I got Unlimited Data back on one of my new lines!

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Short story:

My Mom's line is up for an upgrade. I had unlimited data on it, but when we had to switch her phone, the data wasn't needed. So it was taken off.

Now I upgraded my mom's line to a Galaxy Nexus and asked about the data plan. At first it was just a regular 2GB plan, but I asked about it, and since I had unlimited data on it before, the lady who was helping me put the unlimited data plan back!

Very happy about it.

EDIT: I guess its not a new line, but a current line.

Awesome! That's good news! :biggrin:

Yeah, they did the same thing for my daughter's line. I upgraded in September (after they dropped the unlimited plans), but they gave it to me since my other 4 lines on my family plan were all unlimited. Then, she broke the D1 within a week, and I downgraded it to a feature phone (since that's what we had laying around the house). Then she lost that, and waited a few months with no phone til I got the Nexus, and in the phone swapping around the house she ended up with my old DX. They bumped it back up to an unlimited plan from the feature phone plan. So I was pretty happy about it as well.

I think if you have a family plan with a line that wasn't unlimited but the rest are, they'll do it every time. It would make the bills very difficult to keep sorted out and not sure their system could even handle it (since they seem to do it without any hassle).

Very cool!! Enjoy that unlimited DancingNexus

Did you call Verizon customer service and request the data discount they're offering, if you're on the 1400 min family share plan with texting?

Yeah, they did the same thing for my daughter's line. I upgraded in September (after they dropped the unlimited plans), but they gave it to me since my other 4 lines on my family plan were all unlimited. Then, she broke the D1 within a week, and I downgraded it to a feature phone (since that's what we had laying around the house). Then she lost that, and waited a few months with no phone til I got the Nexus, and in the phone swapping around the house she ended up with my old DX. They bumped it back up to an unlimited plan from the feature phone plan. So I was pretty happy about it as well.

I think if you have a family plan with a line that wasn't unlimited but the rest are, they'll do it every time. It would make the bills very difficult to keep sorted out and not sure their system could even handle it (since they seem to do it without any hassle).

Wish they would have done that for me. I have 4 smart phones and only two are unlimited.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Wish they would have done that for me. I have 4 smart phones and only two are unlimited.

And the other two have data plans (and not feature phone plans)? And did you whine when you upgraded them? I definitely did a little whining about how difficult it would be to keep track of 1 of my 5 lines and how much nicer it would be if they were all just unlimited, and the verizon rep came back a minute later and gave it to me. So you might try calling and whining a bit about how difficult it is to monitor those two lines and is there ANY WAY you could get them grandfathered in to unlimited data. With 4 lines on your plan I bet they'd cave in.

And the other two have data plans (and not feature phone plans)? And did you whine when you upgraded them? I definitely did a little whining about how difficult it would be to keep track of 1 of my 5 lines and how much nicer it would be if they were all just unlimited, and the verizon rep came back a minute later and gave it to me. So you might try calling and whining a bit about how difficult it is to monitor those two lines and is there ANY WAY you could get them grandfathered in to unlimited data. With 4 lines on your plan I bet they'd cave in.

Yeah, I probably could push for since I have been a customer for like 8 years but I only asked once in the beginning and they said no. I am the kind of person that doesn't argue because I knew in advance they were getting rid of unlimited plans so if I wanted to I could have jumped in before they were gone.

what is this discount you speak of?

If you are on a family plan with at least 1400 minutes, call Verizon and talk to the loyalty department. They will discount each line you have with a data plan by $9.99.

It is a promotion they are only offering until March but the discount will be taken off your bill for one year.

There have been some that had to call more than once because some reps seem lost.

They probably will. That is if the two smart phones that have limited data weren't added after unlimited data was terminated. If those two lines had unlimited at one point, then I'd be checking into it.

Yeah no surprise from what a Verizon employee told me, "unlimited follows the phone number, and as long as you have an active account, you can always get the unlimited data, once you cancel your account/line it is gone forever"

They probably will. That is if the two smart phones that have limited data weren't added after unlimited data was terminated. If those two lines had unlimited at one point, then I'd be checking into it.

No the lines have been active but they were just regular dumb phones. The smart phones and data plans were added after the unlimited plans were no longer offered. That's why I haven't worried about it but it sure would be nice.

No the lines have been active but they were just regular dumb phones. The smart phones and data plans were added after the unlimited plans were no longer offered. That's why I haven't worried about it but it sure would be nice.

Gotchya. You're just wishing for something that's impossible...haha Just when you said "I wish they would do that for me" implied that you were eligible. His situation much different than yours. Obviously.

Gotchya. You're just wishing for something that's impossible...haha Just when you said "I wish they would do that for me" implied that you were eligible. His situation much different than yours. Obviously.

Actually his situation was the exact same. In his post he said that he didn't get his daughter a smart phone until September (well after unlimited was stopped) and they gave him unlimited anyway since his other lines were unlimited. I got my daughter a smart phone in August but they weren't as nice to me.

Back