Rumor: Android 2.3 Gingerbread Headed To HTC Thunderbolt June 30th?

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Rumor: Android 2.3 Gingerbread Headed To HTC Thunderbolt June 30th?

De'Jonne Johnson | June 18, 2011 | Comments (0)
Ready for a midnight snack? According to a source of androidandme has informed them that the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt will be receiving the gingerbread update june 30th.​
This is music to the ears of many thunderbolt users such as myself due to the fact that this update is said to fix many of the main issues with the device. Those pesky reboots caused by the latest bug fix update(go figure)pushed from verizon is said to be addressed. As well as the simply abismal battery ife.​
And that’s not all, by the looks of these leaked documents, the update is set to finally introduce skype with video functionality to the thunderbolt as well as a working My Verizon app. Adding a few of the features many users expected to be available all along. The thunderbolt has definitely had a shaky start since it’s release back in March. But the addition of Gingerbread could finally give the device a bit more to offer compared to its 4G brothers the LG Revolution and Samsung DROID Charge. Meanwhile, check out these images.​
Can the addition of gingerbread save the Thunderbolt? Or will it be too little too late to save what has definitely been a let down so far? Sound off in the comments below.​

bases1616

Reaction score
I am optimistic that GB can save the reputation of the TB. I used GB on my Droid 1 for several months before I switched to the TB and I was pretty happy with it. I just hope it fixes the reboot and GPS locking issues. I am also looking forward to having Netflix and faster scrolling with GB.

zwegan

Reaction score
I can't wait.

I've been holding off on rooting until after the OTA gingerbread update.

wyld

Reaction score
Why wait to root we still don't have root for gingerbread. We have to sbf back to Froyo reroot and install rooted version of gingerbread from tbh for us to stay rooted.

Sent from my rooted gb DROID X 1.15 Ghz

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well apparently on Droid-Life they are saying this photo was a hoax and contains a lot of spelling errors.

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
well.... i feel that its a lost cause. i think this was a device that was released to grab market share before the big duo core devices hit the market. and that it wasnt 100% when it was released. reboots, poor gps, terrible battery life and all the cool and new apps like netflix, video skype dont work on this device. but i did miss my thunderbolt after i had to wait for my third replacement refurb. so i guess it is better than my moto droid in that aspect. but my moto never rebooted had fantastic battery life and was gps spot on.

but this is all my opinion heck maybe it will be just what this device needs? but why didnt they add the sense 3.0 also?

Maddox

Reaction score
I hope the gingerbread update doesn't cause my Thunderbolt problems with connecting to my car's Bluetooth like it did with my Droid x. I could never get my Droid x to connect to the Bluetooth in my car after installing the OTA Gingerbread update.

Reaction score
I think its safe to say that the TB will be bettered by gingerbread, at least slightly, however, don't expect GB to save all your problems. All I care about is the battery life issues being resolved. Gps and random reboots are problems I haven't encountered on my TB since I'm on GB, in fact, netflix and Skype (leaked version) work just fine and the GB UI is better however, what matters to me is battery life and in the end that's the factor that will save this phone from being a folly.

DAS BAMF 2.0.1. Beta 6

johnd09

Reaction score
I feel like it will make the Thunderbolt the phone HTC intended it to be. I think Verizon made HTC rush the phone when the problems with the bionic delayed it.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

rbw62

Reaction score
Why not just get supermarket 2700mh battery and all problems solved. If anyone knows of a 4g smartphone with good battery life, buy it and let me know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

phil1166

Reaction score
This phone is awesome with the exception of the battery life. I was at a party on Friday & I had my phone plus an extra battery. Both batteries died within a couple of hours. They were fully charged. I hope this update helps that

polish23

Reaction score
Why not just get supermarket 2700mh battery and all problems solved. If anyone knows of a 4g smartphone with good battery life, buy it and let me know.

Where did you find this battery? and is just like the other "super" batteries that are HUGE?

SquintyOS

Reaction score
Why wait to root we still don't have root for gingerbread. We have to sbf back to Froyo reroot and install rooted version of gingerbread from tbh for us to stay rooted.

Sent from my rooted gb DROID X 1.15 Ghz

I think you're thinking of your X. This is the ThunderBolt. I don't think tbh does stuff for the device.

OP
WoZzY

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yeah they said that Gingerbrerak A rooting App For Gingerbread will be able to root this bad boy when they update it

PhishyKris

Reaction score
I don't consider my self and English Language expert by any means, But I would love for someone to point out the spelling errors on that screen shot.