Texts going to wrong person

CyberLaw

Reaction score
So, has anyone checked whether the CONTACTS involved was still correct, or whether sync screwed them up?

As I said, we may be barking up the wrong tree if the problem is actually a sync problem.

I checked the contacts on mine, and they were correct. I also did nothing but exit messaging and re-open the thread a few times, and the problem "corrected" itself. However, the only real problem I had was that the incorrect name was displayed in the message thread. My reply went to the correct contact, despite the incorrect display.

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I just started having the same texting problem. Only with replies and the wrong contact that the message gets sent to is the last contact that I directly sent a message to. I checked my contacts list and all is fine there.

very strange, need to do some tests....

Domestic violence

Reaction score
i posted this exact question the other day... after a search of course (where i didnt find this thread).

i just downloaded handcent and disabled the stock messaging app--- so ill see how this works now.

DroidJim

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue described here. Somehow people are getting stuck into the same thread of messages. It seems to be mainly people with Sprint/Nextel & some with AT&T service that get grouped together somehow (although some AT&T people always work right). Then when I reply to anyone in that grouped thread of messages, it will always just go to the first person in the group. Very annoying & pretty dangerous.
If anyone has any suggestions aside from trying other messaging programs than the stock one, I'd really appreciate it.

PS I'm with Verizon & have the HTC Droid Eris.

fritzo

Reaction score
Same problem

My wife sent me a text yesterday, and my boss's name came up. I thought it was him at first until he called me "hunny bunny" :icon_eek:

I wonder if this has anything to do with Facebook sync? I have that turned on. My symptoms are my wife's picture shows up at the top of the screen, but my bosses name appears on her texts. Replies go back to my wife correctly.

BTW- I'm on the Moto Droid

DroidJim

Reaction score
Just an FYI, a total reset to factory settings (Droid Eris instructions here How to hard reset your Verizon HTC DROID Eris - Know Your Cell), fixed my issue of wrong text message grouping/replies going to wrong people. Don't know how it happened & hope it doesn't again.

If your address book & calendar are stored online with google like mine, it is really easy to get the phone back up & running after the reset. It didn't erase anything on my SD card, so just re-downloading apps is about all you have to do (kinda nice to clean out the crap i don't use anyway).

Last edited:

piercedtiger

Reaction score
Here's the problem I've been having. I have friend named Isaac. I rarely text him, but after texting him in the last week or so, ALL my facebook and bank notification texts are coming in under his thread. I've checked his contact details on the phone and in gmail, both are the same and correct. I tried adding contacts for the notifications, but that didn't help either. If I reply to that thread after a notification comes in, it goes to my friend. So if I wanted to reply to a facebook notification it won't work because it's replying to my friend.

It ONLY does it with my friend Isaac, and the facebook and bank notifications. The Facebook ones seem to come from a different number every time so it's pointless to keep saving the numbers to a contact. I just tried it for the hell of it with a couple. But the messages didn't move.

Exiting the app and restarting it or rebooting the phone haven't helped. I backed all my apps up to the SD card with AppManager so I could do a reset I suppose. But I hate to redo everything over one stupid issue. It's just frustrating as hell to see a message from him when I'm waiting for one, and it's some automated notification completely unrelated.

M

Matth3w

I've had that happen as well. I have all of my Facebook notifications saved to a Facebook contact (there's like 20 numbers in there at least). The other day someone posted something to my wall (I don't use Facebook all that often) and I got a notification from a friend of mine Jeremy. I opened it up and it was a Facebook notification.

So I figured, ok, I must have saved one of my Facebook notification numbers to his contact by accident...but I didn't. I checked and it wasn't under his name and it was indeed under the Facebook contact.

Not EXACTLY the problem you are having, but similar.

piercedtiger

Reaction score
I've had that happen as well. I have all of my Facebook notifications saved to a Facebook contact (there's like 20 numbers in there at least). The other day someone posted something to my wall (I don't use Facebook all that often) and I got a notification from a friend of mine Jeremy. I opened it up and it was a Facebook notification.

So I figured, ok, I must have saved one of my Facebook notification numbers to his contact by accident...but I didn't. I checked and it wasn't under his name and it was indeed under the Facebook contact.

