Rooted and tethering

barski

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid X2 just to see if i could get this tethering to work. So far i tried barnacle, Wireless Tether, and WiFi Tether, with no luck. The network shows up on my laptop with all 3 of them but my laptop is unable to connect.

Anyone get tethering working successfully on there Droid X2? (and no im not going to pay for it...just so that's not brought up)

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have fun stealing!

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
whatever... sorry i asked.

ATR

Reaction score
I got wireless tether to work no problem. You just can't have access control due to the kernel. Set up a password to control access.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I got wireless tether to work no problem. You just can't have access control due to the kernel. Set up a password to control access.

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions

What app are you using?

When you say set up a password to control access, you mean go into the settings of the app?? or did i miss it?

While in the Wireless Tether App i enable wifi-encryption and setup a password, but my laptop still wont connect. The transmit power is set at disabled to and my laptop still see's it.

ATR

Reaction score
I'm using the old "wireless tether" app that was on the market before Verizon blocked it. You can probably find it on 4shared.

As far as the password goes, that's an in app setting.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
I'm using the old "wireless tether" app that was on the market before Verizon blocked it. You can probably find it on 4shared.

As far as the password goes, that's an in app setting.

Okay, I have that app. I dont remember reinstalling the binaries tho...ill give it a try when I get home.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
WOOO....Finally got it to work on my main laptop. It was a driver + software issue. If i installed just the driver and not the software it would work fine.

Last edited:

Haiasi

Reaction score
wifi_tether_v3_0-pre14.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.0-pre14 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I downloaded that specific version and set the following values:

Device Profile: Generic
Setup Method: WEXT (ad-hoc)
Lan Network Settings: 10.10.1.0/24

I'm not sure what specifically Verizon Blocked with their Droid X 2.3.3 GB update or with the X2 2.2.2 "Froyobread" (I call it that because it claims it's Froyo but acts very similar to GB and has the same tethering block and setup as GB along but with an added app shortcut in the drawer) but I believe that they've programmed it to interrupt all non-authorized attempts at broadcasting a wifi network on the "192.x.x.x" and "172.x.x.x" network ranges. However, the "10.x.x.x" range may have been left untouched due to it being a popular range used for VPN tunneling, a feature built into the phone.

I've tested this method on 3 X2's so far without a single issue. With the recent release of the full SBF file for the X2, I will attempt to dig for more applicable solutions including full infrastructure support.

To those addressing this as stealing...

I do not deny that this practice is without a doubt a breach of the terms of service for ANY carrier that charges for a wireless tethering feature, but at this point (and I apologize if I'm mistaken) I cannot find a single law, either state or federal that forbids the use of free tethering versus using a carrier's offered plan.

With the upcoming change to VZW forcing a tiered plan on their coverage, gouging the new consumers for their data usage, and still charging additional for their tethering without gaining any additional bandwidth is not only wrong, but unnecessary.

I look at it this way. I'm not stealing. I'm simply refusing their hotspot because I want to use the one I'm comfortable using. The idea that it is stealing almost doesn't make sense either because if that was the true case, VZW should be terminating member's accounts because they decided to use the Google navigation app rather than pay monthly for the VZ Navigator app.

One thing that I think they and other carriers are seriously overlooking is that they could have raining lawsuits from a wide variety of parties for violating the open source licensing of Android. They're blocking methods and features that are open source and charging for their own for an OS they do not retain any rights or ownership to.

But what bugs me the most is Verizon claims they've followed in the footsteps of AT&T with overloading their towers with bandwidth usage. Yet they are one of if not the biggest 3g provider with the most towers. They've also answered in response to why their entry data plan will only be for 2GB that the majority of their consumers (over 75%) use roughly 750MB of data every month. It doesn't seem to add up that such a small amount of data consumed per user can cause all of these "Overloads". Personally, I think the iPhone craze died down for them a little and they are just trying to get more money from the subscriber.

Clearly all my own opinions, and if I'm mistaken on any of it, I welcome corrections and more insight on the subject.