Video failure

aarong03

Reaction score
I recently started getting a failure message after filming a video. When I would go into the gallery to watch it, there is no video preview. Just a question mark and delete can. Video says, internal error and cannot play video. Anyone else getting this error?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
I recently started getting a failure message after filming a video. When I would go into the gallery to watch it, there is no video preview. Just a question mark and delete can. Video says, internal error and cannot play video. Anyone else getting this error?

uploadfromtaptalk1463278781853.png

Here's a screen shot of the failed videos.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Have you tried to transfer to a PC? I have not had this error yet. Are you shooting in 4k?

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
I tried, shooting in 4k and that's when i have problems. I switch back, and still have the issue. It intermittent not every time.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
I get the error message, file cannot be played unknown error.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you using an sd card and, if so, are you saving these videos to the sd card? Only time I've ever really seen issues like this, it turned out to be a bad sd card.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Yes i am saving to SD card. I formatted the card when i placed it in the phone. Also it's not every video, but like every other is when the failure happens. Should i just save to the phone and see how it goes?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would try saving to the phone for now. If nothing else, it will rule out the sd card as the issue.

Keep in mind though, 4K videos are HUGE files, so if you're shooting a lot of video, your phone will likely fill up quick.

Was this a brand new sd card, or one that you've had for a while? If it is the card, it could be an intermittent read/write issue. Do you know what class the card is? (Should say on the card, if you're not familiar) If memory serves me, the higher the number, the faster the read/write speed, so higher is better. I believe 10 is the best, unless something's changed since I had a reason to shop for an sd card...

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
I will save to phone. Yes the card was brand new. Samsung Galaxy evo 64gb, read speed 48 MB/s. Class 10

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok. That makes me think it's less likely a card issue, but I'd still try saving to the phone to see if the same thing happens. Could also be some sort of issue with the camera app, but I'd think we'd see more people complaining about it if that was the case.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Ok, took more videos and no problems saving to the phone. Also i noticed while saving to sd card when you stop recording the ring around start/stop button would take a long time finish writing i guess to the disk. So I'm going to do more testing and see.

wcjeep

Reaction score
I always record to the SD. I never use 4k. Sounds like 4k was too much for your SD.