Not EXACTLY the problem you are having, but similar.

Actually, that sounds like what happens to me. I get a new text notification, it says it's from the friend, but when I open the message thread it's a Facebook notification. Or one of the bank balance notifications.

piercedtiger

Reaction score
Well the difference is I actually have a Facebook contact.

I started a fb contact too. Actually have 2-3 numbers saved to it to see if it made a difference. With the contact created and numbers added, the notifications I used to save the numbers from didn't move. I would've thought they would have moved to a thread under the fb contact I created.

DroidJim

Reaction score
Here's the problem I've been having. I have friend named Isaac. I rarely text him, but after texting him in the last week or so, ALL my facebook and bank notification texts are coming in under his thread..............

That is really weird, because the bank notification thing is exactly how my issue started (I have Charter One). After trying pretty much everything (including deleting ALL texts & starting over), a bunch of people would always go into the same thread, & anytime I'd try replying to someone in that thread, it would just go to the first person. Doing the complete reset to factory settings is the only thing that worked for me (I also switched the bank notification texts to emails, to try avoiding the problem happening again).

piercedtiger

Reaction score
Here's the problem I've been having. I have friend named Isaac. I rarely text him, but after texting him in the last week or so, ALL my facebook and bank notification texts are coming in under his thread..............

That is really weird, because the bank notification thing is exactly how my issue started (I have Charter One). After trying pretty much everything (including deleting ALL texts & starting over), a bunch of people would always go into the same thread, & anytime I'd try replying to someone in that thread, it would just go to the first person. Doing the complete reset to factory settings is the only thing that worked for me (I also switched the bank notification texts to emails, to try avoiding the problem happening again).

Maybe it's a Charter One/Citizens thing (same bank, I have Citizens). Wonder if I could change it to email alerts, and use my phone's email address instead? Like maybe there's something weird about how they send the text alerts? God knows they've F'd up Mint.com with their changes.....

piercedtiger

Reaction score
New twist today... Another balance alert from Citizen's Bank sent from [email protected]. It shows up under my friend on the Eris, but shows as a completely different contact within gmail (user SMS Backup to sync them to gmail). :blink:

Copy of the email/sms from within gmail:

Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Subject: SMS with Agway Owego
To: piercedtiger
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:36:35 -0500
References: <[email protected]>
X-smssync-id: 3988
X-smssync-address: [email protected]
X-smssync-type: 1
X-smssync-date: 1266413795299
X-smssync-thread: 47
X-smssync-read: 0
X-smssync-status: -1
X-smssync-protocol: 0
X-smssync-service_center:
X-smssync-backup_time: 17 Feb 2010 13:37:02 GMT

KEFjY291bnQgQmFsYW5jZSBUaHJlc2hvbGQgQWxlcnQpIFlvdSByZXF1ZXN0ZWQgdG8gYmUgbm90
aWZpZWQgd2hlbiB5b3VyIGJhbGFuY2UgZm9yIEFjY291bnQgeHh4eHh4NTUwMSBpcyBiZWxvdyAk
NzUuMDAuCgpMb2dvbiB0byBPbmxpbmUgQmFua2lu
As you can see, it shows the email address of "[email protected]", but a from of "[email protected]". Where is that coming from?!

I had a contact called "Citizens Alerts" on the phone, but that didn't help. I could long tap the alert message, open contact "Citizens Alerts" and view the contact info (which was correct). However, the message tab was empty and never showed any messages from them even though I opened the contact info FROM a message!! :cus:

As a side now, the Owego Agway contact contains no email address, and the Citizens Alerts contact contains no phone number. However, I did delete the phone-only Citizens Alerts contact and created one via gmail to see if that sorts things out any.

Last edited:

uma

Reaction score
Had a similiar problem. Just got the Droid. The touchscreen was way too sensitive and it somehow mixed my contacts, jumbled them up. Even the pre-read texts changed authors. A phone number changed area code. I ended up, so far, with a 25cent charge for texting to someone's landline in a far away place. (the area code changed).
But the guys here in the forum showed me how to do a total reset boot and it worked! Now my screen is touchable and as far as I know nothing is jumbled around anymore. Hope your problem is fixed easily too.