google knows that there are many developers and consumers that want this exact type of phone, (vanilla, unlocked bootloader, and first with new os's). I for one am not really buying into the hype. This will be my next phone, but everyone who is getting involved with the hype is setting themselves up to be dissapointed. Take the hype on the Bionic for example. The hype on that phone was rediculous, and now there are so many dissapointed users when its still an amazing device!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I'd sure like to know if the Nexus phones have had big sales numbers? That would tell a bit of the story. I hate to say it but I have grown to like the fancy Sense and Blur visual stuff also. I'll get that Prime if it really wows me tho!

Yes I too am buying the nexus but I know what I am getting into.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I was just thinking about this earlier.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

It makes perfect sense...hype it up to an audience who is totally oblivious to the actual upcoming items. People will buy based on hype and possibly then buy out of pocket for the next hype. Excellent for making money I think.

I still believe that one must take every comment for face value and get the device that you want. No one should purchase something based on a cool commercial or simply because so and so said it is awesome. That isn't information it is opinion. I think that is why we have such haters running around.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

It makes perfect sense...hype it up to an audience who is totally oblivious to the actual upcoming items. People will buy based on hype and possibly then buy out of pocket for the next hype. Excellent for making money I think.

I still believe that one must take every comment for face value and get the device that you want. No one should purchase something based on a cool commercial or simply because so and so said it is awesome. That isn't information it is opinion. I think that is why we have such haters running around.

That's how iphone got so big I know a handfull of people who knew nothing about the iphone and got it just because it was "cool"
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Im stoaked,Im finallly gettin a phone that will get me back n the game(after 9mos of waitin)and getting a phone that will get timely updates 4 the next 2 yrs and will have all these xtras, 32gb,HD screen,4.65,4.0,and bloat free,yeah!!!come 2 daddy.:icon_ banana:

Yes I too am buying the nexus but I know what I am getting into.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
Same here,Ive googled this phone everyday just 2 stay on top of the features,so ill @ least no something about her,unlike vzw employees who no nothin about this phone.I asked a rep 2day about this phone and he looks @ me and says-we're not gettin it-i just said ok and walked away.

Good point catfisher.

Same here,Ive googled this phone everyday just 2 stay on top of the features,so ill @ least no something about her,unlike vzw employees who no nothin about this phone.I asked a rep 2day about this phone and he looks @ me and says-we're not gettin it-i just said ok and walked away.

You should have played the lotto instead of talking to that dude. The odds of hearing something good would have been way better!

I don't know. I want this phone but I'm not sure it'll live up to the hype like most other phones have failed to do. For me it has been a confluence of events that have left me kind of sour on LTE and all of these super android phones. For one, there is the cost of these phones themselves. Gotta pay to play as they say but I'm at a point in my life where practicality prevails over my need for the latest and greatest. Coupled with the anti-consumer practices of the carriers, I refuse to buy for unsubsidized device even though I could without a concern for cost. I'll still be paying the same for my service without the benfit of the subsidy. I had gladly been on yearly contracts for several years which helped satiate my need for newer and better but thats no more.

I'm still debating in my mind over getting the iPhone 4S or the Prime. Yes LTE is blazing fast but battery life sucks. Honestly, I'm near WiFi 90% of the time. iPhones typically get two or three major software upgrades but how often do our android phones get that? Look, I love android, I was an early adopter in thouse crappy donut days but The sheer number of phones and disparity have become too much for me. Even if ICS becomes the unifying platform, there will still be different screen sizes, processors etc. How can software truly be optimized that way compared to Apple?

I'll be watching on the 19th to see what launches. Maybe now that I'm approaching 32 I've become a Camry kind of guy who cares more about socking money away for college funds and retirement vs modding my sports car. Is iOS boring? Yes, does it mostly work? I think so. If I never see another force close message it'll be too soon.

Back