Just rooted, don't know what's next

papatar

Reaction score
I had rooted my OG droid just to see if i could, but never did too much with it. Last night i rooted my nexus and would like to actually have some fun with it this time. The problem i have is knowing where to start and how to flash things. I did a few different themes on my OG but honestly don't really remember much of the sequence. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

pool_shark

Reaction score
Go to the root and ROM section on this forum and others. They have everything you'll need.
The Nexus is my 3rd Android phone. I rooted all of them but this is the first one that I applied a ROM.
I learned it all from reading, did not have to ask a single question.

HikenGruven

Reaction score
Pool_Shark is right on. I'm still somewhat a novice with this, but just about every question about there has been answered. So do a good search first.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had rooted my OG droid just to see if i could, but never did too much with it. Last night i rooted my nexus and would like to actually have some fun with it this time. The problem i have is knowing where to start and how to flash things. I did a few different themes on my OG but honestly don't really remember much of the sequence. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Install this app and it will auto-flash a very, very stable custom recovery that uses the touch screen or scroll buttons: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=cwmr&c=apps

Then make a nandroid backup prior to making any other changes.

Once you have that backup you can start flashing roms, kernels and theme. Just be sure to follow the developers instructions for each type of install. Then absolutely stick to the regimen of doing a full backup prior to making any new changes. That will give you the ability to recovery from a bad installation or if you just change your mind about the most recent installation.

BTW, you can use Root Explorer (or almost any File Manager app) to go to sdcard/clockworkmod/backup to rename the backups to something relevant. Just be sure to use no spaces or special characters in the new name. You can use a dash or an underline character instead of a space.

There are many, many roms right now and kernels to choose from. You can try them all - have fun.

Before you get too far into this thing, take the time now to setup you computer with one of the full recovery systems that are out there. I used this one, but there are others and you never know when you will need it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

Good luck and have fun!