MP3 as Google Voice Greeting

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
There has to be a way to use a MP3 file as a Google Voice Greeting, obviously it has not yet been implemented by the Google Team but there is always a work around, I am wondering if anyone has figured this out yet

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It looks like this used to be possible with Gizmo5 which has been acquired by Google and new user sign-up has been cancelled

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I just play the MP3 on my computer and record it with the phone when adding the google voice greeting. Sound quality is OK.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for MP3 quality, it sounds pretty choppy through the phone speaker

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think what I did was put the phone on speakerphone when recording and try different distances from the speaker playing the music. Don't play the music too loud.

Also try without speakerphone too, I guess.

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also read that this was possible if you have a Skype number, but a Skype number costs money and I am not willing to pay just to have this feature

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
I am uploading a YouTube tutorial on how to do it. What you need is the following:

Google Voice
Audio File for Playback
A device that can be connected to the line out jack on your pc/ laptop
Google Talk
Google Voice and Video Chat Plugin
3.5 mm male to male connector

**EDIT** The connector may cost you a couple dollars at radioshack

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good, because I have almost given up on this simple idea

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
[video=youtube;Un5C7-CJtLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un5C7-CJtLg[/video]

I used the Old Spice VoiceMail Generator as this is what prompted me to do so

OPTIMUS124

Reaction score
No Problem. This will have to do until they add an upload feature. It's like reaching around your back to scratch your elbow, but its not too bad. Besides, how often do you change VM greetings anyway LOL

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
No Problem. This will have to do until they add an upload feature. It's like reaching around your back to scratch your elbow, but its not too bad. Besides, how often do you change VM greetings anyway LOL
It worked beautifully....I put the K-Swiss Tubes with Urijah Faber Audio as a Greeting for a friend...what was the audio clip you had on your video ?

EuropeBound

Reaction score
hey Optimus,

i have an mp3 that i want for my google voice VM. I watched your youtube video a few times, but can't seem to get this to work.

in the tutorial you mentioned something about using your droid. how are you using it to do this?

also at the beginning you mentioned you are using a hardware device. what are you using?

the only thing i have is a set of headphones that has a mic attached to it. it has a microphone plug-in and a headphone plugin.

could you please advise.

thanks.