External speaker issue

moset

Reaction score
The app I mentioned gives you a step by step with pics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

moset

Reaction score
I got my CLN yesterday. I think the battery life is some better. Funny thing, it seems snappier. Even after an FDR on the old one. I'm guessing the better battery is due to degradation of the old one.
As for the speaker time will tell.

OP
B

bkesting

Reaction score
The ifixit guide looks great. I see that there is a external speaker that can be purchased, does that make the issue any better? Or do I just clean the contacts and hope it gets better. (Or can I gently pry up on the contacts to make sure they make better contact with the speaker?)

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and information guys. I appreciate it!

I have no issue trying to disassemble the phone to get to the speaker. So do the metal contacts just need to be pryed up a little so they make better contact with the speaker? Also once that is done, how easy is it to reassemble the case back together and make sure everything sticks?

Thanks.

I'm no pro, but I had a cracked screen. I bought a damaged N/W phone on eBay, and used that screen to put on my phone.
I only had two problems.
1) The label/sticker on the top back. I was unable to get it off clean. Its back on, but there's a piece that separated. No big deal to me, and I have seen replacements online for $5-$10.
2) I prefer a naked phone. When I pried the cover off, I noticed a lot of dirt/lint in the seam. I should've vacuumed it as I was opening but didn't. All that debris got all over the double sided sticky stuff on the battery. Still not the biggest deal, and I was able to wipe most of the debris off with alcohol.
Attached is a pic of the other phone, and you can see the speaker on the right, and the place on the left where it seats, and the contacts.
Yes, if it were my phone, I would try bending them up gently to see if that's why it isn't working.
Also, I watched a YouTube video on disassembly first as a guide, and even though the video I watched was for a RAZR, not a Maxx, it helped.
P.S. the pic here may not be helpful since you can't zoom in, so pm me with your email address and I'll send you the picture.
As far as reassembly, all of the sticky stuff stayed very tacky so no problems...

Mike

ForumRunner_20130321_174200.png

OP
B

bkesting

Reaction score
I'm no pro, but I had a cracked screen. I bought a damaged N/W phone on eBay, and used that screen to put on my phone.
I only had two problems.
1) The label/sticker on the top back. I was unable to get it off clean. Its back on, but there's a piece that separated. No big deal to me, and I have seen replacements online for $5-$10.
2) I prefer a naked phone. When I pried the cover off, I noticed a lot of dirt/lint in the seam. I should've vacuumed it as I was opening but didn't. All that debris got all over the double sided sticky stuff on the battery. Still not the biggest deal, and I was able to wipe most of the debris off with alcohol.
Attached is a pic of the other phone, and you can see the speaker on the right, and the place on the left where it seats, and the contacts.
Yes, if it were my phone, I would try bending them up gently to see if that's why it isn't working.
Also, I watched a YouTube video on disassembly first as a guide, and even though the video I watched was for a RAZR, not a Maxx, it helped.
P.S. the pic here may not be helpful since you can't zoom in, so pm me with your email address and I'll send you the picture.
As far as reassembly, all of the sticky stuff stayed very tacky so no problems...

Mike

View attachment 61367

Picture zoomed perfectly. Thanks for the info!

OP
B

bkesting

Reaction score
I took the phone apart tonight after finally getting a hold of the proper torx screwdrivers. (BTW....all the guides say you need a T5 and T3 torx screwdrivers, I had to use a T5 and a T2).

When I got to the contacts where the speaker sits, I gently pried the contacts up a little bit, making it easier for the speaker to be able to touch them. Reassembled the phone and I now have sound again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Only damage I did was ruin the plastic cover that goes over the top screw and camera lens on the top back of the phone. I assume I can buy a replacement cover somewhere for that.

Thank you everyone for all your help on this thread.

moset

Reaction score
Sounds good, pun intended, hope the fix is permanent.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Superb!!
I saw the plastic covers (stick on) online for $6-$10.
Happy it helped... :)

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

ofcrlawless

Reaction score
If you zoom in on the speaker you will see the 2 brass contact points. If you pull the speaker out of the housing, flip it over and layer 3 small pieces of 2mm double sided sticky tape on the backside of where those contact points are, it will push the speaker into the contacts on the motherboard side to fix the issue.