Visual Voice Mail hasn't worked since M update

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just an FYI. Probably my phone.

Been working with VZW on it for nearly 2 weeks now.
I will say, I usually defend VZW when people says the Customer Service is sub -par... its been really bad with this ongoing incident.

They have not asked me to FDR yet.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I know you manage co-workers devices on your corporate account, but I have to ask, why not use Google Voice?
He doesn't want to assimilate to the Borg collective.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not sure I even did that. I do like that they offer the free basic VM where you can still listen on the phone without having to call, but not get the transcription, but GV offers more for less.

Though, I don't have it setup right now since I've been switching phones and resetting and stuff a lot lately. I don't get a ton of VMs, so it's really not that big of a deal to call it once a month or so when I actually get one.

Work is just about the only place that calls me. Everyone else hits me up on social media or via text message.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just an FYI. Probably my phone.

Been working with VZW on it for nearly 2 weeks now.
I will say, I usually defend VZW when people says the Customer Service is sub -par... its been really bad with this ongoing incident.

They have not asked me to FDR yet.

Are you using the free version or the paid version with the extras? I am using the free version on my phone and my wife's phone and we have had no issues. I think I saw a post on the Moto forum about VVM issues, but not 100%. Have you tried clearing the data for the VVM app and set it up again? I'm not sure if you even can clear data for that app? Or if that would be a good idea or bad idea?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
RE: GV. I have a GV # and thought of switching. Don't want to go through the trouble of explaining to everyone why I have California #.

Re: VM. It's the free version. VZW has had me Force Stop, clear Data all that. Everything. Gone through 3 reps. Bumped up to tier 2 and 3. Blabla

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
RE: GV. I have a GV # and thought of switching. Don't want to go through the trouble of explaining to everyone why I have California #.
You don't have to give out your GV number. You make your VZW line auto-forward to the GV number and then you've got GV on the same number that everyone already has. I have a Kansas number for GV and a local number here in Michigan that everyone actually use(d/s) to call me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very strange. Maybe a FDR is the only solution? Whenever you feel up to trying that. It's odd that it works fine for some and not for others. Have you tried putting your phone in Safe Mode, calling it from another phone and see if VVM opens then?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'll look into that, Johnny.

It won't even setup, Sajo. Every time it tries the initial setup, it fails. Error 9009. So regular voice mail catches them and I get a text from VZWVVM...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a little convoluted, because you have to dial *72(yourGVnumber) and a couple others to set up the forwarding. VZW hasn't supported set up of it for years now through the GV app.

But you can get your GV vm's and texts right through hangouts, so that's nice if you use hangouts at all.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ah...I knew there was something about that setup I didn't like. I don't like Hangouts for SMS.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do you have Hangouts on your phone though? Y'know, for Hangouts messages? That's all I keep it for when I'm not using GV for visualvm.

Also, I'm not sure what the Moto phone app looks like these days, but when I was trying Straight Talk, I tossed my VZW sim into the S3 and was able to select the option to forward calls in the S3 phone app's menu. That made that part of what would be the setup for GV a little easier. It dials the proper number for you.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I do. I use it for Ingress Hangouts of which I am in several. I don't like mixing my "Ingress Life" with my Real Life.

It's easier today to get GV working with VZW. There was something holding me back though when I looked at it last. Can't remember what.

Last edited: