Gesture Support Galaxy Watch 4 and 5

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most are probably familiar with the slide up , down and side to side gestures of Samsung watches but on the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 5 with their hybrid of Tizen like launcher and Android Wear integration there's even more reasons to not have to tap a button .
On some of the older Samsung watches and the Watch 4 Classic there was a physical rotating bezel . It seemed to be a real winner with owners of those models . For some reason Samsung opted for a digital bezel action where you run your finger along the edge of the watch to mimic a real bezel that quickly changes things . It is nowhere near as accurate but it does work for quickly changing tiles , scrolling your apps , or scrolling through notifications faster than a finger swipe .
Here's a few more gestures .
Answer a call . Bending twice quickly at the elbow does a decent job of answering the call when my right hand is busy and I can't use it to slide the call answer icon .
Reject a call or notification works by rotating your wrist twice . It might be the tension (or lack of ) of my band but this one it's frustratingly inaccurate for me but alas voice mail will eventually take over if I can't dismiss the call . Sometimes it's 27 layers of clothing and a pair of gloves at my wrist that keep me from reaching my watch .
My favorite is one I don't know how long has been there but I recently discovered it . It's called Quick Launch . It is especially handy if you have tilt to wake active because for about 5 seconds after the screen wakes you can turn your wrist up and down twice while making a fist and it'll launch whatever app you sign to it . I find Ultimate Alexa to be a hoot to twist my wrist to wake my watch , nod my wrist again , talk to my watch , voila my Echo light just came on plus to whatever color I chose or whatever command I want my Echo system to do . Another handy one would be the phone app or even Google Assistant , which I personally have setup with a double tap of the home button already .
Gestures is just another reason a smartwatch is now much more than a step tracker/phone butler/niche device .
Screenshot_20221222-215129_Galaxy Watch4 Manager.jpg
Screenshot_20221222-215158_Galaxy Watch4 Manager.jpg
Screenshot_20221222-215218_Galaxy Watch4 Manager.jpg

Darth Mode 10+

I know plenty of disappointment in the forums with the removal of rotating bezel ..

Something I discovered this morning , again don't know how long this has been there but , within an app if you slide from left to right it performs a back key function .

Darth Mode 10+

I know plenty of disappointment in the forums with the removal of rotating bezel ..
It's something I found kinda gimmicky , like the twisty knob on the Apple watch , that I would use a few times at most then end up ignoring it .
Though I'd not use it I wish they'd have kept it on at least 1 model for those that really enjoy the feature and it beats the snot out of the digital bezel they went with instead .

Darth Mode 10+

Last edited:
Back