MIUI Alphabetized Icons

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A major flaw of the MIUI interface, is that you cannot auto arrange the icons that are installed on each screen. Application icons seem to appear at random. In the past, I would just install Launcher Pro or ADW on top of MIUI to cope, but since the new release of MIUI I have found three alternative methods to deal with the MADNESS.

A "NEW" FEATURE OF MIUI FOLDERS IS THE ABILITY TO ARRANGE ICONS ALPHABETICALLY

1. If you place all your icons in a folder, you can edit the settings and select "Sort by app name". This will arrange your icons alphabetically. Move the icons back out if you like, or just keep them in the folder.

*** Then as an added bonus, you can create an app draw by moving your folder to the bottom tray if you like for easy access!

I've been informed that this feature was in place in earlier releases of MIUI, but that I just didn't know about it (I was using Launcher Pro at the time).

BACKUP ALL YOUR APPLICATIONS USING MIUI BACKUP, MY BACKUP PRO OR TITANIUM, UNINSTALL THEM ALL, THEN RESTORE THEM AGAIN

1. If you uninstall all your application, and restore them using a method described above, your icons will be arranged alphabetically. Of course, this will only work for restored icons, not for new icons created when new apps are installed, nor will it remove gaps when applications are removed.

USE THE KEYWORD SEARCH WIDGET TO FIND YOUR APPLICATIONS FOR YOU

1. This is a neat feature; just typing in something, and have your phone find it for you by showing you a list of possible matches (similar to searching on the Google website). I didn't know this feature existed, but now that I do, I will be using it more often.

I hope this helps some of the previous fans of MIUI who left because of a lack of these features, and future converts who wanted to come to MIUI, but didn't want the chaos.

Last edited:

gwhiz377

Reaction score
Uhh that's been a feature on the MIUI folders for a while. Ever since I moved to MIUI(back in Nov or Dec) it's been there.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's cool. I'd been using Launcher Pro or ADW on top of MIUI ever since it was ported over, so I was unaware. I just recently decided to try and use the MIUI...UI again. I was pleasantly surprised by the "new" options.

My post was for information purposes only, and not trying to tell anyone anything that they didn't already know. :)

gwhiz377

Reaction score
It is a cool feature and one of the reasons I like MIUI so much. Didn't like the thought of no app drawer at first until I saw how great the folders are. I really have no need for an app drawer now.

frostthejack

Reaction score
Its not random it places them in order of installation so if you move one icon into a folder the next time you install something it doesn't fill that hole it goes where it would if you never moved any icons

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App