New Firmware?

ezrollin

Reaction score
Will us Droid X users be getting the new Android firmware... like "Ice Cream Sandwich"?
or another firmware name?
Around when will it come out?
I realize all of this is just speculative I just cant wait to see it fix everybodys compatibility/programming problems!
(like mine shuts off and alot of other stuff..)

Dude now that the Droid x² has came out I highly doubt that x users that don't root their phones will ever see ice cream, much less any other versions. The original X will prob be discontinued by the time ice cream sandwich drops.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

But I'd count on a ice cream rom for the X. I just got vanilla gingerbread on my fascinate and I think my phones been discontinued. Hell the stock users just got froyo. Roots the way to go.

Is ice cream sandwich 2.4?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Its either 2.4 or 4.0

I'd just be happy if they would fix the current one and get rid of all the bugs. Each time we get a new version it gets worse. Even Microsoft Windows does a better job then that.

ya my phone has the RRoD and the BSoD at the same time and its a Motoroler not a M$ :blink:

I think this recent Gingerbread update will be the last major official OS update we DX users will see. The phone already hit EOL back in March so I'd be very surprised to see any further updates. Just my opinion.

Yea I would like a new Ginger bread update that got rid of all the bugs

You guys will prob. get updates to fix some bugs but a upgrade to newer firmware for the X is unlikely. And a little tip. Try a factory reset. Updateing the firmware on your phone with all your old apps installed can lead to bugs. Same thing happened when some galaxy s users got froyo. Factory reset cleared it right up.

can you help a brother out by giving advice on how we should go about backing up all of our files/settings/configurations/etc cause when we do a factory reset we will loose everything (even root) right? thanks

Do I have to do it through an SDK or something?

and whats the best rom? would you advise installing it (if we already have gingerbread and root already)?

You shouldn't lose root when factory resetting your phone. You can't back up settings as far as I know. So I'd write those down. Nothing but the app data will be deleted off the SD card. So your music, videos, pics, etc will be fine. I don't back up my data when doing a factory reset, but I've heard titanium backup works well. I think it costs money tho. I would just factory reset it and then I'd reinstall all of my apps.
But if you're rooted this prob isn't a good idea. Factory restoring is for people who are unrooted and upgrade their firmware thru a update without factory resetting. The old apps were installed on the old firmware and might cause problems in the new firmware. But if you're rooted you should have reset your phone before you flashed the new rom.

So don't reset you phone if your rooted. I'm running JTs vanilla gingerbread rom. Its great. But if only for certain galaxy s phones. So I can't recommend a rom to you. Sorry. I've seen peoples phones glitch and reboot b/c of not factory resetting between froyo and gingerbread or enclair and froyo.

Back