Nearby Services running up Wifi data by hundreds of MB and slowing Gallery

bbtkd

Reaction score
All - I noted that when I went into Gallery, it was extremely slow, often taking 30-60 seconds to complete operations. I only have three folders and only about a dozen pictures. Also noted that after this sluggishness, the process called Neraby Services had used hundreds of megabytes of network data. Luckily it has only done this on Wifi, as I suspect Nearby Services is restricted to Wifi. When I started this post, I was going to ask what was going on - but it occurred to me that this just started in the last 3 weeks - and I had recorded a 10 minute video about 3 weeks ago. I didn't need it, so just deleted it and now the sluggishness in Gallery is gone (but later came back) and it isn't running up Wifi usage. What was going on - was it trying to send that video someplace? Under Nearby Devices settings, I had tried turning off file sharing and also unchecked all of the filetypes to share - but it still happened after that. Thoughts?

TatDroid

Reaction score
Are your settings configured to automatically upload all pictures and videos to the cloud (used to be Picassa, now Google+)?

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Are your settings configured to automatically upload all pictures and videos to the cloud (used to be Picassa, now Google+)?

I don't think so as I don't use Google+. I looked around in settings and didn't see anything for that - where are those settings?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think so as I don't use Google+. I looked around in settings and didn't see anything for that - where are those settings?

Look in your account and sync settings, Google account settings.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Look in your account and sync settings, Google account settings.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

I click on Google+ and it says I'm not signed on - good since I haven't signed up for it. Under Google sync, everything is checked. Still not sure this is what was happening since from what I read about Nearby Services/Devices, Google or Google syncing shouldn't be using that.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I click on Google+ and it says I'm not signed on - good since I haven't signed up for it. Under Google sync, everything is checked. Still not sure this is what was happening since from what I read about Nearby Services/Devices, Google or Google syncing shouldn't be using that.

Even though you're not signed in it'll still sync the things checked. I don't even have a Picasa account set up but my Tab started trying to sync to it when its firmware was first upgraded to ICS. Google combined everything into 1 last year and even though separate they still try to act as 1 is the best way I can describe it.
Also Verizon old backup assistant, whatever it's called now, will also be set to sync by default unless you disable it.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Well - tracked it down further since it was still occurring, though much better without that big video. I found that the problem only occurs when I am on my home Wifi, but not on another Wifi I use or on 3G/4G. So - it has to be something on my home network. I first unplugged my Roku and that wasn't it, then disabled a media service on my DISH Hopper, to no avail. I narrowed it down to my Canon printer which has in the past babbled on my net offering to print pictures or a PC I use which runs Plex to serve up movies to my Roku. Using OS Monitor to look at traffic, I see my Plex server PC talking to my S4 so that's probably it. This should not be happening since I've disabled Nearby Services in the settings, but that's still what is using Wifi data. I need to find a way to block my media server from talking to my S4.

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
OK - think I have it solved. On the Plex server software, I had to disable DLNA services. Now going into gallery on my S4 does not bog down and cause Nearby Services to run up Wifi usage.

Alextodd

Reaction score
OK - think I have it solved. On the Plex server software, I had to disable DLNA services. Now going into gallery on my S4 does not bog down and cause Nearby Services to run up Wifi usage.

BBTKD, can you guide me regarding that too? However my S4 lags when i enter in my messages section or when i start any app, however i have only installed few of them that totals not more than 2GB. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
BBTKD, can you guide me regarding that too? However my S4 lags when i enter in my messages section or when i start any app, however i have only installed few of them that totals not more than 2GB. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

It doesn't sound like the same issue. To figure out what is going on with your phone, you'll need a few apps. I use "3G Watchdog Pro", "OS Monitor", "SystemPanelLite", "GSam Battery Monitor Pro" and other tools. Most of these are available in free and pay versions. 3G Watchdog and OS Monitor are the most important in figuring out issues. You first need to figure out what resource is slowing down your phone. OS Monitor is best for spotting CPU hogs, and can also show memory and other resource usage. 3G watchdog (also works for 4G) is crucial for identifying network use, whether Wifi or 3G/4G, and can show which apps are using too much bandwidth.

