S4 freezes after being charged

BLeClair12

Reaction score
This happened to me for the first time a few days ago, and I didn't think much of it until it happened again today. This is the second time I've unplugged my S4 when I woke up, only to find the phone is totally frozen. The screen won't turn on, the buttons are unresponsive, etc. However, the notification light is still working. So, nothing looks out of the ordinary until the actual unplug, which usually wakes up the screen immediately. Today, when unplugging the device (and a few days ago), I unplug the device to no response, other than the continued blinking of the LED in green, signifying I have new emails.

A simple battery pull and restart obviously solves the problem, but if this is going to happen regularly, it's going to be quite a nuisance. For reference, when I restart the device, I do have a full 100% charge and it doesn't seem to affect battery life in any way. When I plug it in at night, I make sure the only two things running are Snapdragon Battery Guru and Light Manager. Everything else is shut down. I looked around but couldn't find any reports of it happening elsewhere, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'd venture to guess it's happening because (for whatever reason) by one or the other or a combination of the apps you mentioned. I'd try uninstalling them and see if it happens again. If it does, I'd return the phone for a new one. Just a guess, and that's probably how I'd proceed. It would be troublesome for sure. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck.

reybie

Reaction score
Has it done it again recently? I'm on my third freeze now. The last time was just in my pocket on the way home.

2385amh

Reaction score
I recently bought a usb wall charger similar to this Belkin 3-Outlet 918 Joule Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger | Staples® When ever I have used it to charge my phone I had a weird freezing. As soon as I unplugged the phone it returned to normal within a few minutes. I have stopped using the charger for my phone but just a heads up, some charger have this type of effect.

OP
B

BLeClair12

Reaction score
By the looks of it, it's Light Manager causing it. I've closed Light Manager for the past four nights before going to bed and reopened it in the morning and had no freeze ups. Looks like I may need to find a new LED app.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
By the looks of it, it's Light Manager causing it. I've closed Light Manager for the past four nights before going to bed and reopened it in the morning and had no freeze ups. Looks like I may need to find a new LED app.

Glad to hear you found the cause. :)

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
Mine was freezing when I used my old Motorola charger. Has never done it when using the factory charger that came with the phone. Just my experience.....

reybie

Reaction score

Thanks, I will uninstall Light Manager and see if that helps. I use the supplied charger at night.

OP
B

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Looks like I may have spoke too soon. After five consecutive nights of closing Light Manager before bed and having no freeze ups, I woke up to a frozen phone this morning. Same as always - LED notification light continued to blink to indicate I had emails/texts, but the screen and buttons were totally unresponsive.

I made sure to pay very close attention to everything upon restarting the device. It occurred to me as the phone connected to the network and my WiFi network that every single time the freeze up has occurred, the phone has immediately started installing a bunch of updates when I restart it. All pre-installed or proprietary apps for the most part, minus the ones I have disabled of course. I've turned off any and all automatic updating within Google Play and will see how things fare now.

Mjclover

Reaction score
S4 Freezing

Looks like I may have spoke too soon. After five consecutive nights of closing Light Manager before bed and having no freeze ups, I woke up to a frozen phone this morning. Same as always - LED notification light continued to blink to indicate I had emails/texts, but the screen and buttons were totally unresponsive.

I made sure to pay very close attention to everything upon restarting the device. It occurred to me as the phone connected to the network and my WiFi network that every single time the freeze up has occurred, the phone has immediately started installing a bunch of updates when I restart it. All pre-installed or proprietary apps for the most part, minus the ones I have disabled of course. I've turned off any and all automatic updating within Google Play and will see how things fare now.

Hi BLeClair12,

I was just wondering if you were still having problems with the phone. I have the same fault on my S4. I've removed all Apps, carried out numerous soft resets and hard resets. I've also reloaded the firmware via Kies but the fault still existed. The phone has just returned from my mobile operator stating the fault has been resolved after extensive testing the phone was frozen again this morning. Grateful for any info if you have resolved your fault but I think mine will be going back again.

debrad0307

Reaction score

Lite flow works really good too. That's what I use. There is a free version. You can set lights for missed calls, texts, emails, no signal, low battery, etc.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Hi BLeClair12,

I was just wondering if you were still having problems with the phone. I have the same fault on my S4. I've removed all Apps, carried out numerous soft resets and hard resets. I've also reloaded the firmware via Kies but the fault still existed. The phone has just returned from my mobile operator stating the fault has been resolved after extensive testing the phone was frozen again this morning. Grateful for any info if you have resolved your fault but I think mine will be going back again.

Sorry that I'm just seeing this now, but I am indeed still having issues. I've done a variety of troubleshooting at this point, including uninstalling apps, clearing the cache, resetting the device itself. Nothing seems to work. I've had it happen in as little as 24 hours and as many as six full days. It's seemingly completely random, no rhyme or reason to the freeze up at all. My update theory was shot, as it has since happened several times with no new updates awaiting when I turned the phone back on. I'm at a loss at this point, and am trying to determine if I should contact Samsung or Verizon from here.

It's an unfortunate issue, because I absolutely love the phone otherwise.

mike4410

Reaction score
If it helps I had a razr max hd. It happend so I returned the phone. The new phone had the same problem. So I got the s4. The lady from verizon said its a known issue with the razr max hd but also happens sometimes on the s4. Return the phone

Also have to add my s4 has been flawless. I think you have a bad phone.

Last edited:

reybie

Reaction score
It hasn't happened since I last posted on June 12th. Strange deal, the only thing I really changed was uninstalling light manager.

pault1

Reaction score
S4 freezing after charging

It hasn't happened since I last posted on June 12th. Strange deal, the only thing I really changed was uninstalling light manager.

Mine has started doing it both when charging overnight and when charging at work. I don't have Light Manager. Anybody else?
pault1