More gmail problems

bcushman

Reaction score
I changed my password on the web site - but when I try to update my password on my Rezound I get the "warning 401 Unauthorized". I get email fine on my computer account. When I try to download gmail mesages on the phone I get "log in failed" but if I check the gmail under applications the message is there. Also, I cant figure out how to log in to my account on the phone so that I can enter my new passwod. I tried deleting the account but don't wan't to do a factory reset. My verizon.net mail comes through fine.

Did you get this solved yet? Did you change your gmail password under accounts & sync in settings? If that causes the error you mentioned, remove the gmail account and add it back. Maybe clear data on the gmail app in settings -> applications

Did you get this solved yet? Did you change your gmail password under accounts & sync in settings? If that causes the error you mentioned, remove the gmail account and add it back. Maybe clear data on the gmail app in settings -> applications

Thanks much for your reply.

Situation still the same. I receive emails by checking "All applications, Gmail". But when I try checking the Gmail account in the mail program and try to refresh Gmail get the error :Login failed". When I go to "Account settings" and "edit account" enter the passsword, and click "finish" get the warning "401 Unauthorized". When I go to delete it, it says "this account will be deleted, and when I check OK get the warning "401-1: Unauthorized" When I try to remove the application I cleared the data but can't remove the application itsself. It gives me the option of force stop and uninstall updates. Version of Gmail is 2.3.6

This is driving me crazy!! :mad:

Ok, I'm slightly confused. Are you using the Gmail app or the email app to check your gmail? If you're using the gmail app, open the settings application. Go under accounts and sync. Click the "Google" account that's listed and remove it. Then add the account back. If you added your gmail account during the initial phone setup then it got setup in the stock email app as well. Clear data on the "Email" app in applications and if I understand you correctly, You'll need to re-add any other accounts back, but that should get you to where you want to be.

Ok, I'm slightly confused. Are you using the Gmail app or the email app to check your gmail? If you're using the gmail app, open the settings application. Go under accounts and sync. Click the "Google" account that's listed and remove it. Then add the account back. If you added your gmail account during the initial phone setup then it got setup in the stock email app as well. Clear data on the "Email" app in applications and if I understand you correctly, You'll need to re-add any other accounts back, but that should get you to where you want to be.

I am using my "MAIL" account with two accounts, Verizon and Gmail (which was setup during my initial setup). I went into accounts & sync, clicked the Google account (showing my gmail address underneath) and clicked remove. After asking if I wanted to remove it and clicking OK, it says that it is being used by other applications and a factory reset is required. I then checked the applications and under MAIL (no EMAIL listed) and it brings up "all accounts" but I cant find how to clear the data.

Please don't give up on me!!:icon_eek:

Ha, I never give up. I'm attaching a screenshot of my "Email" app screen. Does yours not look like this?

I have the screen but it shows "force stop" and "about" highlighted above cancel (which is not highlighted).Nothing else is highlighted. My version is 4.5.2122332410.238988. I am unable to clear data since it is not highlighted. But I think I am about to give up - I have added the gmail app icon to my home page and it works fine - it still shows up as an account on my mail account along with Verizon, but I will ignore it and just use both apps to check mail. But the question still remains why I can't get the same page you do. You don't know how much i appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

I actually sat down and thought about this for a few. I can't think of any good reason that you shouldn't be able to delete an account from the email app. Maybe reset your gmail password back to what it was and see if the mail app allows you to remove it then..??

I actually sat down and thought about this for a few. I can't think of any good reason that you shouldn't be able to delete an account from the email app. Maybe reset your gmail password back to what it was and see if the mail app allows you to remove it then..??

Tried changing the password back to the old one and no change. When I try to delete the account I still get the "401-1 unauthorized". When I go into the stock mail settings and select gmail it goes straight to "edit account" where I try to update my password with the same error msg "401 unauthorized". When I refresh the gmail it says login failed. But I can't find anyway to log out and then log back in (using my UPDATED pasword). As i said previously, the gmail application works fine so if I can't combine the two accounts on the mail application I will look ino the gmail push mailserver that BayoutFlyFisher kindly furnished.

Yours is a weird problem. I've used the Gmail app for all my mail accounts for over two years now. I find it to be a vastly superior app to the native email app.

Here's a link: Using Gmail as your own personal push mail server

Good luck.

OK - my FINAL reply on this matter! Thanks to you I did as you suggested and have combined both accounts in gmail and it is working perfectly. The only thing I don't like is the fact that you can't delete all emails at once. But checking it out found that it is not an option at this time on the phone altho you can do ir of course on the web program. Hopefully now that I have deleted all old email my sync set to 4 days will cut down on the amount of mnail. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
I found this thread while trying to end my own frustration. I want to use the htc mail because its nicer to look at. I tried all of the listed suggestions with zero success. I used the Gmail app on my incredible. So its not a big deal. Just saying that you are not alone

Hi bcushman, did you find a solution to the problem? i have the same problem on incredible II phone.

i can't delete, modify or add any email account using the "mail" app, factory reset is the what the phone is asking to do :(

I have the same problem with HTC Rezound. I added a second gmail account to my phone - not the primary gmail account for the phone, but an additional account. It won't automatically sync using the MAIL app, although it seemed to work on the first day I set up the phone. Now the only way I can get it to synch with MAIL is to go into general phone Settings > Accounts & Sync, select this account, and tell it to Sync Now. Then it will deliver email messages to the MAIL app. (I don't have an app named EMAIL - just MAIL and GMAIL.)

It's getting a Login Failed error within the MAIL application itself. When I try to fix it, I get the 401- not authorized message. When I try to delete the account from my phone entirely, the message says I cannot delete it without doing a hard reset because the account is required by some applications. I don't understand why that would happen, though, because this isn't the primary gmail account on the phone.

I already tried clearing the cache and removing the email account from Verizon's backup assistant, but the problem still exists. I just added this secondary gmail account to the GMAIL app and it syncs just fine. So I guess I'll have to use two email apps like the earlier poster in this thread. I don't like that option because the MAIL app is easier for me to use than the GMAIL app.

If anyone has an suggestions other than a hard reset, I would love to hear them.

Same problem. My mail app has never worked right. I have to use a gmail app. It says login failed

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Back