It's official, Xoom bootloader is NOT encrypted

kaylward

Reaction score
From the Motorola Xoom support forum manager Matt.

Q: Does the XOOM have the eFuse or similar locking mechanism similar to the DroidX or is it more open like the original Droid.

A: The XOOM will have an unlockable/relockable bootloader that will enable developers to access hardware for development.

XDA has a good writeup on the difference between encrypted bootloaders and locked bootloaders. A locked bootloader, presumably can be cracked and hacked - an encrypted bootloader would mean you're S.O.L. for custom ROM's on the Xoom.

Some people had been waiting on that detail to make a final decision on the device...

Last edited:
Im not sure Im understanding the whole unlockable/lockable bootloader. Is this going to be a Dev thing only, like Moto sells the key to Devs or is this going to be available to all of the hacking community. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

As far as I heard it was a Pure Google Device from day one -

As far as I heard it was a Pure Google Device from day one -

Im taking that to mean like the OG Droid, completely hackable? Thats awesome and makes the price even more bearable.

This has made me a HELL of a lot more likely to buy one with the $799 price tag. Maybe there is some hope for Motorola after all!

Back