I found a good video converter for the Droid...

KuddlKat

Reaction score
What settings were you using and how does the filesizes turn out with MediaCoder x64?

Burtonbell

Reaction score
I just wanted to say that first off, this is a great forum! New Motorola Droid owner for 1 week now and I am loving it.

DVDCatalyst, how do I know if I am running your program with the boosterpack? I downloaded it and I have 3.84.1Catalyst +. Is this correct?

D

dvdcatalyst

DVDCatalyst, how do I know if I am running your program with the boosterpack? I downloaded it and I have 3.84.1Catalyst +. Is this correct?

Thank you for using DVD Catalyst.

The + means you have the boosterpack enabled. You can verify this in Global Settings in the Boosterpack tab.

Dont forget to have a look at the android section on my website to get some additional quality/speed tips and such.

Burtonbell

Reaction score

The + means you have the boosterpack enabled. You can verify this in Global Settings in the Boosterpack tab.

Dont forget to have a look at the android section on my website to get some additional quality/speed tips and such.

Thanks for the quick reply! I used your free program to put Terminator Salvation and an episode of Family guy on my droid. I am very impressed, so I just bought the retail version now. About 4 minutes in to Terminator and I am over 20% done already. Nice and fast.

Thanks for the info & the great program! This will make traveling much more bearable.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks for the quick reply! I used your free program to put Terminator Salvation and an episode of Family guy on my droid. I am very impressed, so I just bought the retail version now. About 4 minutes in to Terminator and I am over 20% done already. Nice and fast.

Thanks for the info & the great program! This will make traveling much more bearable.

Thank you :)

Glad to hear you like it.

Did you have a look at the "Android" section on my web site?
I wrote a few articles specifically for Droid users, including some on how to speed up conversion times without loss of quality and such.

soulless

Reaction score
so why is it cropping my converted videos to 832x352?? That sucks.. In the settings, it's at the droid's default resolution...

D

dvdcatalyst

so why is it cropping my converted videos to 832x352?? That sucks.. In the settings, it's at the droid's default resolution...

Because DVDs are at a lower resolution that the Droid resolution.

DVD Catalyst does not UPSCALE by default. Upscaling is making the video bigger than the original video. For example, if your original video is 320×240, and you have a screensize selected of 640×480, the video will end up being 320×240. The reason for this is that UPSCALING REDUCES QUALITY. Its similar as making a picture bigger. All that it does is double each pixel in both width and height, so one pixel ends up being 4 pixels. For video conversion, this means that there are 4x as many pixels that need to have their information saved, so the quality (kbps) needs to be 4x as high, thus a file 4x bigger in size.

DVD to Verizon Droid | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
Update....I just realized that Dvd Catalyst has a preset for the droid.....and will convert .flv files = awesome

This software is FAST too....bye bye to the 4 or 5 different video converter programs on my computer.

Ur making me think I have the wrong settings on DVD Catalyst because It takes about 45 to 50 minutes to convert one simple movie on my computer. And thats just ripping it on the regular (non-HD) setting.

soulless

Reaction score

Because DVDs are at a lower resolution that the Droid resolution.

DVD Catalyst does not UPSCALE by default. Upscaling is making the video bigger than the original video. For example, if your original video is 320×240, and you have a screensize selected of 640×480, the video will end up being 320×240. The reason for this is that UPSCALING REDUCES QUALITY. Its similar as making a picture bigger. All that it does is double each pixel in both width and height, so one pixel ends up being 4 pixels. For video conversion, this means that there are 4x as many pixels that need to have their information saved, so the quality (kbps) needs to be 4x as high, thus a file 4x bigger in size.
DVD to Verizon Droid | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

thanks a lot. awesome program. i'm gonna grab it.. i usually do not pay for software, but this one deserved it.. 10 stars!!!

is there anyway to upscale it though? i would like the movie to fill up my whole screen even if the size is better

D

dvdcatalyst

Ur making me think I have the wrong settings on DVD Catalyst because It takes about 45 to 50 minutes to convert one simple movie on my computer. And thats just ripping it on the regular (non-HD) setting.

