Verizon WILL ALLOW Unlocked Bootloaders

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well to start it off, there was some confusion when someone asked Verizon if devices with unlocked bootloaders could be activated on the network. He asked
can we use phones with unlocked bootloaders on Verizon’s network?
Their answer was quite odd, to say the least:
No, a device with an unlocked bootloader cannot be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. *RB

Well it turns out it was all a misunderstanding, considering there have been devices with unlocked bootloaders prior to this. Verizon then tweeted with an update sayin that YOU CAN activate a device with a bootloader. Which also means that the Verizon will also allow the Xperia Play and others to be unlocked.

Screen-shot-2011-05-27-at-12.20.35-PM.png

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This back and forth is getting confusing. I guess its in the manufacturers hands now. And Moto is the only one taking a hard line stance so we will see.

sent from somewhere...

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
This back and forth is getting confusing. I guess its in the manufacturers hands now. And Moto is the only one taking a hard line stance so we will see.

sent from somewhere...
Hardline? What about that news like a month ago that Moto will be doing what is on the xoom to all phones?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im a happy guy, This means well have good support for our phones. Our community should be embraced by manufactures. They actually help their products with free support. I think thats why we are seeing all this. That and apparently the thousands of peeps who complain to manufactures.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait till they unlock all their phones!
Just another step.

FreeMyMoto!!!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Motorola won't unlock the bootloader and nobody can crack it, why does this news even matter? HTC is supposedly locking the new phones and I'm not sure about Samsung's stance

Sent from my DROIDX

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Motorola won't unlock the bootloader and nobody can crack it, why does this news even matter? HTC is supposedly locking the new phones and I'm not sure about Samsung's stance

Sent from my DROIDX

HTC isnt locking devices anymore. Look at their twitter.

CKD2

Reaction score
This is even more great news. Thanks for clearing things up.

Natey2

Reaction score

Trenton

Reaction score

sent from somewhere...
Hardline? What about that news like a month ago that Moto will be doing what is on the xoom to all phones?

hope!

I actually forgot about that...they said that didnt they! we'll have to see what happens with the next moto device....hopefully by the end of this century.

NYCSean

Reaction score
Can someone explain what an unlocked bootloader has to do with rooting a device?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Custom roms, kernels, and a completely unlocked phone!

Aren't people already rooting and ROMing their devices with locked bootloaders?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Yeah but you can add more stuff to the phone

Sent From My McLovin' DROID2