In my case, slowdown only happened in Gallery and only when on my home network via Wifi. 3G watchdog showed that every time I went into Gallery and experienced the sluggishness, Nearby Services received hundreds of megabytes, and as soon as I exited Gallery it stopped. I tried disabling Nearby Services to no avail, so perhaps that only disables outbound DLNA server. Figuring it was talking to some system on my local net, I used OS Monitor to show recent connections just after exiting Gallery. It showed a connection to my media PC running Plex server, serving movies to systems on my network. I went into Plex server on my PC to check settings, and found one to disable DLNA server. I checked that, restarted Plex, and the problem went away on my S4. I believe that when my S4 went into Gallery, it caused Nearby Services to listen for a local DLNA server on my LAN, and when it "hooked up" with it, my Plex server tried uploading the most recent movie I watched. Since I never stayed in Gallery long enough, it never completed the transfer which probably would have been several GB.

Alextodd

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like the same issue. To figure out what is going on with your phone, you'll need a few apps. I use "3G Watchdog Pro", "OS Monitor", "SystemPanelLite", "GSam Battery Monitor Pro" and other tools. Most of these are available in free and pay versions. 3G Watchdog and OS Monitor are the most important in figuring out issues. You first need to figure out what resource is slowing down your phone. OS Monitor is best for spotting CPU hogs, and can also show memory and other resource usage. 3G watchdog (also works for 4G) is crucial for identifying network use, whether Wifi or 3G/4G, and can show which apps are using too much bandwidth.

In my case, slowdown only happened in Gallery and only when on my home network via Wifi. 3G watchdog showed that every time I went into Gallery and experienced the sluggishness, Nearby Services received hundreds of megabytes, and as soon as I exited Gallery it stopped. I tried disabling Nearby Services to no avail, so perhaps that only disables outbound DLNA server. Figuring it was talking to some system on my local net, I used OS Monitor to show recent connections just after exiting Gallery. It showed a connection to my media PC running Plex server, serving movies to systems on my network. I went into Plex server on my PC to check settings, and found one to disable DLNA server. I checked that, restarted Plex, and the problem went away on my S4. I believe that when my S4 went into Gallery, it caused Nearby Services to listen for a local DLNA server on my LAN, and when it "hooked up" with it, my Plex server tried uploading the most recent movie I watched. Since I never stayed in Gallery long enough, it never completed the transfer which probably would have been several GB.

Thanks a Ton BBTKD! :) and thanks for sharing your experience. I have downloaded OS Monitor and it worked like a charm, but didn't gave much of assistance, however when i restarted my phone it becomes lag free, like a restart was all that is needed. However after 2 to 3 days i need to restart it in order to make it lag free, as this lagging problem occurs after every few days. I am feeling like that I am treating cancer with a Pain Killer.

TvVoice

Reaction score
Thanks a Ton BBTKD! :) and thanks for sharing your experience. I have downloaded OS Monitor and it worked like a charm, but didn't gave much of assistance, however when i restarted my phone it becomes lag free, like a restart was all that is needed. However after 2 to 3 days i need to restart it in order to make it lag free, as this lagging problem occurs after every few days. I am feeling like that I am treating cancer with a Pain Killer.

It may be Factory Data Reset time for you. You can then start out fresh and new.

ripper2020

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 3

I've been searching all day for this solution! It's ridiculous that this issue has been around this long and samsung has not fixed it! I've found posts dating back to 2012 with various samsung phones.
I wish there was a solution on the phone...oh well. Thanks for your investigation.

Larry Kennedy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
571-969-3880

Really appreciate you posting this. I had exactly the same issue with my Plex server and Android gallery. Your solution worked for me.