Voice Commands not working

Papaw314

Reaction score
Suddenly today I cannot use Voice Commands to make a call. The app opens very briefly then closes with the error message "Unfortunately Voice Commands has stopped working". If I try again, the app won't even open nor does the error message appear. Then, if I reboot, the same cycle happens again. I've been on the OTA version of JB for several weeks and this is the first time this has happened.
Anybody have any experience in this or a solution? Thanks.

EdJanx

Reaction score
Hi. I have the same issue. What did you do to fix it? I have a Jabra Supreme UC and when I long press it, it formerly opened up the Motorola Voice Commands. Now all I get is "Unfortunately, Voice Commands has stopped working". I get the same thing if I try to launch the application itself from the phone. If it's simply broken, I would love to associate the Jabra Supreme long press with Google Voice Search, but have no idea how to go about doing that. Thanks!

kawipoo

Reaction score
Hi. I have the same issue. What did you do to fix it? I have a Jabra Supreme UC and when I long press it, it formerly opened up the Motorola Voice Commands. Now all I get is "Unfortunately, Voice Commands has stopped working". I get the same thing if I try to launch the application itself from the phone. If it's simply broken, I would love to associate the Jabra Supreme long press with Google Voice Search, but have no idea how to go about doing that. Thanks!
Try uninstalling the latest update of Play Music. Voice Commands should then work.

OP
P

Papaw314

Reaction score
^^I did what the above poster suggested, and also uninstalled updates for Google Books & Google Magazines. I also disabled all three. Maybe overkill, but I use Voice Commands a lot, and never use the aforementioned apps.

MeanJean

Reaction score
I had the same problem. Did as suggested in previous posts and and voice commands working.

EdJanx

Reaction score
Try uninstalling the latest update of Play Music. Voice Commands should then work.

Thanks kawipoo, this worked for me, but that sucks since I just moved all my music into the Google Play Cloud and liked their user interface update. I use it every day docked in my car, but I need the ability to activate voice commands even more. I wonder how we best get Google's attention to let them know they broke Motorola's voice commands? Unfortunately, Motorola's still works better than the Google Now voice commands, at least IMHO.

Last edited:

bobdrd

Reaction score
I had the same problem too. And uninstalling the updates to google play music did the trick. Thanks!!!!

pthims

Reaction score
Had same problem. Froze play music. Fixed the problem.
Thanks for the info.

dcookie

Reaction score
That fixed it for me.

Thank you for this - I uninstalled the Play Music updates and Voice Commands once again work.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem. Now fixed. Thank you for the info. How did someone figure out that it was Play Music that disabled Voice Commands? It seems like an odd app to mess it up.

chhare

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I too was missing the availability of voice commands as I drive daily for work and this was a bother. That is why I come to this forum, as somebody always has an answer.

chhare

Reaction score
OK, one more question. The only option available that I saw was to reset the app back to its factory settings, which I did. That solved the problem of Voice Commands not working. But then later in the day I noticed that the app was updating. I realized I had allowed the app to auto-update. Once again, Voice Commands stopped working. I cannot find how to set the updates to be manual instead of automatic. Can anybody help?