Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

JoeK

Reaction score
Thanks a million

Mr. Doid rules the air. Thank you for your help. I was afraid that my wife bricked a new phone. She wanted launcher pro and deleted touch wiz before she loaded launcher pro. I am not sure how she did it, but now everything is better. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

sprke81

Reaction score
Ok just to be clear..to unroot my phone all I have to do is a factory reset? I'm getting ready to tackle this but I'm very likely going to return it after a few days unless root can solve some of my issues with it.

jspidah

Reaction score
Hi. i followed Dirrk's guide all the way through.

Saw Success in the cmd and it CTRL + C to end the thing.

Rebooted, saw Superuser Permissions in my App Drawer.

Had Titanium Backup and ROM Manager already installed, tried to run TiBu and it said I wasn't rooted. Tried ROM Manager, said the same thing.

Downloaded Busybox, said I wasn't rooted. Uninstalled TiBu and then reinstalled it, said I wasn't rooted. Had TiBu redownload Busybox, said I wasn't rooted.

Looked on my SD card, there's a busybox and an su in there now.

What gives, here? Did i screw something up? How can I undo this and start over if I did?

sprke81

Reaction score
I know I'm a big time noob but after I type in 'adb shell' the first time in the tutorial the cursor just moves down and blinks not allowing to enter in commands or anything. This is right after pushing the rageagainstthecage file in section 2. What am I doing wrong?

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
Ok just to be clear..to unroot my phone all I have to do is a factory reset? I'm getting ready to tackle this but I'm very likely going to return it after a few days unless root can solve some of my issues with it.

Yea a factory reset will get rid of the installed Superuser.apk and the su, busybox. What issues are you having?

I know I'm a big time noob but after I type in 'adb shell' the first time in the tutorial the cursor just moves down and blinks not allowing to enter in commands or anything. This is right after pushing the rageagainstthecage file in section 2. What am I doing wrong?

So you're able to successfully push the file to the phone?
Once you do that try a
Code:
adb devices
and make sure you still have a good connection to the phone.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
Hi. i followed Dirrk's guide all the way through.

Saw Success in the cmd and it CTRL + C to end the thing.

Rebooted, saw Superuser Permissions in my App Drawer.

Had Titanium Backup and ROM Manager already installed, tried to run TiBu and it said I wasn't rooted. Tried ROM Manager, said the same thing.

Downloaded Busybox, said I wasn't rooted. Uninstalled TiBu and then reinstalled it, said I wasn't rooted. Had TiBu redownload Busybox, said I wasn't rooted.

Looked on my SD card, there's a busybox and an su in there now.

What gives, here? Did i screw something up? How can I undo this and start over if I did?

Someone else may have a better solution than this... but the only way I figured out how to get rid of Superuser was to do a factory reset. Chances are when you installed Superuser.apk you didn't have a successful temp root setup.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Two suggestions.

I added 5 main sections to the actual rooting portion of the guide. That should help narrow it down when someone has a question on which section.

You could use a batch file... but doing so for users that are new to this would require a lot of error handling and output and it is just easier to deal with issues if the user can just see each command and see if 1 single command throws an error.

The only way I know to uninstall is to do a Factory Reset. I'm sure someone will come out with a one click root/unroot soon.

Looking good, thanks.

I don't have one of these phones so I'm not familiar with what all is out for it. I don't know if the recovery tool exists/can be replaced nor how to get into it on the phone. I see some folks are already deleting stuff then wishing they hadn't. If there are steps for a full backup of the phone that should be the first thing people do once they are rooted. If you can do a system dump of the phone then push that all back on with the sdk and adb that might be a solution if something else isn't available. I'm just tossing ideas out as I don't know but do believe a backup should be high on folks to-do list if they are going to root.

sprke81

Reaction score

Yea a factory reset will get rid of the installed Superuser.apk and the su, busybox. What issues are you having?

So you're able to successfully push the file to the phone?
Once you do that try a
Code:
adb devices
and make sure you still have a good connection to the phone.

Yes the file gets pushed fine but once I try the next step the cursor goes down to the next line by itself. I'm not able to enter any text or anything until I exit cmd and reopen it. As soon as I re opened cmd I typed adb devices and the phone still had good connection.

tonamaste

Reaction score
# # # # # # #?

1st off THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!
at the end of section 4 I copied and pasted all of the lines at once... and am now looking at # # # # # # # for like 10min now...
Was I supposed to copy each line seperate? or perhaps force a reboot?
:blackdroid:

*** unplugged and reset cmd back to c:rootfiles> continuing on your awesomely layed out rooting instructions now...

CONVERSING with my self I know but readers.... It worked wonderfully Super user in effect and titanium backup is a demo but can erase the verizon apps as well as activate busy box
thanks again!

jspidah

Reaction score
Someone else may have a better solution than this... but the only way I figured out how to get rid of Superuser was to do a factory reset. Chances are when you installed Superuser.apk you didn't have a successful temp root setup.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i just factory resetted and it went back to normal, then retried the process and it worked fine. thanks!

i had outdated Superuser and Busybox that I got from someone else's Root guide.

sprke81

Reaction score
I got it! Big thanks to all the instructions on here.. I had to restart my computer then everything went great. I've been hard at work with root explorer :)

mkzbdroid

Reaction score
acheived root

sweet guide...just a little confusion on my part. when I go into the superuser app I can see Terminal Emulator has permissions but how do I get other apps like Astro File Manager to have permissions? I thought they would just ask on install..so i deleted astro and reinstalled but didnt prompt me for it.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
sweet guide...just a little confusion on my part. when I go into the superuser app I can see Terminal Emulator has permissions but how do I get other apps like Astro File Manager to have permissions? I thought they would just ask on install..so i deleted astro and reinstalled but didnt prompt me for it.

A lot of apps don't require root access. Unless the functionality has been added, Astro doesn't work within protected system files so it doesn't ask for root permissions.

zwanzon

Reaction score
So I followed all the steps exactly and got stuck on section #3.

After copying and pasting: ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin after the $ and pressing enter,

I got this:
chmod 0755 rage rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
Unable to chmod rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin: No such file or directory

and then it went back to: $

Any ideas?