Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
This question popped up on my news feed and I thought I'd bring it here.

Would you give up waterproof phones in order to gain removable batteries? I know we had the S5 and Note 4 but they were water resistant not proof...

For me I really like taking the phone in the pool or lake with me and not worrying and with the affordable price of battery packs and the fast charging technology I don't mind not having a removable battery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I used to care about having a removable battery because it also meant you could also replace the back case cover with a different color without increasing the thickness of the phone or having to buy a case.

one thing for sure, when I did a lot of walking, I used to have to carry a sandwich bag on days it looked like it was going to rain. no longer have to do it with waterproof phones.

in addition as the original post stated, you can get battery bricks that will recharge your phone several times including being able to use the phone while plugged into the brick. also fast charge makes it faster so I no longer care about having removable batteries.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This question popped up on my news feed and I thought I'd bring it here.

Would you give up waterproof phones in order to gain removable batteries? I know we had the S5 and Note 4 but they were water resistant not proof...

For me I really like taking the phone in the pool or lake with me and not worrying and with the affordable price of battery packs and the fast charging technology I don't mind not having a removable battery.

Waterproof. With phones lasting 24hrs plus and fast charging, I'm ok with sacrificing the removable battery.

Thanks for posting.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
That's all fine and dandy...until you need to replace the battery after 3 years.

Thought it may change with the higher prices most keep their phones two years. imo 3 years should be no problems for most general users.

My note three lasted 3 years without much power loss.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Battery replacement time. On occasion I carry my offline S5. It's a great multimedia device. The original battery died. Luckily I bought a spare official Samsung battery when I bought the phone. The original battery died. It expanded. S6 and up would have been the trashcan. S5 was an easy swap.

I carry my S5 when working around the house or travelling. Not a big deal to drain the battery on the spare phone. I also use the S5 for accessing free wifi when travelling. I carry no important information on the S5. My primary phone has variable access to whatever. Data transfer is very easy when out and about with Wifi direct.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Old school I used to want a battery to replace... Now it's all about the waterproof and no need for me... I don't keep phones long time

Pixel 2 XL

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought it may change with the higher prices most keep their phones two years. imo 3 years should be no problems for most general users.

I never understood that, considering most of those people really can't afford it. I've had my Turbo 3.5 years and it's fast and does everything you need.

I'd consider a new phone, just haven't seen one I want. Everything the same size and smaller is now basically mid/low-tier phone and not really even an upgrade.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Battery replacement time. On occasion I carry my offline S5. It's a great multimedia device.

This, too. If and when I get a new phone, with a Qi charging stand my old phone will become a nice alarm clock.

JDH

Reaction score
here here Kodiak799, Got my Turbo 10/30/14, just had a factory battery replacement don locally. Motorola battery $16.00 on Amazon, $30.00 labor to replace by professional repair shop. Running like new. Full charge lasting two days with moderate to light use. If you need to finance a phone, you don't need it.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
here here Kodiak799, Got my Turbo 10/30/14, just had a factory battery replacement don locally. Motorola battery $16.00 on Amazon, $30.00 labor to replace by professional repair shop. Running like new. Full charge lasting two days with moderate to light use. If you need to finance a phone, you don't need it.
I'm generally against borrowing money as I hate paying interest on something when most the time I don't need it. I'm an advocate if it's not a house or in SOME cases a car if you can't pay upfront how bad do you really need it...

With that said I like the installment payments. It's an interest free loan. Why take my money out of savings when they are willing to finance me for free. I usually only get a new device every 2 years. I have found by then the technology has changed enough I want a new device.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
With that said I like the installment payments. It's an interest free loan. Why take my money out of savings when they are willing to finance me for free. I usually only get a new device every 2 years. I have found by then the technology has changed enough I want a new device.

Nothing wrong with financing a phone, for the reasons you stated. The point was most serial-upgraders can't afford those phones without a payment plan....which means they can't afford the phone. Not to get political, but there are a lot of things people "waste" their money on, then complain about not having the money for things they actually need.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Got my Turbo 10/30/14, just had a factory battery replacement don locally.

Seems like there are more than a few people on this board still happy to be hanging onto their Turbo. Been a great phone, and it's a tank.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Nothing wrong with financing a phone, for the reasons you stated. The point was most serial-upgraders can't afford those phones without a payment plan....which means they can't afford the phone. Not to get political, but there are a lot of things people "waste" their money on, then complain about not having the money for things they actually need.
We could have a great discussion about that and the sense of entitlement...

I feel fortunate I created a life for myself where if I want a new phone I can get one.

I've become a big advocate of battery packs lately. I had just gotten into swapping batteries with my Note 4 but once I got the Note 7 and utilized the battery pack and quick charging I have no complaints. I will be good until the Note 10 I believe.