Google Maps Update

pyro, uninstalling street.apk and Maps.apk from system/app, rebooting and then reinstalling the new Street View and Maps from the Market worked for me

I then moved both from data/app back to system/app and rebooted one more time

Have a question, what were the exact filenames you moved from data/app to system/app because there is no Street.apk and Maps.apk in data/app, only in system/app did it exist.

In data/app they are named differently, Maps.apk is com.googlemaps-1.apk (or something) and street.apk is com.googlestreetview.apk (or something) I moved both into system/app renamed them accordingly and then rebooted

Thanks tparker76, just what I thought. Maybe it might be a better idea to just delete the /system/app files and just leave the /data/app files there so if there is another update, you won't have to move the files as they will just get overwritten.

The one thing about this update I dont like, is that in the old version, you had the ability on regular maps to zoom up on a location until you hit street view. Now you can't do this. The closest zoom is now only a map view. This kinda sucks. I dont always want to use navigation in order to see a street view.

^ I haven't been able to zoom into street view for a couple updates now. Never bothered me much though, because I either check an address location or use navigate

Google Maps

Question. I am also having trouble installing the new update. I am running FROYO 2.2 but am not rooted. I looked at Titanium and it is for rooted phone. Astro will not let me delete the older versions. Any suggestions. Thanks!!!

Is google going to fix this install issue? I have a feeling most people wont want to muck around in all the folders doing renames and moves of system files.

The one thing about this update I dont like, is that in the old version, you had the ability on regular maps to zoom up on a location until you hit street view. Now you can't do this. The closest zoom is now only a map view. This kinda sucks. I dont always want to use navigation in order to see a street view.

Long press any location on the map, it will bring up an address balloon.

Press the address balloon.

Press the pegman icon.

You are now in street view. I think this is more convenient than having to zoom all the way in.

I was able to install the street view and the update with no problem. But when I long press on an area, the bubble appears but it only shows the address, none of the blue arrow and call icon on either side. Should I uninstall and reinstall it again? Thanks!

you have to add that part in the labs. Click more>labs

Labs > Check bubble buttons> still no icons.

Try doing it on a business, or someone from your contacts whom you have their address for

Back