Its not just copying the movie over, its changing the video format which takes time.
some converters take 4-8 hours to do the exact same format conversion

If you visit the android section on the website you can find some additional tips on speeding up your conversion.

thanks a lot. awesome program. i'm gonna grab it.. i usually do not pay for software, but this one deserved it.. 10 stars!!!

is there anyway to upscale it though? i would like the movie to fill up my whole screen even if the size is better

Upscaling is different than what you are refering to. For full-screen movies, just change the black bar removal option in Global Settings > Conversion to "Remove black bars from device"

If you have a look at the movie trailer thread on this forum, it will give you a few examples of how it works and what the results are :)

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
Its not just copying the movie over, its changing the video format which takes time.
some converters take 4-8 hours to do the exact same format conversion

If you visit the android section on the website you can find some additional tips on speeding up your conversion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang I had no idea some still took that long, that wouldn't even be worth it if it took 4-8 hours, thanx

D

dvdcatalyst

Dang I had no idea some still took that long, that wouldn't even be worth it if it took 4-8 hours, thanx

Faster computers (dual/quad core etc) do the conversion faster, but for DVD to Droid, it's converting MPEG2 video with 5 (or more) channels of audio to H264 video with 2 channels (stereo) audio. H264 video itself is currently the best video format, which means its converting it at very high quality.

Think of it as compressing something with winzip/winrar/7zip. A DVD movie is 4.5 or 8GB in size, and I dont think there would be many people who would like to be able to ONLY fit 2 movies on their 16GB memorycard. After conversion, the videos look the same as the DVD, but instead of the huge filesize, they are a lot smaller in size (default Droid profile creates video files of around 800-900 MB)

rebel43

Reaction score
Problem with DVD Ejecting

I just purchased DVDCatalyst a couple of days ago and when I tried to convert the 1st DVD it would get to the point where it showed conversion started and then the DVD would eject. It repeatadly did this on multiple DVDs. I did get one to convert and the result was very good but I need to know if this is a common problem. This laptop is brand new with Windows 7. Also, when I mounted the Droid and copied the output file to the Gallery it appears to have 2 copies of the movie. Any idea why? I also tried the email link to dvdcatalyst and it was kicked back.

D

dvdcatalyst

From your other thread :)

Please just post the same issue once so I do not have to reply to the same post in different threads. You can always send me an email directly, using the "Email Us" link in the program

Thank you for the fast reply. Windows Media Player starts automatically when I insert the DVD but I am pretty sure I closed that out. I will keep working with it when I get back home. I will say that I had tried a few other program when I had my BB Curve and they were all difficult to use. As long as I can solve this eject problem I will be very happy with your program. Kingdom of Heaven converted in about 25 minutes so I am ready for the next NC to California flight. Should I be using the Droid or Droid HD conversion settings?

You are welcome,
Sending me an email is easier, but I have a few threads that I am subscribed to that notify me, and of course I check the forums (when I am awake) every other hour or so.

Anyway, there are a few things that could cause the behavior, but those usually result in partial conversions, so it is something else that could be causing it.
You can try turning off cropping (global settings > borders) and see if that helps. I ran into an issue today when I was making a step by step video for youtube ( link )
I was converting Return of the Jedi, and after the black bar removal it did the same as what you experienced. I restarted 5 more times, but I could not replicate the problem again. the 5 times worked fine. I will look into it a bit more.

edit:

The problem is uncommon. While a few people have reported issues that are fairly similar, those ended up being hardware related. Using a different DVD drive usually fixed the problem.

The 2 file or multiple file issue you mentioned is explained in the faq

Q: Why does DVD Catalyst list more than just the movie?
A: DVD Catalyst looks for all the content on a DVD, and then shows anything that is longer than 10 minutes (Adjustable in Global Settings > DVD) It filters out trailers and most special features, however, if there are special features that are longer than the 10 minutes, it will show them. The reason for this is to make it easier to convert TV DVDs. Most conversion tools force you to convert one item at a time, so for a TV DVD, you have to start the conversion 4-6 times on the same DVD. With DVD Catalyst all the episodes get converted with 1 click. You can enable “Movie/Episode recognition in Global Settings > DVD which tells DVD Catalyst to enable/disable certain DVD tracks for you (you can always enable them again after scanning).
It is also possible you enabled Multi-Device, which is explained here:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/02/dvd-catalyst-3-multi-device-conversions/

Last edited by a moderator: