Virus question, story included!

nakhleh926

Reaction score
For the sake of pg-13, words will be changed into happy things! if you're not interested in the story, the last paragraph has the question.

my thirteen year old cousin is over at my grandparents house, he has an OG droid, it's rooted if it matters.

I recently got my TB, I never tether, but I decided to try it out since it's free for a while, so I started it up and took out my laptop.

My cousin noticed that a new location popped up for wifi, so he asked me for the password, I gave it to him, I was in a 4g area, and he was on a 3g phone. he logged in and was on just fine.

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

I walk into the room he's in to see if he's torrenting or something, because my speeds got significantly slower, he hid his phone really quickly, so I took it from his hand, playing on his phone, was a video of...UNICORNS FROLICING THROUGH A FIELD WHILE RIDING...RAINBOWS...you can use your imagination. I kicked him off instantly, speeds went right back up.

THE QUESTION: I know that viruses are possible on android, I know the chance is incredibly low to get one on a device, but is there a small chance that my device could wirelessly get infected from hosting the hotspot while he was connected to it? even if it's a really small chance I'd just like to know if it's possible as well as if I should be worried about more than just a very naughty cousin. I don't even know if the site he was on was infected, but since I'm as paranoid as Charlie Sheen(in a not a coke addict kind of way), seeing...UNICORNS...always bothers me when it comes to technology.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I couldnt help but laugh at this lol....

I dont think a virus could push itself from one phone to another without causing some sort of notice to you. Maybe he was just streaming a high def video or something.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you're fine, the jury is still out on viruses asside from a recent scare but they were malware packaged in apps.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Viruses are not really possible on an Android phone. They are, and a few have been seen, but you have to install an app to have them install -- and so far all the "viruses" have been malware. Your phone is safe. If you don't think it is, do a factory reset as that should clear everything off it that would be infected.

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
thanks for all of your input guys :), good to know! was a bit worried.

ALSO, glad I could make someone laugh! :p

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yeah i was totally laughing about the rainbow unicorns lol

cnmsales

Reaction score
Was it Charlie the Unicorn?

[video=youtube;Q5im0Ssyyus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5im0Ssyyus]YouTube - Charlie The Unicorn[/video]

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Viruses are not really possible on an Android phone. They are, and a few have been seen, but you have to install an app to have them install -- and so far all the "viruses" have been malware. Your phone is safe. If you don't think it is, do a factory reset as that should clear everything off it that would be infected.

True for a non rooted (without being an elite hacker) device, but on a rooted device a rootkit would be easy to place and administer (I'm not going into any details). A rooted device in the hands of a common user (99.2% of all android users) can be comprised easily...linux has thousands of rootkits.. just like windows has thousands of viruses.

OP
N

nakhleh926

Reaction score
Yeah i was totally laughing about the rainbow unicorns lol

rofl, and no it wasn't Charlie the unicorn :).

I don't take candy from strangers, so I don't get applications from them either :p.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Never trust software from China or Russia unless you're able to fluently speak the language or trust the dev/company and I mean market apps as well.

No offense intended, I specifically mentioned China and Russia because of the amount of intelligence based malware these two countries generate.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Russia was the country that had the first malware infection of an Android handset in the wild. It was quashed VERY quickly, but it was the first place it happened. Also, all the new malware threats that get any attention from OUTSIDE the Market seem to be coming from China. So I don't think you were being offensive, just accurate.