Overclocking Worth It?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Anyone notice any difference from overclocking? I don't want to put extra strain for nothing. I've oc'd before on other devices installing kernals roms and its only seemed to cause problems with minimal increase in speed. Im rooted and on 4.0.4 and have setcpu would I just need to flash a kernel to oc? Or do I need a custom rom?

Sent from my Googlaxus using DroidForums

SetCPU may be your problem. Last I knew, it wasn't compatible with duo core processors. I don't know if any gain will be noticed at our current processor speeds, but when my OG was running at 1.1GHz, it was noticeable.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums

For the gnex? Oveclocking isn't needed. There's minimal gain going from stock (1200mhz) to anything else.

Setcpu is definitely compatible with dual cores. Its been compatible for months. However, I personally don't really see the need to overclock a 1.2 ghz dual core processor

For the gnex? Oveclocking isn't needed. There's minimal gain going from stock (1200mhz) to anything else.

That's what I was thinking so I didn't want to do anything before knowing what would happen....thanks everyone

Sent from my Googlaxus using DroidForums

I think 1200mhz is the sweet spot. Anything above that and you're sacrificing battery life for minimal performance increase. Happy Modding!

I've overclocked my Gnex to 1.6Ghz with Franco's kernels and I was not overly impressed with the increase in speed. There was an increase in battery consumption though. Now most of the time I run at either 1 Ghz or 1.2 Ghz. and I undervolt rather severely. My battery life is excellent, the phone is stable and I really don't see any real world drop in speed.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it (well for now anyway!!). :biggrin:

Yeah I clocked mine up to 1.5ghz temporarily and I just didn't feel like the battery sacrifice was worth it.

All phones will be different since every processor is somewhat different. So adjust speed and voltage with care.

Thanks. Should have been more specific and said for Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Droid_Xer is referring to different phones as being different Galaxy Nexus devices. Each Galaxy Nexus is different in the exact, precise capabilities of each phone's processor. Thus, some Galaxy Nexus processors can handle higher clock speeds and lower voltage levels than other Galaxy Nexus'. The best method to figure out what your particular phone can handle is trial and error, but I personally don't really mess with overclocking (as I said earlier). A dual core 1.2ghz processor is more than enough for me as is.

Last edited:
Droid_Xer is referring to different phones as being different Galaxy Nexus devices. Each Galaxy Nexus is different in the exact, precise capabilities of each phone's processor. Thus, some Galaxy Nexus processors can handle higher clock speeds and lower voltage levels than other Galaxy Nexus'. The best method to figure out what your particular phone can handle is trial and error, but I personally don't really mess with overclocking (as I said earlier). A dual core 1.2ghz processor is more than enough for me as is.

Thank you for clarifying. I am new to the Nexus so I appreciate it. I am coming from DROID X and flased that constantly. So it's a little different.

Considering the processor in our phones is rated for 1.5ghz, I can't imagine that overclocking to that speed would be harmful in any way aside from decreased battery life...

Now, I also don't think that the CPU being OC'd would show a whole lot of benefit.

What WOULD show the most benefit for day-to-day use would be to overclock the GPU... But I do not know how to do that in Android.
I would imagine that going from ~540mhz(?) to ~650mhz (or equivalent jump) would have very little in the way of negative effects while providing a much more significant increase in perceptible speed than a CPU overclock, and would likely benefit benchmark scores for those of you who are into such things (and obviously increase framerates in games for those of you who play 3D-intensive games).

To me, the ideal setup would seem to be: 1.3-1.4ghz CPU speed with as much of an undervolt as I could get away with, while at the same time giving the GPU a 25% Overclock. I would bet on a solid 15-25% increase in 3D-intensive apps (games AND benchmarks) while also having a significantly-smoother User Interface, and little to no battery sacrifice.
However, I figure it is best to wait to overclock until the phone has reached a point where it actually needs it... Rather than risking a shortened lifespan for the CPU/GPU only 3 months into the phone's lifespan!

*snip*
What WOULD show the most benefit for day-to-day use would be to overclock the GPU... But I do not know how to do that in Android.
I would imagine that going from ~540mhz(?) to ~650mhz (or equivalent jump) would have very little in the way of negative effects while providing a much more significant increase in perceptible speed than a CPU overclock, and would likely benefit benchmark scores for those of you who are into such things (and obviously increase framerates in games for those of you who play 3D-intensive games).
*snip*

Overclocking the GPU may arguably be pointless too. I have seen it mentioned in more than one place that overclocking the GPU should have little to no performance boost, as it is limited by memory bandwidth. xda-developers - View Single Post - [KERNEL][GPL][19 MAR - #Milestone 2][NIGHTLY - 107] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3/4 | <-- Franco mentions it there.

Back